3D scanning Rapido's latest UK prototype...

rapidotrains

OK so how long do we have to wait to find out?

Quite a while. We'll give more clues as work progresses.

We're still working out the best way to launch this.  It will depend on what our partners plan to do.  Most of Rapido's UK releases will be done in partnership with UK firms.  This makes things a lot easier for shipping to the UK and for handling customer returns.

-Jason

• RMweb Gold

We're still working out the best way to launch this.  It will depend on what our partners plan to do.  Most of Rapido's UK releases will be done in partnership with UK firms.  This makes things a lot easier for shipping to the UK and for handling customer returns.

-Jason

I think there is a bit of space in Margate, The was apparently a rack with some very heavy moulds that you might be able to something about :-) http://www.Hornby.com/news/simonsays/a-very-apt-occasion/

I seem to recall reading (or watching a video) that Jason said their next release has nice buffers?

Also, is the train you've scanned the one that is in the photo or is that just to make us guess for ever so nobody guesses?

Some points to consider.

The train in the picture and/or the black blob hiding the train may or may not be related to what has been scanned.  Example, look at this picture Jason posted to tease the Amtrak F40PH - http://atlasrescueforum.proboards.com/thread/3106/rapido-coming-chicagoland - and note the blob has a pantograph.

While it is true that most of what Rapido produces is stuff Jason likes, he does (at least once) allow his co-conspirator choose a model hence the steam era meat reefer.  Of course said co-conspirator does like kettles (hence the trip to Cornwall), so while a kettle may be a long shot I don't think it can be entirely ruled out.

I'm going to guess at either a class 20/3 or a class 25. My reasons are the models haven't been updated for years, but could be about to be upgraded by Bachmann. They were/are go anywhere locos, that covered all regions eventually(I think). And this would make them appealing to retailers across the country.

Stephen

I'm going to guess at either a class 20/3 or a class 25. My reasons are the models haven't been updated for years, but could be about to be upgraded by Bachmann. They were/are go anywhere locos, that covered all regions eventually(I think). And this would make them appealing to retailers across the country.

Stephen

The class 25 bit would be logical, I have 2 Bachmann ones on my workbench at the moment that are having the cabs replaced.

The Class 442 wouldn't have worked on more than one region

I'd have thought the 170s, 320/321/322 could be discounted by the been done before in plastic but not for a very long time clue. Bachmanns 170s are current and Bratchell has recently had the 320/321s out.

From the tilting clue I wondered Class 91s and Mk4s, the coaches at least were built to tilt but never have. But would working on more than one region include just Eastern and Scottish regions?

Interesting!!!

• RMweb Gold

-Jason

So who is the partner on this one?

Is the ski reference is there for a reason rather than a random comment? No idea why, but if anyone can think of a loco that has some loose connection with skiing (name etc) it might help.

could be a scottish loco that operates the highland line up to the cairngorms

Could it be the Scottish Sleeper Service as that was last done by Hornby early 2000's and is multi region also travels up to the highlands thus incorperating the ski element

or could it be a loco that is built in Switzerland

• RMweb Gold

It looks like an air horn to me, but I can't match it to any prototypes.

If it is an airhorn (and that is the actual outline of the model of course) it wont be a 175 as they are in the roof on those, much to the annoyance of the drivers when they first came out (very very loud and right above your head!!)

• RMweb Gold

I reckon the 156 fits the list of conditions better than almost anything else (except possibly the dreaded 142 Skipper/Pacer).

The "done before in plastic but not for a long time" alone rules out most of the other suggestions.

Also, I think the ski reference might allude to the original Sprinter branding which (at least to me) always looked more like a skier than a runner.

John 

Archived