Bachmann/Olivia's Trains Direct Rail Services Class 37 Limited Edition

Hello,

I have not seen this on the forum, I have come across and ordered an upcoming limited edition by Olivia's Trains for a Bachmann Class 37 in DRS livery, running as 37402:

http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/model-trains/Bachmann-diesel/Bachmann-class-37/Bachmann-class-37-options-in-drs-livery/Bachmann-class-37-402-in-drs-compass-livery-exclusive-to-olivias-coming-soon/

Very surprised to find this, as I recall Bachmann saying no to Model Rail to commission another one last year.....

Starting from £125, but as shes due in April/May 2015 Ive put in an order! (Or least I think I have as it is via an email order form)

You'd assume that this model would be produced with other forthcoming class 37s especially the production run of 37405 also in DRS. This latter model doesn't yet have an anticipated release date on Bachmann's website so I'd be surprised if Olivia's version will be out by May 2015. Hope to be proved wrong though.

You'd assume that this model would be produced with other forthcoming class 37s especially the production run of 37405 also in DRS. This latter model doesn't yet have an anticipated release date on Bachmann's website so I'd be surprised if Olivia's version will be out by May 2015. Hope to be proved wrong though.

There are the 2013 catalogue weathered 37s due this May/June according to the Bachmann website. Though would be brilliant if the main 2014 catalogue 37405 was out in a few months time too. Shame though they did not venture away from the /4s. Model Rail were considering a /6 (with non-revised light clusters)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hmm. What I fail to understand is how did they hope to release a Limited Edition 37402 with Bachmann when the release date for the standard 37405 has also been put back until November/December. Disappointing really that one minute they can state April/May and then a few weeks later the due date has gone back 6/7 months!

Why didn't they just state this earlier on or put the advert on later on in the year so that people didn't get their hopes up and pre-order an item that now won't be here until nearly Christmas. Well I think we all know the answer... Its just so that they can secure some people to pre-order the loco and they aren't bothered that will have to wait an extra 6/7 months to receive the loco. Another poor service by this shop :nono:

Why didn't they just state this earlier on or put the advert on later on in the year...  Its just so that they can secure some people to pre-order the loco and they aren't bothered that will have to wait an extra 6/7 months to receive the loco. Another poor service by this shop :nono:

Why do some people always leap to the worst possible conclusion?  Have you considered that this latest information might not have been available to the store concerned when they listed the product for sale?

• RMweb Premium

Hmm. What I fail to understand is how did they hope to release a Limited Edition 37402 with Bachmann when the release date for the standard 37405 has also been put back until November/December. Disappointing really that one minute they can state April/May and then a few weeks later the due date has gone back 6/7 months!

Why didn't they just state this earlier on or put the advert on later on in the year so that people didn't get their hopes up and pre-order an item that now won't be here until nearly Christmas. Well I think we all know the answer... Its just so that they can secure some people to pre-order the loco and they aren't bothered that will have to wait an extra 6/7 months to receive the loco. Another poor service by this shop :nono:

Hi DRS/Dan/Dann/Danny 1997 or whatever moniker you're using this month.

Given Bachmann's supply problems (that seem to mirror those of Hornby's over the past 12-18 months) it doesn't surprise me. Olivias have little or no control over Bachmann's supply chain issues and they anounced the release based on information from Bachmann - so don't blame Olivias.

As an aside, How long was the wait for ViTrains/Rail Exclusive Northern Belle locos?

Does it actually matter if a model is late? Is it really that important that we must have the latest models this week or month?

Will it really affect the quality of your life if it's delayed? If you think you can do better, then go and commission a maufacturer to produce a special edition and let us know a release date.

Answers on a postcard please.

Cheers,

Mick

Whilst I'd agree this is not a life and death situation it can be frustrating to the customer (and retailer I'm sure) to be given such woefully inaccurate delivery dates.

You'd have thought that in January when the models were announced that it would have been clear then that an April/May delivery date was unachievable. A 6 month slippage in 3 months supports this.

• RMweb Premium

I never said that Olivia's have control over the Bachmann supply chain. I was simply stating that they are soon to add the loco to their website to try and get people to pre-order the model but then a few weeks later when you check the release date it is delayed by 6/7 months. Why not wait longer before adding the loco to the website to find out more accurate and latest information? That way it avoids confusion for the customer and disappointment for the customers  who have pre-ordered a model and then finding out that it will be nearly Christmas by the time they receive it. I just think that the business practice could be improved so that the customers are considered more.

• RMweb Premium

I never said that Olivia's have control over the Bachmann supply chain. I was simply stating that they are soon to add the loco to their website to try and get people to pre-order the model but then a few weeks later when you check the release date it is delayed by 6/7 months. Why not wait longer before adding the loco to the website to find out more accurate and latest information? That way it avoids confusion for the customer and disappointment for the customers  who have pre-ordered a model and then finding out that it will be nearly Christmas by the time they receive it. I just think that the business practice could be improved so that the customers are considered more.

When Olivia's posted the original release date of April/May, that's what they would have been told by Bachmann. That would have been their most accurate and latest information as you want. Now their more accurate and latest information is quoting November.

Maybe in a month or two, the date slips again and they update with an ever longer delivery? What then?

I'm still waiting for a the retooled 158 that Bachmann announced about two years ago, but I'm not whining about it.

There's enough negativity out there already. It's only toy trains FFS.

I'm off to the shed to put DRS decals onto my 37609 and 37423.................

Cheers,

Mick

Hi everyone,

I have a strong interest in the DRS fleet from a modelling point of view with several fantastic models re sprayed and created by Andi Walshaw and Colin and Mike at R3sprays who produce the full range of DRS transfers to make this possible.

As far as Olivias are concerned its not a shop I have ever been in or ordered from and I have seen the negative comments on here. Clearly its a successful and progressive business as they are able to produce models and limited edition runs of others that I'm sure many modellers want to see. As far as DRS 37402 is concerned they don't have control over the final delivery date and if it gets put back so what. 37405 appears in the main catalogue range but originally Olivias had hoped to do this as a twin pack as others have said they run in pairs so its good to see both locos produced.

If you don't want to order direct from them, then you can always get them from R3sprays instead as you currently can with DRS 37605 that they have jointly produced. To be clear here I am friends with Colin and Mike and can highly recommend them for there service. Whenever 402 is released I know they will have one for me.

Hope that is helpful to some of you after the model.

Thanks

Mark

I think we should commend smaller retailers taking the leap of faith and ordering a limited edition run in the current market place. They are powerless to control when the manufacturer can find a production slot and once that slot is found, there is no real certainty that the factory shall change the slot last minute for another model. This all adds into the uncertainty, but thank the lords Olivias have commissioned a limited run to go along with the main catalogue so we can have TnT and double headed DRS 37s.

I see the limited run of 512 has been increased to 750. Thus one would think modellers are supporting this brave company for investing in our hobby.

I pre-ordered mine when I first heard of it and then posted the link here. I got mine over Easter with their discount promotion and before the price increased due to Bachmann difficulty to plan prices in Chinese factories. If you ask me, I got a fantastic service and deal from Olivias. Always best to pre-order when first appear, as you secure at the best certainty! Speaking to Olivias, they sound open to further DRS limited editions and I hope with the success of the 37/4 we might see some 57/3s!

Side tangent: Britianna Pacific Models are making a DRS Mk2f DBSO to go with a 37/4 :D http://www.britanniapacific.co.uk/DBSO.htm

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

In fairness to Olivia's they have not required any payment up front therefore it is not like customers are having money tied up in something that will arrive when it arrives. If money is taken then I'd take a different attitude in expecting the supplier to meet an agreed delivery date with a reasonable allowance for possible slippage but if you are just placing your pre-order and will be billed when it arrives then if the schedules keeps moving back then c'est la vie, that is how model manufacturers seem to work these days.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Received an email today from Olivia's saying that they have unfortunately cancelled both of their limited edition Bachmann class 37s (37402 & 37418) due to them being made aware of a price increase (£125.95 to £137.95) only once the models had left China!

Wonder if they will now be sold direct through the Bachmann website like a couple of unwanted limited edition class 47s a few years ago?

• RMweb Gold

Received an email today from Olivia's saying that they have unfortunately cancelled both of their limited edition Bachmann class 37s (37402 & 37418) due to them being made aware of a price increase (£125.95 to £137.95) only once the models had left China!

Wonder if they will now be sold direct through the Bachmann website like a couple of unwanted limited edition class 47s a few years ago?

How can Olivia's cancel when they have commissioned this model from Bachmann ? Is this entirely correct?

Archived