Loco Hauled services to return to Cumbrian Coast

• RMweb Gold

It seems to suggest just one loco (not T&T), no idea how that would work. Maybe I'm just readng too much into it.

I wonder which diagram it will replace the 37 on?

The word on WNXX is that it is T&T 68's which will operate 1 of the 2 current diagrams alongside 1 x 37 and DBSO combo. That is to say starting Carlisle one day, BIF the next. 7600 HP seems excessive for such a big trundle but if it makes people happy so be it. I rather suspect that when TPE rolling stock starts to come on stream, the 68's will be whisked away to do what they were originally bought for! Hopefully DRS spend the time polishing up the old tractors and DBSO's but I am not holding my breath

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

. 7600 HP seems excessive for such a big trundle

Will the rear one actually be powered up?

The existing coaches will need extra cabling adding to run in multi (albeit not much as it's only a comms cable between 68s)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/fleet/council-leader-angry-about-unreliable-and-unpopular-class-37s-on-cumbrian-coast

I was speaking to a senior DRS guy the other week and reliability of the service has obviously improved since the 68s were introduced.

Strangely - 37 reliability has improved as well........................... !

Incidentally, the 68s are driven by DRS drivers, whereas the 37s are Northern.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally, the 68s are driven by DRS drivers, whereas the 37s are Northern.

How does that work out, presumably it's still a Northern service? Northern contracting DRS to drive its trains for it?

• RMweb Premium

How does that work out, presumably it's still a Northern service? Northern contracting DRS to drive its trains for it?

That's my understanding of it. After all, Northern contract DRS to provide the trains in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The rail replacement buses north of Carlisle meant I had a spare 5 mins when changing. 68004 and 680017 with 2C45 from Barrow

On the bottom photo that looks like the DVT behind the loco?

It’s a mark 2 DBSO (Driving Brake Second Open), similar function to a a DVT. It was used when it was one 37 on the coast, but they aren’t compatible with the class 68 so two 68s are needed and the DBSO contains a few seats so is kept for capacity.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It is supposedly the end of loco-hauled on the Cumbrian Coast as Northern now have enough DMUs to cover.

One rumour doing the rounds is that loco hauled is on for at least another week anyway.

DRS are contracted to the end of Jan, so may end up standing in for a non-available DMU.

Yep, Northern tweeted something along the lines of '' the 37's are available, but not rostered'' I spent the last day(maybe) on them Friday.

edit - And here's 37 424 waiting to leave for the last time on Saturdays ecs move to DRS Kingmoor -

post-8271-0-67166000-1546168243_thumb.jpg

Until Friday! As it is rumoured that the 0710 Car - Lancaster and return is going to be the 37 farewell trip. And it is my day off! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, for me, the last run now seems to be on the 11th , from northern's website-

''To commemorate the service of the Class 37s on the Cumbrian Coast, Northern and Direct Rail Services (DRS) have commissioned a farewell return journey between Carlisle and Carnforth on Friday 11 January.

The Class 37s were removed from service on the Coast and were replaced with DMU units on 28 December 2018.

The commemorative journey, on 11 January, will be the last chance for rail enthusiasts to ride on the 37s on this route, and to mark the occasion special keepsake tickets have been produced. All money raised from the event will be donated to local charities.''

And you have to enter a draw to ''win'' tickets, at 37 quid each! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ive just about recovered from this.

After a full day in London on thursday, I set off for the sleeper upto Carlilse thursday night, courtesy of 92028, dropped me off at 5am.

There was a lot of activity there between 5 and 9.. 2x2x freighliner 90’s, 68001, triple 66’s on a NR train, 70815 on tanks, and a TPE 68 and mk5’s on test.

37409/37425 did the job, sounded fantastic. 37425 is a bit smoky and has a bit more of a grunt to it.

Well run train, friendly staff and a really good occasion.

Money raised went to a local cancer charity and the cumbrian mountain rescue.

When they announced a raffle for a cab ride at £5 a ticket everyone started grabbing for £20’s for the book of 5, and remained alcohol free until the result was announced.

• Like 4