Network rail"s "Track machines" Tampers ect...

DR98008 made a rare appearance parked in the bay platform at Barnham earlier this week:

23095026943_584d9608a5_b.jpgNetwork Rail DR98008 Barnham Station 13/12/16 by John Upton, on Flickr

23093954734_9b1f1348d5_b.jpgNetwork Rail DR98008 Barnham Station 13/12/16 by John Upton, on Flickr

Hi,

Just to say that this unit is now used for Signalling Surveys using lasers and lots of sophisticated electronic magic as can be seen by the camera mounted on the nose, in fact it was instrumental in the design of the new Signalling around Birmingham New Street (being fitted out specifically for that project)

Simon 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

RailVacs 's 2, 3 & 5 at Doncaster.

Plenty of members of the 'Orange army' were surrounding RailVac 3, as it was put through its paces in the yard.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-89792500-1464800249_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just being curious. There are all these different track machines, presumably with many different cab layouts. So who drives them? They will need both route knowledge and know how to drive the particular machine.

On the mainline under normal signalling, the same BR RT3251 Group Standards apply, the Tamper driver is a fully qualified main

line driver. in an engineers  possession the standards are relaxed to allow non RT3251 drivers to drive within a worksite at slow speed.

The driver needs to be certificated, ie, passed out, on the particular make model of  tamper "Traction knowledge"

In addition Drivers are Operators of the on-board computers systems for track maintenance and design work, plus you need the ability to operate the tamping banks and lifting frame.

Tamper working is is a lot harder than being a passenger or freight train driver, 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo All

Could any kind soul tell me the allocated Net Work rail numbers for the Robel mobile maintainance trains.

The reason I ask is about three months ago,I was at Milton Keynes station , and the two cl.20s that went to the Blue Bell railway to collect the coachs for filming at

Kings Cross,were hauling what I think was an Robel M.M.T.

T.I.A.

Emte

• RMweb Premium

Hallo All

Could any kind soul tell me the allocated Net Work rail numbers for the Robel mobile maintainance trains.

The reason I ask is about three months ago,I was at Milton Keynes station , and the two cl.20s that went to the Blue Bell railway to collect the coachs for filming at

Kings Cross,were hauling what I think was an Robel M.M.T.

T.I.A.

Emte

9750x/9760x/9780x is the series.

Number info with his pic.

And 97502 etc being hauled by a pair of 20s

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

As I passed by Poole station last night I saw an unusual looking piece of track machinery, after a bit of research it would appear to be DR98217 - The Balfour Beatty drain train. Not something I've seen before. If its there in the morning I'll try and get a picture.

UPDATE: Typically it's gone!

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 1

As I passed by Poole station last night I saw an unusual looking piece of track machinery, after a bit of research it would appear to be DR98217 - The Balfour Beatty drain train. Not something I've seen before. If its there in the morning I'll try and get a picture.

UPDATE: Typically it's gone!

Would have been a Plasser TRAMM (98217) Made in England mid 1980's

Several have changed on Balfour Beatty for various other uses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The headcode for this was 6Z08, Georgie!! - 664J is the 'masked ID' generated by Network Rail.

It almost caught me out as it left York +45mins but missed the booked stop at Healey Mills B Junction and was only +5mins by the time it reached Brighouse, so I only just had time to grab my camera and get to the Woodhouse Lane bridge just up the line from you! 

Ah I see, thanks for letting me know, Russ, I never knew that.

To be honest it also caught me out by surprise with it setting off rather late, but I was glad to catch it as I haven't seen the working before, usually miss it because of work. I need to go try the bridge out at some point, I always forget about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hows about a bit of thread revival? 

IMG_3476.JPG.d727bf10fbf065c12848e421f31bc602.JPG

Passing south through Pulborough with the 10:25 Three Bridges - Three Bridges circuit. I would be interested to know why this was out and about. It ran from Three Bridges down to Littlehampton, and then returned to Three Bridges via Hove. I wondered if it was to turn the machine, but despite the circuit, there was a reverse involved, so it would still be facing the the same direction.

• Like 3