Dapol N gauge A4 (EP sample of the Valanced version)

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

I asked them directly about this on the FB page and got a detailed answer.

Response detailed here for those who don't use Facebook:

This model is a development of the old A4 consisting of  

'cosmetic' changes (a new body-shell) to the existing model and not a 

completely new design. As you have noted, we removed parts which could 

not be fitted under the valance (take a look at the fittings on the 

existing un-valanced model to illustrate this) and in fact would have 

been minimally visible due to the limited clearances. My hand built 

proof of concept incorporated these parts, but without a 100% redesign, I

was unable to incorporate into mass-production. Sadly modelling always 

involves compromise. The connecting rod will be more detailed in the 

production version. Overall our experience of the existing A4 and A3 

models is that it has been very successful with a low incidence of 

problems, We have, where possible improved production methods based on 

experience, but remain limited by the original design in terms of the 

overall drive mechanism which is currently used in all existing Dapol 

steam locomotives.

Tom. 

Only just noticed this. Great model Dapol but how about we get the A2's released first and then work on something new.

Why should Dapol wait until Farish release the A2 before they do this?? :scratchhead:

Certainly on the streamlined 01.10 and 03.10  there should be more valve gear visible than there is on the model.  I suspect also on the 05 as it is a bigger beast with the same shape of valance, but I'm not 100% certain.

Certainly Fleischmann, Roco and probably Arnold as well set the precedent.

If the motion is blackened it will be hard to see what parts are missing (I nearly typed "see the missing bits").

All the very best

Les

Isn't Bittern now running with valances and a double chimney just to throw a prototype spanner in the works?  Not to mention a tender with a corridoor it didn't have when new......

Les,

Aye, as you say, 4464 has a double chmney, valances and a corridor tender.

Regards,

Roy

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The valanced A4 was on display at Alexandra Palace today, and as expected the valve gear has been pared down somewhat to make it all fit. 

post-1467-0-89306100-1427557290_thumb.jpg

The body moulding looks good though. 

Tom. 

• 5 months later...

Having now checked the running numbers against the RCTS Green Guide- these five all CORRECTLY have corridoor tenders.

Having said that, I had a conversation with Joel and Andy at TINGs this morning.  They weren't aware that Gateshead's allocation of A4s  a} ran the whole length of the ECML and b} all had non-corridoor tenders.

Hopefully I've sown a few seeds there..

Les

Well done, Dapol !

One comment: some people have been discussing absolute micrometre accuracy in n scale models. As an artist, as well as a model maker, I'd take issue with precise accuracy over artistic abstraction. Is it the aim of a model to precisely miniaturise the prototype, or is it to represent the look and feel of the real thing through abstraction?

In my opinion, it's often better to apply a little artistic license - possibly overemphasising important features at the expense of micrometre accuracy - so the 1:160 scale model 'looks right'. As an example, I might omit those overhead electric warning stickers (which look more like dandruf than detailing in n scale) while adding slightly overscale rivets, to add a feel of solid ironmongery.

Anyway, if these valanced A4s run as well as my non-valanced "Bittern", Dapol will have another n scale winner.

Rick

Having now checked the running numbers against the RCTS Green Guide- these five all CORRECTLY have corridoor tenders.

Having said that, I had a conversation with Joel and Andy at TINGs this morning.  They weren't aware that Gateshead's allocation of A4s  a} ran the whole length of the ECML and b} all had non-corridoor tenders.

Hopefully I've sown a few seeds there..

Les

Having looked again and spotted my misreading, Bittern is correct for current day but not for pre-war.  

Les

Well done, Dapol !

I might omit those overhead electric warning stickers (which look more like dandruf than detailing in n scale) 

Anyway, if these valanced A4s run as well as my non-valanced "Bittern", Dapol will have another n scale winner.

Rick

headandshoulders.jpg

ALL IN GOOD HUMOUR..... :P

I had a look at TINGS.

The decoration of the valanced bodies looked very good to me but the missing valve-gear is just too obvious and my eye just keeps getting drawn back to it. I appreciate that on certain German models with deeper valances that conceal all the valve gear throughout a wheel's revolution this approach may be taken with no adverse visual impact. However with an A4 the fly crank and at lowest point in revolution fly-crank rod are quite visible and in my humble opinion just too obviously missing (look at the pic of Silver Fox above in particular and visualise where the missing valve gear should be). 

It reminds me somewhat of the pre-war Hornby Dublo A4 where a similar approach was adopted.

Still each to their own and if there are those who can accept the omissions fair enough and good luck to Dapol.

Roy 

• 2 weeks later...

we ran the valanaced mallard on our layout "moorside valley railway" at TINGS the full weekend, and i would like to add it was an incredible runner!

very smooth, hauled any train size/rake etc in forward and tender first directions with no problems what so ever!

so safe to say, Bittern and Mallard will be coming my way, along with an apple green one and silver one lol

• RMweb Premium

These look very pretty. The lack of valve gear is a shame, but with some careful trimming / thinning of the back of the valance and a general tightening up of the sideplay in the coupling and connecting rods it may be possible to put in the return crank and eccentric rod. N gauge models are far cruder and sloppier in the valve gear than they need to be. I have done a couple of skirted A4s, but these had the benefit of thin metal valances.

The corridor tenders for the silver versions are probably not quite correct at the back - they should be angled either side of the corridor connection, but the most obvious error is the open top for the water filler. This should have a more extensive cover over the space behind the coal hole. Not a big job to make a piece of thin styrene, or better metal, to reproduce this.

Tim

Archived