Plymouth model railway club

Albert Bridge

Hi All

Not sure this is the right place being a noobie to railway modelling. I have recently joined the Plymouth model railway club, having passed their vetting process. They have several layouts on the go, so I took a few pictures which I am posting on here. Sorry about the quality but I used me phone.

The first one is Merryfield lane which has been to a few shows.

post-25120-0-66825400-1420886997_thumb.jpg

post-25120-0-56685200-1420887014_thumb.jpg

Next is Ruan which I am told is going to the Bristol show in May

post-25120-0-18862400-1420887031_thumb.jpg

post-25120-0-73402300-1420887042_thumb.jpg

Next is a roundy roundy test track which is having some scenery added, I hope to learn something from this.

post-25120-0-42158400-1420887061_thumb.jpg

And finally their next exhibition layout, which is currently having the points finished.

post-25120-0-44304900-1420887085_thumb.jpg

post-25120-0-26204300-1420887097_thumb.jpg

I hope to learn a bit from the members, who told me to join on here to get any of me queries answered.

Bert

• RMweb Gold

Hello Bert and welcome to the forum.

This should really be in the "clubs and societies" section of the forum

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/49-club-society-info/

If you report your post to the mods using the report button on the bottom right hand toolbar they can relocate it.

I went along to one of the Plymouth club nights in 2009 when I first started working in Plymouth with the intention of joining, but couldn't get into the club house as it was locked and despite banging away at the door wasn't let in (they'd probably caught sight of me :) ). Perhaps I shoukd come along, but with a split existence Plymouth/Bristol I'm contemplating joining a Bristol club too.

Is it still in Devonport?

Neil

Hello Bert and welcome to the forum.

This should really be in the "clubs and societies" section of the forum

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/49-club-society-info/

If you report your post to the mods using the report button on the bottom right hand toolbar they can relocate it.

I went along to one of the Plymouth club nights in 2009 when I first started working in Plymouth with the intention of joining, but couldn't get into the club house as it was locked and despite banging away at the door wasn't let in (they'd probably caught sight of me :) ). Perhaps I shoukd come along, but with a split existence Plymouth/Bristol I'm contemplating joining a Bristol club too.

Is it still in Devonport?

Neil

Hi Neil

The Club has recently moved to Torpoint as the place in Devonport was not conducive to railway modelling.

Cold and damp in the winter and too hot in the summer.

Hi Neil

The Club has recently moved to Torpoint as the place in Devonport was not conducive to railway modelling.

Cold and damp in the winter and too hot in the summer.

Was that the one in Devonport Park?

A brief update on this week's doing's.

The lads have added some more detail to Merryfield Lane, including some additional ground signals.

The roundy roundy has had some plaster to the scenery, Finally the new exhibition layout has had an additional layer of timbers added to the existing ones as there was insufficient room for Ambis stretcher bars on the turnout's. "see Phil, I am getting my head around the terminology "

That would be why I couldnt find it the other month!

The building is still there and we believe it is occupied by an art group or something.

New members are always welcome at the club and visitors (by prior arrangement) to.  We will no longer hold specific open days for the public as this doesn't really fit with the new club layout being on 2 floors

E.

The building is still there and we believe it is occupied by an art group or something.

New members are always welcome at the club and visitors (by prior arrangement) to.  We will no longer hold specific open days for the public as this doesn't really fit with the new club layout being on 2 floors

E.

Thanks for the info, I have an impending house move (subject to the <deleted>  who is buying our house sorting himself out) and will be looking to join a club after that.

I am not sure about it being 'abroad' though!  :triniti:

Thanks for the info, I have an impending house move (subject to the <deleted>  who is buying our house sorting himself out) and will be looking to join a club after that.

I am not sure about it being 'abroad' though!  :triniti:

Well you'll know how to contact us if you do.

E

Well you'll know how to contact us if you do.

E

I do and I will, the good news is that the very nice chap* buying our house has finally signed on the dotted line!

* Actually he is still a <deleted>!  :triniti:

• 3 weeks later...

Things have been progressing nicely with the layouts in the club.

The main focus has been on Ruan, the lighting pelmet has been completed and what a difference the lighting makes to the look and feel of the layout.

post-6517-0-34558000-1423606102_thumb.jpg

post-6517-0-62038800-1423606092_thumb.jpg

Ruan is now ready to be exhibited and will be making it's full debut at the Bristol Exhibition in May, it did have a small sojourn at the Plymouth show last year and was plagued by running issues which have now been sorted.

Merryfield Lane has had a fair bit of work carried out on the wiring recently to enable the goods yard to be operated separately from the main line.  This has now been completed and tested and adds more interest to the layout operation.  It was hoped to use it this way at the Helston show in April but due to unforeseen circumstances Merryfield Lane is no longer able to attend the show.

The next job to being carried out is to construct new end boards to allow access to the fiddle yards.  We converted the layout to a continuous run a few years ago, although in principle this worked well we felt that there was not enough room in the centre of the layout for the fiddle yard operators.  We have decided to increase the radius of the end boards to allow for this, this will also allow us to run the goods trains with Spratt & Winkle couplings for shunting in the goods yard.

The boards are currently under construction and will fit to the existing fittings for the current end boards.

post-6517-0-00483600-1423606097_thumb.jpg

More progress will be updated shortly.

E

I paid a random visit to the Exeter show at Matford a few years ago and was extremely taken ( in the best possible way) with Merryfield Lane. I enjoyed its use of proprietary models and track which, when placed/weathered in this way can hold a candle to any of the finescale layouts IMHO.

I have, like many others I'm sure, spent immeasurable hours (happily) either constructing or scratch building models only to put them away for that one layout about which we all dream about.

Merryfield Lane actually gave me a mental kick up the backside and made me re-evaluate my current "stock" and thoughts.

I told myself it's about time I produced something which would let me "play trains" and incorporate RR models instead of soldering all that brass etc.

Sorry to ramble on, long story short, thank you Merryfield Lane modellers, I'm now constructing the baseboards and adopting your philosophy on this one.

p.s. Please do not think for one moment I am decrying the many finescale models and modellers out there, I applaud their diligence and skills.......I just wanna play trains ! :)

Happy modelling everyone, happy modelling :)

I paid a random visit to the Exeter show at Matford a few years ago and was extremely taken ( in the best possible way) with Merryfield Lane. I enjoyed its use of proprietary models and track which, when placed/weathered in this way can hold a candle to any of the finescale layouts IMHO.

I have, like many others I'm sure, spent immeasurable hours (happily) either constructing or scratch building models only to put them away for that one layout about which we all dream about.

Merryfield Lane actually gave me a mental kick up the backside and made me re-evaluate my current "stock" and thoughts.

I told myself it's about time I produced something which would let me "play trains" and incorporate RR models instead of soldering all that brass etc.

Sorry to ramble on, long story short, thank you Merryfield Lane modellers, I'm now constructing the baseboards and adopting your philosophy on this one.

p.s. Please do not think for one moment I am decrying the many finescale models and modellers out there, I applaud their diligence and skills.......I just wanna play trains ! :)

Happy modelling everyone, happy modelling :)

BGman

I'm glad we gave you some inspiration to get motivated.

E

Hi Folks

Due to other commitments, I have not posted for a bit, but as you can see there has been a bit more progress on Ruan  and Merryfield Lane is getting a bit of a make over in that a new set of connecting boards are being made after it was found that the slightly rotund members were having difficulty in access in the operating space. This should allow even the most overweight amongst our number to be able to operate the layout.

Most of the double thickness timbering has been added to the points on the new layout and the Ambis etches added to the point rails, the stretcher bars have been cut, but can't be fitted at the moment because hopefully the builders are in fitting a new lintle above the upstairs window. To allow this to happen Ruan has been moved in front of the new layout and the roundy roundy partially dismantled, hopefully on Tuesday normal service will resume assuming that the possession has been handed back.

Bert

The possession by the builders has not taken place, although the materials have been delivered, due to a problem with some machine or other, we wait with bated breath for a new start date,

Whilst this has prevented work on Ruan and the new layout, work continues on the new return loops for Merryfield Lane and a new power pack is being built for it.

There it is short and sweet this week.

Still not much happening, as the builders still haven't been. Phil is progressing an over bridge for the new layout, but everything else is on hold.

Oh and it looks like Steve and Phil might be going to Taunton next month.

Building work is now complete so Albert should be happy.

The club can now get back to some normality.

E

Very glad to say that "Tipham" is coming to Exmoor Rail in Minehead on 1st August!!!!!!!

See you there - next door to Minehead station in the Minehead Eye. (See exhibition forum for further details)

Best to all

exmoordave

It is in all it's glory, it's a splendid little layout.

tipham_7.jpg

E

Archived