Plymouth model railway club

Albert Bridge

Track laying is now complete, I did takes some photo's on me phone, but when I had a look  at them on the computer they turned out to be rubbish, I will try harder next week.

Phil has stuck down two points turnouts and just needs to make some adjustments. The points free board has also been wired up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it was time for a bit of an update:

Things have been moving on progressively with the new small Inglenook layout, both point servos are now fitted and working.  The scenery has been plastered and painted with a base coat colour.

post-6517-0-86137400-1441142699_thumb.jpg

post-6517-0-22635000-1441142705_thumb.jpg

I have removed and reballasted the piece of track in to the oil siding on East Wickersham as this was causing uncoupling issues with the Spratt & Winkle couplings so hopefully all will be ok now it has been levelled out a bit.

post-6517-0-98556300-1441142711_thumb.jpg

Finally Steve has been making the coffin boxes to protect Ruan when it is in transit to exhibitions.

post-6517-0-85667100-1441142714_thumb.jpg

There is plenty more going on and will update further in due course.

E

Phil, has been swearing a lot at board three this week, judging by the expletive levels, I think something may be seriously wrong. The NE /M region layout, Harry has started to produce templates for the platforms, they will be timber built, they will be lovely to build as they are on a curve. I have got some more photo's I just need to download  and resize them.

More with the photo's

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all

It has been a bit quite in the club for the last few weeks as Phil and Steve put an insulated false ceiling up in the hopes of keeping the room a warm but with less heating. Steve and Ian were on holiday last week and Phil has been doing a bit of slap dashing of the walls.

post-25120-0-28350100-1445164446_thumb.jpg

Sorry the quality is a bit naff but it is the best one that I took on my phone.

Have started to do the greenery on the small Inglenook layout with the help of Steve.

I think it is coming along quite nicely.

post-6517-0-78956200-1445528738_thumb.jpg

post-6517-0-06293900-1445528743_thumb.jpg

I need to build the derelict cottage for the front of the layout as it will be an odd shape so hope to make a start on that shortly.

E

In a departure from the way we normally do things we have decided to make the new layout DCC, we got to the stage of wiring the track up and thought lets just do it-so we did.

This will be the first DCC layout that the club has produced so interesting times ahead.

E

A bit of progress on several fronts this week, Steve is in the final throws of  wiring up the joint layout, Ian's shunting plank is being wired up and we aew trying to find a method of securing the PCB servo controller boards from MERG to the baseboards. Phil has been building buffer stops from the LMS range and they look very nice.

We also had a visit from a prospective new member, a chap called Nick.

Hi All

The two layouts now have names the Eastern Region and Midland Region Layout is to be called Wellmouth Junction and the Layout that Phil has been working on is to be called Ivyhouse Lane. I will be starting threads for each and will be linking them here. Progress has been made to both, but all the updates will be in the new threads.

EDIT for clumsy fingers on the keyboard

• 3 weeks later...

Wellmouth is now wired up and working, we will be using 2 NCE Powercab controllers, 1 for the mainline and the other for the loop and yard.

We did have a few issues getting the controllers to talk to each other but that is now resolved thankfully.

Now the track is sorted Steve has made a start mocking up the buildings using foam board, the layout is going to be more urban than countryside so plenty of buildings required.

This view shows the goods yard warehouses.

post-6517-0-40256400-1450000054_thumb.jpg

There will be a row of cottages backing on to the railway.

post-6517-0-09439400-1450000048_thumb.jpg

This view is across to the station.

post-6517-0-77754100-1450000050_thumb.jpg

The buildings will be covered in embossed card, painted and weathered to the usual standard.

E

• 4 weeks later...

Work on the new layout is continuing at pace with most of the structure shells now in place.

We have decided to change the name of the new layout slightly, it will now be Wellmouth Town (Change for Wellmouth Bay) this is to avoid confusion with the non existent junction that was in the original name.

E

• 2 weeks later...

The small shunting layout is now wired up and working after a few issues.

The points are operated using servos controlled by MERG Easy Points kits again after a shaky start with these all now appears to be good.

The opportunity was taken to do some testing with a Pannier Tank and box van.

post-6517-0-21323000-1453318532_thumb.jpg

post-6517-0-93441800-1453318539_thumb.jpg

Attention will now turn to the buildings and scenery.

E

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Plymouth Model Railway Club,

I would like to film a short documentary talking to the creators of some of your layouts, perhaps focusing on Ruan or Merryfield Lane, for example.

Are there any members who would be interested in this?

If you would like to discuss this idea further, please reply to this post or e-mail me: contact@areadmedia.com.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Adam

Hello Plymouth Model Railway Club,

I would like to film a short documentary talking to the creators of some of your layouts, perhaps focusing on Ruan or Merryfield Lane, for example.

Are there any members who would be interested in this?

If you would like to discuss this idea further, please reply to this post or e-mail me: contact@areadmedia.com.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Adam

Hi Adam

I believe that you have already been in contact with Ian, the club secretary, as it was mentioned at club last night. I expect that he will be in contact with you later.

Archived