• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

A cute little 0-4-0 and a windswept set of sidings.

You are a very, very naughty person.

20190413_195745-01-01-01-01.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

A cute little 0-4-0 and a windswept set of sidings.

You are a very, very naughty person.

And again.......this time on Sheep Lane.....

index-8-01-01.jpeg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Grahame. 

Most kind of ewe to say so. 

Another Norman Lockhart view of proceedings. 

{I really must weather that there B4}

20190414_141830-01-01-02-01.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
Really must sort out that brake gear....
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The backscene is quite effective, in a minimalist sort of way. Other than the fact that I now always think it's an extract from The Fighting Temeraire, it means your eyes are drawn the more colourful ground, track and rolling stock, which is what i presume you are after.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

The backscene is quite effective, in a minimalist sort of way. Other than the fact that I now always think it's an extract from The Fighting Temeraire, it means your eyes are drawn the more colourful ground, track and rolling stock, which is what i presume you are after.

Definitely a case of less is more

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

Thank you for your 'likes' etc. 

With regard to the back scene,  the normal state of play is that off a plain lilac backdrop. 

The cloud effects are as a result of some photo editing.

However this had the effect of getting me thinking about such matters and a 'Turner' effect 20190414_142219-05-01.jpeg.0a7a6ab70919edf564203402ccb992b1.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, westerner said:

Sorry Rob, I couldn't resist having a play with a low background, I hope you don't mind. I just cloned some of your foreground colours.

I like that, but I think to achieve it practically, Rob would need to add some physical depth to the board, otherwise I don't think it would work.

Al.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

Thank you for your 'likes' etc. 

With regard to the back scene,  the normal state of play is that off a plain lilac backdrop. 

The cloud effects are as a result of some photo editing.

However this had the effect of getting me thinking about such matters and a 'Turner' effect

Hi Rob, I hope you'll accept my thoughts on this.

With your plain background, it leaves it ambiguous as to whether what you see beyond the foreground is distant sky or land, and the eye can fool itself into interpreting it in a way that feels comfortable.

My feeling is that when you add the Turneresque clouds, you rather force the issue, and having clouds right down to board level, to me anyway, doesn't feel right for the longer, higher-level shots, and in that case I agree with Stubby that you need something to demarcate the horizon. For the low-level, close-up shots it works fine.

So, for instance, the first shot on this page works well, but the second one doesn't, so much.

I like Alan's edit above, of a rising ground level stretching back away from the camera, but I don't think you could successfully achieve that without adding some physical depth to the board.

Cheers,

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree, Al.  

The reality is that I am adding the background through necessity. All of the shots on Bleat are taken in the garage where Bleat is being built.

Bleat currently has no physical back scene  so what we would see is the inside of the garage. 

In a couple of days I should be adding the usual plain lilac back scene, once I have finished chucking the static grass about the place  

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Alister_G said:

With your plain background, it leaves it ambiguous as to whether what you see beyond the foreground is distant sky or land, and the eye can fool itself into interpreting it in a way that feels comfortable.

Well put Alister. For me the plain backscene is a key part of the minimalistic approach of your layouts, Rob.

But of course, we muzt let ze genious experiment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The reality is that I am adding the background through necessity. All of the shots on Bleat are taken in the garage where Bleat is being built.

Bleat currently has no physical back scene  so what we would see is the inside of the garage.

Ah, good point well made... :)

I have the same problem with long shots of Ladmanlow at the moment, the kitchen cupboards rather destroy the illusion.

Al.

• Agree 1