Many thanks Rob, very helpful. We were in Ikea on Friday and I couldn't remember what you'd used to have a look at them! I've written it down now!

Glad the show went well!

Keith

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

If these threads confuse you, there's no hope for the rest of us.

Quite......if you include me that's 98 confused people. 

Rob. 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob, sorry to have not made it to the show yesterday - I missed our chinwag.

You seem to have reached the point I did with the Pencarrow thread on here a while back. It started having a life of its own and would accumulate pages and pages of (funny at the time but largely irrelevant to the layout) posts if I was too busy on other duties for a while. It resulted in a pressure to post just to keep the thread reasonably on track.

Must admit it started getting me down. So I asked Andy to lock the thread and roll it back to the last modelling entries / discussion. That wasn't the only reason I restricted my posting here but a significant one - I mainly questioned why I needed to post so often and the amount of time spent on forums.

In a way, whilst I enjoy the banter, I sometimes wonder if it would be nice for a thread owner to have the ability to hide others' posts a month after they have appeared. That would keep the banter, which is often of the moment, for a while but then once it is of less interest it would disappear, keeping the older part of the thread focussed. Bit of a blog/thread hybrid?

Anyway, what ever you decide do it to suit yourself and to aid your enjoyment of the hobby. 

All the best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

Hi Rob, sorry to have not made it to the show yesterday - I missed our chinwag.

You seem to have reached the point I did with the Pencarrow thread on here a while back. It started having a life of its own and would accumulate pages and pages of (funny at the time but largely irrelevant to the layout) posts if I was too busy on other duties for a while. It resulted in a pressure to post just to keep the thread reasonably on track.

Must admit it started getting me down. So I asked Andy to lock the thread and roll it back to the last modelling entries / discussion. That wasn't the only reason I restricted my posting here but a significant one - I mainly questioned why I needed to post so often and the amount of time spent on forums.

In a way, whilst I enjoy the banter, I sometimes wonder if it would be nice for a thread owner to have the ability to hide others' posts a month after they have appeared. That would keep the banter, which is often of the moment, for a while but then once it is of less interest it would disappear, keeping the older part of the thread focussed. Bit of a blog/thread hybrid?

Anyway, what ever you decide do it to suit yourself and to aid your enjoyment of the hobby. 

All the best.

Afternoon Spamners.  

Thank you. 

You have pretty much summed things up and encompassed where I am. 

In terms of my approach to modelling, I certainly do not take myself too seriously....my sense of humour does get the better of me at times..........but there is a serious side to what I do. I do like to document my efforts, both as a personal record and with a view to sharing things that go well and things that don't go so well. 

This thread documents both and has detailed four years worth of progressing from an armchair modeller through three layouts, first exhibitions and even having a layout in a comic. 

Unexpectedly, people seem to want to share in this and ask where they can get info. 

At present, I think twice about pointing them here simply because I think they will struggle to find what they are looking for. 

You are bang on when you say you felt the need to post things just to try and keep on track and that is where I have been for a few weeks now. I am my own worst enemy at times but I find I am starting to think carefully about how I word things to avoid things going off at a tangent....and that is not right at all. At times I am applying my work head to what is my relaxation.........most definitely not right.

I'm very grateful to everyone who drops in and wouldn't wish to alienate anyone but I would like to keep things on track a bit more. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm very grateful to everyone who drops in and wouldn't wish to alienate anyone but I would like to keep things on track a bit more. 

That Indomitable chap, a mate of Mr Spams, stops the nonsense by posting the unambiguous words "Topic Reset". It seems to work. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

About a year ago I decided to cut down the number of threads I follow (still follow yours) as I found keeping up to date with threads was becoming too time consuming. Because of work and family commitments I don't always have a lot of time to spend modelling and would rather be doing something practical than spending yet more time on a computer or phone, something I have to do as part of work.

You may be aware Rob, I only post approximately once a week though because my layout is not on the exhibition circuit (yet) it doesn't generate the amount of traffic yours do. If I haven't got anything to say I don't post though my thread is more like a blog of the trials and tribulations of my modelling.

Your modelling rightfully deserves attention as you build excellent layouts, manage your online presence to suit you. I had forgotten about 'topic reset' it may be worth a try.

Martyn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hello Rob,

Thanks for dropping by at Armitage, it was great to meet you! I only wish I had taken time to return the favour, hopefully, another time.

Still Mutton looks really great to me.

All the best,

John.

Hi John. 

Thanks for the kind words. I've read elsewhere of your adventures during the show. I had one or two of my own which I am working on. 

I must say your layout looked  lovely. An interesting prototype, nicely modelled.  

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear your struggling with what to post here. I must admit,  I enjoy the banter here, on SOSJ, ANTB and Sheffield Exchange, but there is some frustration in loosing the real gems of modelling posts in among the general to and fro.

The blog format helps in that the actual content is top of each page and comments further down, but they can seem disjointed so there's no easy win sadly.

It's almost like you need an actual modelling thread for each layout and a separate social thread for off topic stuff.

Please do keep posting when you can though as your adoption and arrangement of off the shelf items is very inspiring.
All the best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks CK.........no relation......I think. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In other news, I am reliably informed by a 'friend' of the Sheep Chronicles that Mutton features in this month's BRM. 

Rob. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The link here is the fact that the Ticklemore Cheese Co in Totnes sell both sheep's and goat's cheese.

Please note the cheese in the middle of the photo:

20190613_120814.jpg.6610049298125fc9e61a3f9f6c23428e.jpg

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

But should we now call you 'Your Goatiness?' :P

Anyway, you're right next to Big Rachel. She's apparently quite wealthy and a bit of a fruit cake.

Crikey, that's all a bit much at twenty past seven on a Friday morning.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

But should we now call you 'Your Goatiness?' :P

Anyway, you're right next to Big Rachel. She's apparently quite wealthy and a bit of a fruit cake.

Nope. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The link here is the fact that the Ticklemore Cheese Co in Totnes sell both sheep's and goat's cheese.

Quite the best cheese shop in the land...probably! 

2045071456_Cheeseshop.jpg.5fa22a098ef4b046ec1d269b6e9b459e.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Returning to a scenario of serious modelling contemplation, one thing I am about to undertake is the use of DAS to supplement my ground cover on 'Bethesda Sidings' and I was very interested just to tap you up, Rob, please on how you apply the DAS to the layout surface, straight from the pack?

I think I recall seeing that you slice it very thinly, is this actually the case and if so, what are the tools and methods of choice to achieve this please?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Returning to a scenario of serious modelling contemplation, one thing I am about to undertake is the use of DAS to supplement my ground cover on 'Bethesda Sidings' and I was very interested just to tap you up, Rob, please on how you apply the DAS to the layout surface, straight from the pack?

I think I recall seeing that you slice it very thinly, is this actually the case and if so, what are the tools and methods of choice to achieve this please?

Perhaps a cheese slicer?

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Perhaps a cheese slicer?

Nope. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Evening CK. 

I have checked and I don't seem to have much in the way of 'work in progress' images.....so..........

Tool wise, I use an old kitchen knife to cut off pieces of DAS, generally going 'across ' the block and cutting 1 cm thick slices. 

These are then rolled out using an old small, tubular rolling pin courtesy of No1 daughter. I generally roll to about sleeper thickness. 

I roll on a cutting mat which I cover in plastic sheet which makes it easier to lift the DAS off. 

Once rolled, I cut the DAS to size/shape of the space in which it is to go. 

I then coat the area where the DAS is to be laid in PVA, spread thinly. Wait until it is slightly tacky then lay the DAS down. At this point you can roll it a bit more to fit the available space if needed. Trim off any excess. 

Carry on until you've laid it all then leave to properly harden off.  

Job done. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:53, NHY 581 said:

Evening CK. 

I have checked and I don't seem to have much in the way of 'work in progress' images.....so..........

Tool wise, I use an old kitchen knife to cut off pieces of DAS, generally going 'across ' the block and cutting 1 cm thick slices. 

These are then rolled out using an old small, tubular rolling pin courtesy of No1 daughter. I generally roll to about sleeper thickness. 

I roll on a cutting mat which I cover in plastic sheet which makes it easier to lift the DAS off. 

Once rolled, I cut the DAS to size/shape of the space in which it is to go. 

I then coat the area where the DAS is to be laid in PVA, spread thinly. Wait until it is slightly tacky then lay the DAS down. At this point you can roll it a bit more to fit the available space if needed. Trim off any excess. 

Carry on until you've laid it all then leave to properly harden off.  

Job done. 

Rob. 

These might provide a bit of a clue. 

20180724_164030.jpg

20180729_224604.jpg

20190227_201548.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh and by the way this rambling waffle has staggered onto 250 pages.......................

What's next?................well............ummm............I am tinkering with something...........perhaps not quite what one would have expected..............but..............

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1