• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Don't forget the little doggie that shunted on of the railway Works on the south coast, was it Newhaven or Brighton or some such?

A cute little Peckett might keep him company as well.

You wouldn't need a RR loop, just shunt in and out of a Works environment. Goods only, of course, including lots of Departmental traffic. Shunt-release the little doggie with the cute Peckett, if you want to come in loco-first.

No conventional passenger traffic, but modified Ratio 4-wheelers could be used for workmen's trains.

In terms of size, my planned 7mm layout would equate to something less than 4' in length, if it were built in 4mm scale.

Also, Brynllefrith, an intermediate halt and goods siding on the Vale of Radnor Light Railway, will be less than 4' in length, although admittedly not a terminus.

I also use Triang shorty clerestories as workmen's stock; admittedly they are not particularly prototypical but are only one compartment short and still not very long if you modify them by cut'n'shutting to the correct length.  One of the reasons Peter Denny chose to model the GC was because of the short coaches.

I've a vague future intention to lengthen my shorties...:crazy_mini:

• RMweb Gold

After a short evaluation, using Bleat Wharf, everything will fit. 

Decent operation is possible within the space available. Now to get an idea as to how it will look. 

Excited sheep. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I rather fancy a nod to the Hayling Island branch where in latter years, a Maunsell P&P driving trailer was utilised as a brake coach.....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I rather fancy a nod to the Hayling Island branch where in latter years, a Maunsell P&P driving trailer was utilised as a brake coach.....

Our Rock Band played at the Hayling Billy a few times when the Loco was still on a plinth outside. I think the Loco has gone to the IOW now though.

The Branch had been closed some time when we moved to the area.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Not really, a BCK is a method of providing all the varieties of accomodation, i.e. both classes in smoking and non-smoking, and the guard’s brake compartment, usually but not always with van space, in a single vehicle train.  It’s lack rather suggests a down market service where first class is surplus to the needs of the normal traffic.  

In my area and period, the Tondu valleys of South Wales in the 1950s, first class was not provided after the introduction of auto services in 1953.  But I have assumed under the authority of rule 1 that the punters on the Tremains ROF workman’s include managerial staff willing to pay for first class, so these trains include such accommodation. 

• RMweb Gold

Maunsell brakes were the norm on the Lamb Regis branch from about 1958/59 methinks. Prior to that it was the rebuilt Maunsell sets and had been for many years, 1935 on......? ( need to check the books on that one)

I hasten to add that this latest layout is not destined to be Lamb Regis.....neither is it set to be an ovine take on the Hayling Island branch. 

Nope, neither is it ex S&DJR or L&SWR. 

It is simply a playpen for the little canine types using what I have to hand. 

Rob 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I think the Loco has gone to the IOW now though.

Almost exactly 40 years ago in fact...

I'm hoping that Hornby will bring out a version with the island bunker, but in BR black Hayling condition as 32646. Looking at Rob's photos above though, I'm going to have to get 55 as well...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Maunsell brakes were the norm on the Lamb Regis branch from about 1958/59 methinks. Prior to that it was the rebuilt Maunsell sets and had been for many years, 1935 on......? ( need to check the books on that one)

I hasten to add that this latest layout is not destined to be Lamb Regis.....neither is it set to be an ovine take on the Hayling Island branch. 

Nope, neither is it ex S&DJR or L&SWR. 

It is simply a playpen for the little canine types using what I have to hand. 

Rob 

Butt it will need a name...

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'll vote for Baamouth.

Too Welsh..

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Baanehurst. Older readers may recall the oft-cancelled 08.14 to Blackfriars. Subject of a 45 rpm record!

Oh, you've reminded me of Baanes Bridge...