• RMweb Gold

There's also Woolmer, just over the border into Hampshire - that of course did have a railway...

Or for another fictional one, how about Sheepdene? -dene and -hurst are good traditional Saxon names, meaning valley and hill respectively.

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Nick C said:

There's also Woolmer, just over the border into Hampshire - that of course did have a railway...

Or for another fictional one, how about Sheepdene? -dene and -hurst are good traditional Saxon names, meaning valley and hill respectively.

"-dean" is also common in Sussex, as in Ovingdean - which doesn't sound too far from Ovinedean...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I see the layout as being in the Hampshire area, pretty much as per Havant/Hayling Island in the territory shared between L&SWR and LB&SCR.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Tweaking some of local names then...

Lambledon ?

Farelamb?

North Ramhunt?

I quite like Lambledon, Stubbers. Perhaps with a nod to the Hayling Island branch in mind,  my favourite location thereon is Langston. { Thought about it, complete with level crossing and allotments but I want a terminus}

If we narrow this down then...................

Lambleston

or

Lambston

Rob.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Lambston

Reserve that name. When you modelled the Callington Branch (haha) Lambston could take the place of either Albaston or Launceston... 

Just a thought. 

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I quite like Lambledon, Stubbers. Perhaps with a nod to the Hayling Island branch in mind,  my favourite location thereon is Langston. { Thought about it, complete with level crossing and allotments but I want a terminus}

Lambleston

or

Lambston

Rob.

Lambing Island?

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Lambleston

or

Lambston

Rob.

Being pedantic, that would be Lambstone with an 'e'. The Royal Oak pub there is one of several on the South Coast where, if you arrive at the wrong (right) time, you can't escape until after the next high tide.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I see the layout as being in the Hampshire area, pretty much as per Havant/Hayling Island in the territory shared between L&SWR and LB&SCR.

Rob.

There's a Ramsdean just west of Petersfield, as well as Langrish (Lambrish?). Woolbeding (which I mentioned earlier is by Midhurst, so right on the SW/Brighton border.

But Lambston (or Lambstone, they used both spellings at Langstone) sounds good, and fits the area.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed that this load of waffle has attracted 100 followers.

Thank you all for the input into what is turning into an ovine opus, tottering towards chapter four in the book of sheep.

The new layout will be known as Lamblestone, with due thanks to Stubbers for the nod.

A compact and bijou playground for small canine types.

Progress will of course feature on here and  will try my best to document as complete a record as I can between now and April 

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
to avoid confusion.
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Just noticed that this load of waffle has attracted 100 followers.

Thank you all for the input into what is turning into an ovine opus, tottering towards chapter four in the book of sheep.

The new layout will be known as Lamblestone, with due thanks to Stubbers for the nod.

A compact and bijou playground for small canine types.

Progress will of course feature hereon and  will try my best to document as complete a record as I can between now and April 

Rob.

I read that as the thread would feature Heroin, in which case High Lambstone would have been a good name......

Min D'altering

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

I read that as the thread would feature Heroin, in which case High Lambstone would have been a good name......

Min D'altering

Post amended Colin.

For the record, never happen.  

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It's funny what we do.  I am finally getting around to coaling the Radials ahead of the Minehead show, As such, I have mainly been looking at  the rear end of a Radial.

I didn't want to pop in too big a lump.

Rob.

20170709_195831.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

You mean like Rufus the Peckett and Fido the 'P?'

I anticipate three Terriers,   Mon Brave,  Rover, Rex and Roger.........................that may well have been a mistake as I anticipate several references being made to Roger the Terrier.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

So no room for Persephone, the little 'P?'

I did think about having a P, CK but ruled it out, deciding to stick with the Terriers.  I have to say I am quite happy with the first one. I know people have raised issues over the detailing and accuracy of the Hornby model but I think it will do.

The P is a charming little chap and I almost succumbed to a H class so nearly went a bit SECR..................but that was a bit too far the other way for comfort.   

Rob

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been looking for images of Terriers to reference regarding the weathering seen on these little chaps. 

Here's a corker. 

32646 (Ex Newington) Leaving the viaduct at Hayling Island. Photo Roger Gallienne. 

Rob. 

6409.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

No. I think I will side with those from Margate { and district !}, CK. I'm not convinced of the extra detailing being worth the additional £40+.

My first example runs very well indeed.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I have been looking for images of Terriers to reference regarding the weathering seen on these little chaps. 

Here's a corker. 

32646 (Ex Newington) Leaving the viaduct at Hayling Island. Photo Roger Gallienne. 

Rob. 

6409.jpeg

Be careful when it comes to renumbering Terriers - they were pretty much all different by the end. Note for example 46 above, with long bunker, original splashers, two coal rails, and the spark arrestor on the copper-capped chimney. I think at this point she also had a toolbox on the other tank, not visible in this photo. Other variations included the position of the extra lamp irons on the front - LBSC style as above, on the sides of the smoke box, both, or neither!

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Nick C said:

Be careful when it comes to renumbering Terriers - they were pretty much all different by the end. Note for example 46 above, with long bunker, original splashers, two coal rails, and the spark arrestor on the copper-capped chimney. I think at this point she also had a toolbox on the other tank, not visible in this photo. Other variations included the position of the extra lamp irons on the front - LBSC style as above, on the sides of the smoke box, both, or neither!

Absolutely, Nick. 

They are a bit of a minefield to say the least. Like you, I look forward to Hornby releasing the Isle of Wight bunker jobbie in BR black. 

That should do me then. 

Personally, I think that this modification improved the looks of the real thing. A moot point to some no doubt. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2