18 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I think I have enough reference material now..and therefore no excuses for not producing something that looks the part.......ish.

I'm flattered (ish).

Looks like you had a good Christmas.

All the best for the new year

TONY

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all. 

Sad news from Sheep Towers. 

58072 will be returned to works.  Initially, the running was very good straight from the box. However, yesterday I noticed a tight spot in one direction which seemed to be getting worse  picking the model up and turning over, nothing was readily apparent. I then noticed movement in the keeper plate, ( probably not far off 1mm in the vertical) which is retained by three screws. Looking closer, I could see that the screw closest to the bogie was very loose indeed, wobbly to the point of almost dropping out.  The middle screw was also  loose but not so much.  

Suspecting that this was the issue, both were tightened, not overly so, just enough to suggest purchase on the thread. Replacing the model on the track, nothing. Dead. Backing the screws off made no difference. A loosening of the front screw and applying power to the wheels and there was life but the mech was noisy, as if the gears were not meshing correctly. Gradually tightening front and middle screws restored a quiet mechanism. The rear screw was very loose and had to be tightened otherwise it would drop out. A quarter turn at a time and just when I thought it was just right........dead. 

And that is how it remains at this time. 

I'm of the opinion that there is a short generated when tightening the keeper plate down and that this may well account for the slackness of the screws to start with, perhaps as adjusted at the factory ? 

So rather than poke and prod about any further, I'm sending it back to Kernow as per arrangements made this morning.

My only concern is that by the time it is confirmed that it cannot be made better ( if that proves to be the case)  there may not be a replacement available.....

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Friendly/supportive 17

How much time did it take in the factory to figure out the right combination of turns to make it run?

Does that mean there are other locos out there with similar combinations that have not been noticed yet? 

And if they have taken the time to fix a loco through playing with tightness of screws until it worked rather than fail the loco at QC then it sounds like they may all be afflicted in some way.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

How much time did it take in the factory to figure out the right combination of turns to make it run?

Does that mean there are other locos out there with similar combinations that have not been noticed yet? 

And if they have taken the time to fix a loco through playing with tightness of screws until it worked rather than fail the loco at QC then it sounds like they may all be afflicted in some way.

Mine isn't. I've just given everything a good prod with a cocktail stick and nothing moved that wasn't supposed to.

That said, I've had Bachmann locos (1x 8750 pannier, 1x Jinty, 2 x 08) in the fairly distant past that ran a bit lumpy  or were reluctant starters until I backed off the keeper plate screws a quarter turn or so. All were fine after "treatment" and still are.

It used to be a common issue with Bachmann 0-6-0s, allegedly, and me encountering four tends to bear that out. Some model shops were said to check for it before putting locos on sale, but I've heard of very few occurrences in recent years.

John

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, having revisited the 1P, by carefully adjusting and re-adjusting the screws, I've managed to get it going once again. However, the 'optimum' adjustment still leaves two of the three screws loose and very loose respectively which results in a gap between keeper plate and bottom of the chassis. 

From certain angles you can see light reflecting from the inside of the keeper plate due to the estimated 1mm gap at the rear of the keeper plate. 

Reduce that gap by winding in the screws and dead stop. 

When it does run, its pretty good. Quiet, smooth and responsive but its not right.

Rob.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I could be completely off course here, but it sounds like a machining or distortion issue with the main chassis, causing everything to jam up when correctly assembled.

I still think its a short, Rob. The difference between the loco working and not is a quarter turn on the middle screw or perhaps a half turn on the rear. Either or will render the loco unconscious.

The wheels are still free to rotate and there is still a gap at the rear of the keeper plate with a couple of turns left on the screws at this point

I'm positive its electrical rather than mechanical so to speak. There is nothing to suggest that the motor is trying to turn but is being prevented from doing so. Its bereft of life. 

If I had this loco for a while prior to discovering this issue, I might feel compelled to investigate further, but its not run in yet and has been run in and of Bleat on only a handful of occasions. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, chuffinghell said:

Not the ideal solution but could you fill the gap with a little carefully crafted black plasticard?

Hi Chris, 

Yes,  Good thought. I could and have considered something along those lines but as above, it is so new, I don't feel able to compromise at present. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

If I had this loco for a while prior to discovering this issue, I might feel compelled to investigate further, but its not run in yet and has been run in and of Bleat on only a handful of occasions. 

It's most annoying, and inconvenient for you, but the only way to get manufacturers to address quality control issues is to send the damn thing back - the more returns the dealers get, the more likely they are to actually point out that there is a problem.

If everybody fixed their own problems with new models then as far as the manufacturers know there's nowt wrong.

It's so sad, after all the promise of a lovely looking model, but if it doesn't bloody work then it's of no use.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Chris, 

Yes,  Good thought. I could and have considered something along those lines but as above, it is so new, I don't feel able to compromise at present. 

Rob. 

Hi Rob

Quite right, you shouldn’t really need or have to do such things with brand new items

@long island jack‘s thoughts on the screws being over long causing the short actually makes a lot of sense, although you shouldn’t have to maybe taking a file to the end of the screw may help?

Chris

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Quite right, you shouldn’t really need or have to do such things with brand new items

Indeed, no one should have to fiddle and faff about with quarter turns here and half turns there. That all smacks of the now-familiar inconsistent Bachmann steam outline quality control.

Ruthless returning of inadequate models is the only way, until you get a good one (or a refund).

• Agree 10

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

Indeed, no one should have to fiddle and faff about with quarter turns here and half turns there. That all smacks of the now-familiar inconsistent Bachmann steam outline quality control.

Ruthless returning of inadequate models is the only way, until you get a good one (or a refund).

I am in total agreement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good point, even if the screws are bottoming out and causing a short (or perhaps pulling parts together that shouldn't be to the same effect.

It shouldn't happen, goods sold should be fit for purpose. That's the law.

Of course it becomes tricky when you outsource your manufacturing and the test samples are perfect but the batch is the actual build quality.

Sadly I think that the only recourse is to send it back as you are not getting what you paid for.

Manufacturers should get bombarded with negative correspondence too. 

• Agree 3