• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your observation and comments. 

Though extremely poor quality, these views show the fit of the keeper plate of 58072 when compared with S&D No. 54. 

20201228_143304.jpg

20201228_143326.jpg

20201228_143346.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Thank you all for your observation and comments. 

Though extremely poor quality, these views show the fit of the keeper plate of 58072 when compared with S&D No. 54. 

Any one else had a problem with bits falling off? On my 58072 both the whistle and two of the rear lamp irons have parted company with the body and certainly not due to rough or even careful handling. Close inspection shows they are barely attached. :angry: 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Though extremely poor quality, these views show the fit of the keeper plate of 58072 when compared with S&D No. 54

15 hours ago, Benbow said:

Any one else had a problem with bits falling off? On my 58072 both the whistle and two of the rear lamp irons have parted company with the body and certainly not due to rough or even careful handling. Close inspection shows they are barely attached

Not the level of quality one would normally associate with the products of Derby.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all. 

By way of an update, Kernow, as expected, have been exemplary and have requested that the little chap is returned to them. They have confirmed that they are regrettably unable to provide a replacement. 

I have therefore set about finding an alternative and can confirm as of  this morning I have done so. Once I have it in my hooves, I shall return the original to Kernow. 

Phew. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I have therefore set about finding an alternative and can confirm as of  this morning I have done so. Once I have it in my hooves, I shall return the original to Kernow. 

I think Sir has been very fortunate to find one.

FWIW mine had had a couple of hours on the rolling road in various sessions over the last 24hrs and seems OK.

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I think Sir has been very fortunate to find one.

FWIW mine had had a couple of hours on the rolling road in various sessions over the last 24hrs and seems OK.

Chris

Obviously the new one has to work........

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all. 

I am in a position to report receipt of an alternative 1P. 

Initial test run indicates no gaps where there should be none, no detached items which should be attached and a smooth, quiet runner in both directions down to an acceptable crawl to dead stop. 

One is not counting any Gallus gallus domesticus prior any hatching taking place but seems encouraging.

Rob. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You might be joking, but I suspect that is the major part of the problem.

That does prompt the question - Is there any 12" : Ft prototype for this phenomena?

e.g. Did the GWR have any similar issues with the pannier tanks built by outside contractors,

compared to the Swindon prototypes. ( No doubt other railways are available).

TONY

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, long island jack said:

Would be interesting to see what happens if you slacken those screws on the new 1P.^_^:D

sheep-967169-01.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

32 minutes ago, long island jack said:

Would be interesting to see what happens if you slacken those screws on the new 1P.^_^:D

Before any research in this matter is commenced , You would need a representative quantity of volunteers, (including one of your own? ) to give valid results. :jester:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

That does prompt the question - Is there any 12" : Ft prototype for this phenomena?

e.g. Did the GWR have any similar issues with the pannier tanks built by outside contractors,

TONY

Don't let CK see you casting doubt on Panniers.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

casting doubt on Panniers.....

All Panniers of Great Western Railway origin are lovely with the exception of those on found on bicycles ! 

As I don't have any experience of them on motorcycles either I cannot possibly comment but they could be painted green to look the part.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

TONY

Two examples come to mind, the Maunsell designed 2-6-0, which became SR class N. Post WW1 Woolwich Arsenal were given some to build to keep employed, these all needed a rebuild on delivery. Then you can contrast a Swiss built Sulzer diesel with a Barrow in Furness built copy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bgman said:

All Panniers of Great Western Railway origin are lovely with the exception of those on found on bicycles ! 

As I don't have any experience of them on motorcycles either I cannot possibly comment but they could be painted green to look the part.

Does that include the Hawksworth 15xx?????

Paul

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, bgman said:

I have to agree there, the best kind of pannier is made of iron and hung on the side of a locomotive.

Bicycle panniers: Get stolen the first time you leave the bike somewhere and forget to take them off (also see lights, pumps, saddles and quick release wheels)

Motorcycle panniers fall into several categories:

Plastic / fibreglass built in touring panniers. Guaranteed to shatter like a Fabergé egg with the slightest impact and be so expensive to replace the insurers write off the bike.

Aluminium adventure bike box panniers, designed so that you can kid people that you are a cameraman following Ewan McGregor across the Gobi desert, when you're actually headed for the tea van at Ribblehead viaduct.

Nylon throw over panniers, designed to flap about, upset the handling and either rub on the rear wheel or burn through on the exhaust, dumping your dry socks and spare unopened tobacco somewhere on the A49.

War department canvas panniers, will have taken on a peculiar shape during 50 years storage and put up a fight during fitting. Guaranteed to keep your possessions damp even in summer.

Custom cruiser leather panniers, complete with tassel fringes and chrome details, these look like the handbag my sister took to school when she was a Goth. Guaranteed to make you look like a member of the Village people motorcycle club.

Panniers originated in the middle east as a torture device used to shorten the lifespan of donkeys.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Motorcycle panniers fall into several categories:

Plastic / fibreglass built in touring panniers. Guaranteed to shatter like a Fabergé egg with the slightest impact and be so expensive to replace the insurers write off the bike.

Aluminium adventure bike box panniers, designed so that you can kid people that you are a cameraman following Ewan McGregor across the Gobi desert, when you're actually headed for the tea van at Ribblehead viaduct.

Nylon throw over panniers, designed to flap about, upset the handling and either rub on the rear wheel or burn through on the exhaust, dumping your dry socks and spare unopened tobacco somewhere on the A49.

War department canvas panniers, will have taken on a peculiar shape during 50 years storage and put up a fight during fitting. Guaranteed to keep your possessions damp even in summer.

Custom cruiser leather panniers, complete with tassel fringes and chrome details, these look like the handbag my sister took to school when she was a Goth. Guaranteed to make you look like a member of the Village people motorcycle club. 

Spot on. 

I recall a chum of mine with a pair of throwover panniers suddenly taking on the appearance of a crashing Messerschmit as his deodorant/aftershave was ignited by the hot exhaust during one memorable trip. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17