• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Have you the code for that donor model please Rob.:read:

Here you go Rob. 

Oxford Rail OR76MW6002B 6-plank open wagon in BR grey

And from Hattons website...

OR76MW6002B_3263819_Qty1_1.jpg.d7770c23d23a0de8b9d9d1cbd6a744a0.jpg

There are various different numbers available. Most places are pricing around the ten pounds mark. 

Rob 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

Your weathering is superb Rob! very, very impressive.....as always :good:

Thanks Chris. There are a few rough edges on this one. I might well be adding more planks in on the ends and other side. 

Possibly look to do a van as well. 

Rob. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I would be unable to accommodate that 6 planker on Cwmdimbath as it would show the rest of the stock up for the crude splashed on weathering that is the best poor old Johnster can manage.  This is superb, and runs rings around any of my stuff!

I used to plan layouts meticulously and with extreme care, but never ever managed to build one to the plan.  On Cwmdimbath I laid out the boards, started laying track at the 'town' end, and, when I'd gone far enough for a loco headshunt, put a turnout in and worked from there.  It has been my most successful layout to date, deceptively simple and not as overcrowded as some of my ideas have been in the past.  It sort of flows naturally, there is no dead straight track anywhere, and it has been altered several times since the first track was laid.  There was no plan, just a few photos of Abergwynfi and a general idea.  This has worked better than any planned layout I've ever had. 

I've broken a few rules as well.  The backscene, at a location that is in real life a precipitous mountainside, is scenic grass mat mounted at an angle of about 70 degrees, and worked up a bit with rock outcrops, foliage, and sheeps (see, I'm on topic), and the scenic break to the fiddle yard is a black card sheet in the area where one ceases to tbe aware of the scenery and the lighting sort of gives up and goes home, with a bridge in front of it to distract the eye, a sort of psychological tunnel entrance.  The lighting is led anglpoises between me and the layout; it is surprising how I am able to mentally tune their presence out, but I was determined to have my stock lit from the viewing side and not overhead. 

I have several 'layout' models, ersatz Colletts knocked up from cut'n'shut Airfix B sets, a Hornby 2721 worked up a bit, and such, but am inconsistent in my requirement for scale and detail, for instance, insisting the correct valve chest cover plate for my Bachmann 94xx.  What I try to do is the best I can, so the best 94xx I can achieve is the Bachmann RTR but the best 2721 I can achieve is a worked up Triang Hornby toy.  The principle is that, if it is a loco or coach that was at Tondu, I'll 'ave me a shot at it and do the best I can, even if the best I can is not that good. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

A third view then and I think the wood work is done. 

20210220_174258-01.jpeg.870e69324e7f8fe637631aa6459620be.jpeg

Y

4th 

20210220_174542-01.jpeg.0eaacc0988ac3bbb19293bf73945b949.jpeg

Y

There's a bit more that can be done but this will  do for now. 

Rob. 

No I'm sorry Mr Sheep person this is just not good enough. Where are the knots. You just can't have timber without knots. You have really let the standard drop here. What was the matter were you distracted? Anyway you only get a A - it could have been an A + but you didn't include any knots.

As always excellent work Rob.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 1

Atmospheric and inspiring pictures as ever, I keep looking at the leftover timber from my current layout and thinking I could build a little yard on that.....

Speaking of timber, wagons were built from straight grained first grade timber, knotty pine is for 1970's kitchens....;)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

I have no modelling plans for the weekend.

Now that's not to say there will be no modelling, simply that there is nothing specific planned. 

I may commence stripping the existing finish from the timber station building.......

I may mock up Outwool on the dining table... Yes, actually plan rather than lobbing things straight onto the baseboard and nailing them down. 

I could continue with making a few bits and bobs for Outwool or Lambton. 

I might well attend to a few jobs on Bleat Wharf...

Or I might just play trains.........

Stay tuned. 

Rob. 

Well, that went well. 

Woody wagon successfully diverted me away from anything that appeared on the the not a plan list. 

There's not so much time available today, certainly not this morning but hopefully, once a few things are sorted, I can try and tick something off the plan that wasn't a plan. 

But its not a drama if I don't. 

In an interesting development yesterday, The Memsahib flagged up an interesting idea from the IKEA Swedish baseboard shop. 

It seems that should you have unwanted items of IKEA furniture in your home, you can dismantle it and return it to your nearest store (subject of course to current restrictions) and receive money off your next purchase..............

Now, said Memsahib has previously mentioned that this initiative was on its way but it appears that it is either up and running in some way or due to start once restrictions are lifted ( more likely). At that time I failed to see the possibilities. 

However, following yesterday's update, it occurred to me that I/we have a couple of items in mind which are surplus to requirements ( in my opinion) AND I have a pressing need for some new baseboards........

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Atmospheric and inspiring pictures as ever, I keep looking at the leftover timber from my current layout and thinking I could build a little yard on that.....

Speaking of timber, wagons were built from straight grained first grade timber, knotty pine is for 1970's kitchens....;)

Well I did give him a A and said it was excellent.:D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The first steps then in tackling the station building. 

Windows out and learning by way of experience, I shall be squaring off the interior of the windows, the interior of which is too visible in the buildings for Outwool. As they are now painted and weathered, I won't be tackling retrospectively.  

However, I shall do so first off with station building prior to stripping the finish from the walls. I shall leave the roof and chimneys, making them accordingly. 

Rob. 

20210221_090117-01.jpeg

20210221_090106-01.jpeg

• Like 12

On 21/02/2021 at 09:18, 2ManySpams said:

VOTE SHEEPBLOKE

See BMRA award nominations.

Well deserved that Sheep.

Certainly is deserved, although may lose points for not keeping his flock under control:

wandering.jpg.3a1f06f06bcedf1ed7b8928a9c537096.jpg

Hafodyrynys Coal Preparation Plant. From this video at 2.40 :

cheers,

Steve W.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm liking the look of this already! 

Which is telling me that I need to get on with mine!

I agree in as much as I also like the look of this already and I too need to get on with mine

You need to get on with yours too though :P

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

So the consensus seems to be that we all must get on with it. Can someone inform me what 'it' is so that i can get on with it please.

Nice job Rob do you do private residences or is it just commercial buildings? If you do could you pop round next Thursday and give us a price for the lounge and the front bedroom please.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 2