• RMweb Gold

Morning Chris, Rob ,Martyn et al. 

Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad you've enjoyed the latest from the dining table. 

The powders repay time spent. Things may go wrong but don't lose heart. It can all be fixed, just practice on something that you are not overly concerned about first.  Be prepared to work and blend them. 

Can I also direct you to this series of splendid  vid joes ( Welsh spelling) from our very own Mick Bonwick. I really enjoyed watching these. They are clear, concise and thoroughly informative. 

A very nice way to spend an hour or so. 

Top stuff. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

20201030_122304-02-02.jpeg

One of your most realistic photos yet, Mr Sheepishscenario.

The bank at the rear could almost be a bit of a coal tip - food for thought, perhaps?

(Not literally, of course, I'm not implying that you should consider eating either coal or parts of your layout, that would be silly when there are perfectly good supermarkets out there, stocking runner beans, parsnips and other wholesome foods).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

One of your most realistic photos yet, Mr Sheepishscenario.

The bank at the rear could almost be a bit of a coal tip - food for thought, perhaps?

(Not literally, of course, I'm not implying that you should consider eating either coal or parts of your layout, that would be silly when there are perfectly good supermarkets out there, stocking runner beans, parsnips and other wholesome foods).

Morning CK..

I am gratefully grateful for your kind thoughts and take appropriate note of the vegetative information offered therein. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning CK..

I am gratefully grateful for your kind thoughts and take appropriate note of the vegetative information offered therein. 

Might one say that you are going to ruminate on it?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

food for thought, perhaps?

Sorry, I've just realised that that could be taken to imply that I am implying that you can only think when you have had some food.

My apologies, I appreciate that the ovine metabolism is a sensitive subject, but a decent trough does work for me.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

The December copy of BRM dropped through the letterbox this morning (well it didn't drop, it was shoved through with some force) and I've spent a pleasant half-an-hour reading your article on Sheep Dip. It's great, there's some lovely photos, and you've written words too.

Congratulations, it's really good to see another one of your masterpieces in print.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Al.

Thank you. Kind of you to say so. I really enjoyed writing the article and I hope it conveys not only my approach to Dippy but my modelling in general. 

I'm really pleased. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Now, about this 1920s  S&DJR BLT............

Rob. 

The little woolly cells are working...........( With due regard to Wikipedia.............)

"From Doulting, the Sheepey flows south west to Charlton, where parts of its course have been culverted. The river has been diverted underground for much, though not all, of its passage through Sheepton Mallet. It reappears at Darshill and then flows south west through Croscombe to Dinder where it flows through the grounds of Dinder House which was built in 1801 and under a bridge which pre-dates the house. It then continues west past Dulcote, Woollford and Coxley. At Coxley it is joined by the Keward Brook which carries the water from the springs in Wools which fill the moat of the Bishop's Palace. 

River Sheepey at Darshill

From Coxley, the river flows north through Hay Moor and North Moor, west through Ash Moor, then sharply south through Fleecemore and west through Godney.

At Lower Godney (where this is a public house named after the river), it is channelled through the James Wear River and the Decoy Rhine to Woolhay Level, where it joins Whites River and then the River Brue near Woolhay."

So................the game's ahoof.......!

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Rob, your mention of Visions of Steam reminded me that I also have a copy. It is a long time since I have looked at it so now is the time to put that right and a copy of BRM has just arrived so I have plenty of reading to keep me busy.

I have followed the sheep for a while and I like the overall appearance you get from your weathering, it is something that can be done without setting up the airbrush. Must give it a try.

Thanks fo all of your posts, always inspiring.

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

At Coxley it is joined by the Keward Brook which carries the water from the springs in Wools which fill the moat of the Bishop's Palace. 

Very clever.

You'll have to be sure that it is exhibited at Railwools one day. Ewe'll enjoy that.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

On 25/10/2020 at 10:50, NHY 581 said:

Now, in the interests of a warts and all approach.

This is how things can go the way of the pear. 

I work on the body separate to the chassis. 

An initial spray of Humbrol Matt acrylic varnish was carried out to act as a key and to deal with the gloss patches resulting from the removal of the Blue Circle signage. 

An here's  the result. It's clearly a tad chilly at Sheep Towers this morning and this has led to the varnish blooming on drying. The can was pre warmed in warm water and shaken well as per S.S.O.P ( Standard Sheep Operating Procedure). 

Irritating to say the least but demonstrating that things can go wrong. 

Now to fix it......

20201025_104416.jpg

20201025_104351.jpg

Thanks for the informative posts on how to use weathering powders @NHY 581. Excuse the ignorance but is it necessary to spray the model with Matt varnish before using these powders, or was that done to remove the shine from the area where the cab side logo was? 

I assume the model also got another going over with Varnish at the end of the process? 

As always keep up the good work!

• RMweb Premium

The little woolly cells are working...........( With due regard to Wikipedia.............)

"From Doulting, the Sheepey flows south west to Charlton, where parts of its course have been culverted. The river has been diverted underground for much, though not all, of its passage through Sheepton Mallet. It reappears at Darshill and then flows south west through Croscombe to Dinder where it flows through the grounds of Dinder House which was built in 1801 and under a bridge which pre-dates the house. It then continues west past Dulcote, Woollford and Coxley. At Coxley it is joined by the Keward Brook which carries the water from the springs in Wools which fill the moat of the Bishop's Palace. 

From Coxley, the river flows north through Hay Moor and North Moor, west through Ash Moor, then sharply south through Fleecemore and west through Godney.

At Lower Godney (where this is a public house named after the river), it is channelled through the James Wear River and the Decoy Rhine to Woolhay Level, where it joins Whites River and then the River Brue near Woolhay."

So................the game's ahoof.......!

Rob. 

Rob wow spooky that the Sheppy Sheepy I guess as you quoted runs at Dulcote just a mile from home! and I’ve for a long while had a vision of a branch from Masbury to Wells following that  valley. But stopping short just of Wells top of Constitution Hill where a Property sits beside the road with a glass canopy veranda all it what you will that could of been designed as a station..

looking forward to this brilliant stuff.

cheers

Ade

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, LBSC123 said:

Thanks for the informative posts on how to use weathering powders @NHY 581. Excuse the ignorance but is it necessary to spray the model with Matt varnish before using these powders, or was that done to remove the shine from the area where the cab side logo was? 

I assume the model also got another going over with Varnish at the end of the process? 

As always keep up the good work!

Afternoon LB. 

Yes to both. An initial coat is not always required but for reasons you mention, I decided to apply a coat ahead of the powders. The final sealing coat must be light. Too wet and the colours will be lost. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Very clever.

You'll have to be sure that it is exhibited at Railwools one day. Ewe'll enjoy that.

Yep. Would love to one day. Tentative plans were mooted to take Bleat there but then summat 'appened....

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, 88C said:

Rob, your mention of Visions of Steam reminded me that I also have a copy. It is a long time since I have looked at it so now is the time to put that right and a copy of BRM has just arrived so I have plenty of reading to keep me busy.

I have followed the sheep for a while and I like the overall appearance you get from your weathering, it is something that can be done without setting up the airbrush. Must give it a try.

Thanks fo all of your posts, always inspiring.

Brian

Good to hear, Brian and very kind of you to say so. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, KNP said:

Great article.

Pictures along with the shadows really set it off a treat.

Thanks Kevin. 

• Friendly/supportive 1