1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Rob. 

Agreed.

Remember, A J70 can give you a very nice…..............edge.

To people outside of railway fans,  (And probably New Yorkers) a J70 is some kind of weird sandwich...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

And it's going to run beautiful....

See, I can knock it off with them negative waves and say something righteous and hopeful for once.....

This is going to get silly isn't it?

Edited by MrWolf
Struggling to find 300 feet of bridge so early in the morning
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven't taken the trouble to seek out other stories about these J70's, so my experiences may be outside of my perceived 'ordinary'. At the time these were introduced I had three pass through my stock (I was considering something that included J70s, skinheads and J15s) and had no problems with any of them. Mind you, they were only run in on the rolling road and trundled around Easton's storage yards.

Are you just one of those unfortunate people who get the Friday afternoon models, Rob?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I haven't mentioned Horrocksford for a while.

I am of course grateful. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I haven't mentioned Horrocksford for a while.

Have they put their Christmas lights around the signal box yet ? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I haven't taken the trouble to seek out other stories about these J70's, so my experiences may be outside of my perceived 'ordinary'. At the time these were introduced I had three pass through my stock (I was considering something that included J70s, skinheads and J15s) and had no problems with any of them. Mind you, they were only run in on the rolling road and trundled around Easton's storage yards.

Are you just one of those unfortunate people who get the Friday afternoon models, Rob?

I think its just tight clearances and an inadvertent squeeze of the side skirts, Mick..

You can see the areas where the motion is rubbing on the side skirts here. The other side is okay......just. 

Rob. 

20201210_123001-01.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting. I'm sure that the one I had with side skirts didn't have any motion except the coupling rods. Can't prove it (not even to myself) because I don't have it any more, but I'm sure that was the case. Does anybody else have a skirted one without valve gear? I don't think that this is a case of failed memory or overactive imagination. I could be wrong, of course!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have an LNER one with side skirts.  It has the same set up as shown in Rob's photo.

It has only been test run so far and did not exhibit any problems, but I notice their is a little marking from rubbing near the rear wheels.  Only on one side and much lighter than above.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

☆☆☆☆☆ STOP PRESS ☆☆☆☆☆

S&DJR 1P has arrived.......a sneaky peep indicates it is a stunning bit of kit.......Senior Memsahib Stealth Elf appeared from nowhere and has now applied wrapping...update in a little over two weeks...

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

After the flurry of new loco arrivals, things will settle down a bit now. 

The Wisbleat and Upwool caper will start coming together shortly and whilst doing that I'll give some thought to a home for  the two examples of the Bachmann 1P. 

58072 is a Somerset engine and a long time favourite of mine,  so its appearance at Bleat Wharf should not come as a surprise. Bleat Wharf  is of course accessed from a spur from the terminus at Bleatwater which in turn is  at the end of the branch running from the junction on the Highbleat line at  Eweington Burtle. 

54 (S&DJR) will be a bit different. I have other S&DJR liveried locos but there is now a need the for a 3F to accompany 54. I have long held plans to rebrand both a 3F and a 4F into S&D Black and have examples of both a BR 3F and a Midland 4F in stock. The 4F has the Ramsbottom safety vales already, whereas the 3F will require the removal of the Ross Pop jobbies and the addition of a white metal casting. Other bits (additional front sandboxes) will be required but thats basically it.  

Plenty to think about then, one new project in the East involving a new to me railway (Great Eastern) followed by one in the West involving a very old friend ( S&DJR) along with the  7mm stuff bubbling away in the background.......oh and I've not forgotten Lamb Regis either..

I have to say that this would appear to be more than enough to be going on with for now.....

Rob. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1