• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

No one can accuse you of woolly thinking, Rob.

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ewe certainly know how to ram home your point, CK.

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Morning Rob,

Looks like you will have enough material available for an entire set of sheep chronicles detailing pretty much the entire country's less polished rail tops. A new testament version as it were...

I thank ewe. Most kind of you all. 

The latest addition to the library at Château Mouton. 

A 1972 reprint of the 1966 original. Lovely condition, practically as new and very much of its time. Delightful and all the more so by way of the contribution from the Rev W Awdry. 

I'm looking forward to settling into one's favourite chair with this one. 

20201211_121905-01.jpeg

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I just love that distressed 'cowcatcher'. A modelling challenge? :rolleyes:

Maybe they rammed the cowcatcher into something solid to try and spring the side skirts outwards, stop them rubbing on the motion?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

44 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Maybe they rammed the cowcatcher into something solid to try and spring the side skirts outwards, stop them rubbing on the motion?

Must have worked because it looks as though the side skirt is angled slightly outward from the top.  Maybe the real thing had the same issue?

Roja

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Must have worked because it looks as though the side skirt is angled slightly outward from the top.  Maybe the real thing had the same issue?

Roja

It just occurred to me that it could be possible to remove the existing plastic ones on the body and replace them with some scratch built ones in either nickel silver or brass suitably hinged as on the prototype ? It would probably save the faff with the motion if done correctly.

It's all possible.

Just a thought.

G

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've sat outside the hotel at Devil's Bridge a few times and had just that thought!

The Victoria Tea rooms. 

A lovely old world stop after the run up the Elan Valley via the mountain road from Rhayader. 

Top stuff. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

5D29B132-0AD3-406A-9DEB-A025C65B24DF.jpeg.2d7d6ff7446f2a9176d69b57536e6224.jpegSomething of interest re Outwool?

North Quay, Yarmouth with a goods train heading to Yarmouth Docks having originated from Yarmouth Vauxhall goods yard via Vauxhall Bridge. Providing the motive power is James Holden-designed BR Class J70 0-6-0T Steam Tram No. 68219. A near-empty coal lorry passes by the other way. Photo was taken on Friday 31st August 1951. (Colourised by me). Credit Russell Walker.

FB group Memories of Norfolk’s old railways and stations..

What a picture! Just gorgeous!

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

16 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

A lovely old world stop after the run up the Elan Valley via the mountain road from Rhayader. 

The Elan Valley, a lovely run through there. 
There's an excellent Oakwood Press book on the construction of the dams.
Back in the 1970's I use to travel over there a lot, from Malvern to Aberystwyth,
were I was doing research work (railway hobby related) at the National Library. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The Elan Valley is a must do on the bike when all of this  starts to ease a tad. That and a run to Hay on Wye to visit the book shops via Llanthony. 

It's something to look forward to although its not all bad at present. Time off before Christmas, a new layout being plotted and all that festive stuff. 

I think I'm okay with the running of the J70 for now. Extensive testing on the dining table has helped and the removal of part of the motion has eradicated a slight but noticeable 'click' when scampering about the place.  

Mind you, it's still tricky to glide to a stop. Little chap has a habit of slowing to a crawl then stopping suddenly, just before it would have  naturally halted  if that makes sense. However, if I really concentrate then I can manage a smooth stop.........a little light oil on the controller also helped. Just need to oil my thumb now. 

Rob. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• NHY 581 changed the title to The Sheep Chronicles : Chapter 5: Outwool. A pastoral corner of the Wisbleat and Upwool.......The Sheep goes East. These are the continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart, connoisseur of traditional British breakfasts and fine cream teas.
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Spot on. Interesting to note that 68219 does not have skirts on. All that waggly valve gear.

The colourised image has red buffer beams  not something the real thing has and I've tweaked the image to reflect this. 

Rob. 

131028130_10158707679893397_217607012435954423_o-01.jpeg

Blast you Sirs, I already have a couple of skirted J70s and now I am going to have to acquire one without skirts for the street running extension I am building for my cameo Kingfisher Wharf (a cameo within a cameo??)

What a wonderful image though.

Edited by vaughan45
Edited to remove 'micro' as the juxtaposition of the words micro & skirt may alarm the reader
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

Its been a while but Norman Lockhart popped into Bleat Wharf and snapped this view of the yard in between services. 

Rob. 

20201212_190835-01.jpeg

Both the colour and the details are as wonderfully atmospheric as ever.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A micro skirt is often just a belt with delusions of grandeur who got a fancy job title instead of a raise...

My late school music master used to instruct the girls on the dress code for concerts: "No pelmets".

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6