20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

More please. 

I have spoken. 

Porcers is trying to find the time. This lock-down  (and my time management technique) is causing massive back logs). Folk keep leaving me presents on my front doorstep to fix. Tomorrow it's a Pentroller.

In the meantime hope you can do with a Pic of One man & his box. Pretty boring apart from the location is directly above  ex. Blyth & Tyne Railway board room, a fully stocked bar was just off to the the left and the view out of the window was quite spectacular with Minnie Mouse in high suede boots putting in an appearance every fifteen minutes or so.

CroftDepot18-NH-110-editSm.jpg.a941e02e99b087a388c0b217683ed02d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'm so glad you chaps are interested in the S&D Rly.  (Stockton & Darlington Railway). I thought you South Western types jism would have been far more jingled by the S&DJ Rly.

Talking about the weather, that North East photographer, Jack Weeknease way back in the mid fifties, jumped on his Claude Butler and spurted of to his South to test some of that new colour film by catching the last ray of sunshine, illuminating Croft Despôt  (a branch of the S&D)  just prior to an almighty early summer storm washing away all the lubrication on his derailleur.

CroftDepotRedcar-013-EditSm.jpg.9199baf3d9c928c2b72d093e8b1e1016.jpg

P

You tell 'em uncle P.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

but the paint wasn't quite the same colour nor was it fully dry, so was collecting black specks, flys and leafy bits

That most definitely soundslike most of my paint jobs!

Keith

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

What you can't see in that picture of Bude is that the middle third of the cadding was a different green from the rest of it - with no lining! Earlier in the day - on the North-bound trip the oil soaked insulation under the cladding caught an ember and a significant fire ensued - the local brigade turned out and extinguished it.

But the Shedmaster at Bath saw it and was not prepared to send it south looking rather charred. So he sent a labourer to Woolworths for a big tin of "Winfield" Gloss Green and a couple of brushes. The loco left shed on time for the return trip - but the paint wasn't quite the same colour nor was it fully dry, so was collecting black specks, flys and leafy bits on the south bound journey. I wish I had had colour film!

Regards

Chris H

As I recall Woollies only did two shades of green - Spring Green (quite bright, my mates and I used it as a based for dyed sawdust grass) and Rural Green (a darker colour). I suspect that the touch up was in Rural Green.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Porcers is trying to find the time. This lock-down  (and my time management technique) is causing massive back logs). Folk keep leaving me presents on my front doorstep to fix. Tomorrow it's a Pentroller.

In the meantime hope you can do with a Pic of One man & his box. Pretty boring apart from the location is directly above  ex. Blyth & Tyne Railway board room, a fully stocked bar was just off to the the left and the view out of the window was quite spectacular with Minnie Mouse in high suede boots putting in an appearance every fifteen minutes or so.

CroftDepot18-NH-110-editSm.jpg.a941e02e99b087a388c0b217683ed02d.jpg

I use those folding chairs for operating my layout too. From Rob's favourite baseboard retail warehouse, I believe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I use those folding chairs for operating my layout too. From Rob's favourite baseboard retail warehouse, I believe.

Good job it's got four legs as it's done some travelling. Possibly from Chairs R Us or The Numbum Furniture Warehouse. Mr Axlebox may be so kind as to confirm.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As I recall Woollies only did two shades of green - Spring Green (quite bright, my mates and I used it as a based for dyed sawdust grass) and Rural Green (a darker colour). I suspect that the touch up was in Rural Green.

Memory (at times unreliable) says that you are right about it being the darker shade - I take your word for that being known as "Rural Green"

Regards

Chris H

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I know I've been AWOL for some time but RMWeb has changed a little in the meantime with lots more adds. Most of which I thought were unrelated to railway modelling, until I came across this here today:

Screenshot_20200529-100622.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

And you might have known one Freddy Picknell, that being my maternal grandmother's maiden name!

Sorry, that doesn't ring a bell.

• Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I know I've been AWOL for some time but RMWeb has changed a little in the meantime with lots more adds. Most of which I thought were unrelated to railway modelling, until I came across this here today:

Screenshot_20200529-100622.png

That's Robs weathering kit that is !

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I'm old enough to have been starting my last year at the Secondary Modern school in 1966 and that was an extra one before going to the Grammar School (for A levels etc!). So I went with other members of the Bracknell and District MRS - in Derek Alford's Triumph Renown - to witness the last weekend. here is my best photo from that Saturday (I think?) taken late afternoon, showing BUDE just south of Chilcompton Tunnel. It was an interesting and long day out.

200768541_Bude-SandDlastday001.jpg.df4751274ba80dc87949bcfc27dfdfd8.jpg

Hope you like it?

I did once start to build an OO gauge model of an S&DJR 7F based on a brass and tinplate body mounted on a modified Hornby Dublo 8F mechanism - but I never finished it as various things got in the way - girls, University, work and a change of model railway interest.

By the way I do like Rob's models - excellent and inspiring.

Regards

Chris H

Chris H

Two shades of green in this photo:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-west-country-no-34006-bude-at-salisbury-in-its-home-shed-this-late-108723528.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=5073409F-1DA4-42E4-9BB3-A2F96A8CBDDE&p=151437&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3dbar%26st%3d0%26pn%3d1%26ps%3d100%26sortby%3d2%26resultview%3dsortbyPopular%26npgs%3d0%26qt%3dsteam%20locomotive%201967%26qt_raw%3dsteam%20locomotive%201967%26lic%3d3%26mr%3d0%26pr%3d0%26ot%3d0%26creative%3d%26ag%3d0%26hc%3d0%26pc%3d%26blackwhite%3d%26cutout%3d%26tbar%3d1%26et%3d0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3d0%26loc%3d0%26imgt%3d0%26dtfr%3d%26dtto%3d%26size%3d0xFF%26archive%3d1%26groupid%3d%26pseudoid%3d%26a%3d%26cdid%3d%26cdsrt%3d%26name%3d%26qn%3d%26apalib%3d%26apalic%3d%26lightbox%3d%26gname%3d%26gtype%3d%26xstx%3d0%26simid%3d%26saveQry%3d%26editorial%3d1%26nu%3d%26t%3d%26edoptin%3d%26customgeoip%3d%26cap%3d1%26cbstore%3d1%26vd%3d0%26lb%3d%26fi%3d2%26edrf%3d%26ispremium%3d1%26flip%3d0%26pl%3d

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've always thought that the S & DJ was an almost perfect enthusiast's railway; late steam, expresses, single line working, good scenery on the northern section, interesting locos, variety of stock, and a sort of rural idyll feel to it despite it's serving a coalfield.  And we had Ivo/Ivor's wonderful photos to introduce us all to it.  Add the doomed feel after the WR took over and you've got an almost perfect storm of griceability.  OK, there were similar railways and more spectacular scenery once you got into the remoter parts of Scotland, but this was do-able from London or Brum as a day trip via Bath.

• RMweb Gold

The Western Region never sullied the S&DJR in my rendition. If I manage to build my take on Edington Junction aka Eweington Road or possibly  Eweington Junction fixtures and fitting will almost certainly be Southern Railway house colours. 

We might well see a Pannier or two but the charm of a West Country setting, Midland locos, Southern coaching stock and buildings is what the  S&D is all about....

The premier West Country route, closely followed by the Western................South Western

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just watched the bbc documentary on the old i player if anyone hasn't seen it o can heartily recommend it Sir John Betjeman prancing around on the tracks in a Gannex   Mac priceless. (He is one of my dream dinner party guests )

Listening to some of his comments on the build up of traffic even when filmed.In 1963 never mind the level he predicted for the 70s the man was years ahead of his times .

Only thing missing was some Ikea furniture

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Fireman Eric Sykes wipes his brow as driver Tommy Cooper reverses trusty 3F 43474.

Shouldn't there be a plank on top of the engine? Oh, now I understand, a swedish plank is under the engine.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Fireman Eric Sykes wipes his brow as driver Tommy Cooper reverses trusty 3F 43474. 

Its a comedy of errors in the making ! :D

Yours 

Hattie

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I've added in the sky over Sheep Towers today to it for something different. 

I'm sure I can see a sheeps looking out from that Welsh cloud. Anybody else????

Polish_SheepDipSheepsHeed.jpg.cf41d3f1b63d12f313caaed0f29852a9.jpg

P

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3