2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

There was a big stink a while back when it was discovered that the council were pulling up antique street lamps in the grottier areas as an "improvement", restoring them and installing them in the "heritage" (read expensive and desirable location) parts of the city.

A common clowncil ploy round my way. No wonder they got the Private Eye award for Britain's most corrupt!

Thems down Bristol way just had no idea how to save a decent Revo. This one stood just along from Modelus new Global HQ.  Hint.

Don't know how it is taken me until a few seconds ago to discover this post.

Just the thing for the Wisbleat & Upwool Tramway.

S. Hine

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Just wondering if you could do something with Henrietta — the coach in the Bachmann "Thomas" range that "Toby" would pull, that is…

Seriously though, I had a look at the model Hattons sell, (their photo below) and it's nowhere near as awful as I thought it might be. It's got bodging potential in spades to be honest.

77028-PO01_3468493_Qty1_1.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting stuff @Porcy Mane next time I go back to the old homestead I will have to see if any of the old lamps are still standing. They were a Revo design with a sort of tulip design about 3ft up where the fluted part of the column began. Some had those strange Esco lamps, but everything was converted to those orange things that made fog look worse than it was by about 1980.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

I believe that Rue d' what not of this parish does 3D prints of the bogie coaches but they need a chassis or at the very least, bogies. 

The D&S kits aren't available at present as far as I'm aware. However, another manufacturer is, I believe, working on both 4whl and bogies coaches in etched brass. I'm not looking for any of these, mind you. 

Happy with goods only, as per the prototype, certainly in its postwar guise. 

Bachmann's Henrietta is okay but needs a fair amount of work to improve. Better off starting with a kit methinks. 

Staying with Outwool, I'm firmly in the mindset of keeping it simple. That's the attraction of the prototype for me and I see no need to complicate matters. This approach doesn't suit everyone of course but it does suit me.............

Rob. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 6

Thinking out loud I reckon. Any kind of current passenger services would complicate matters. Back to my initial visualisation of er, not much.

I took your advice on my thread earlier and had a read through the Diddington project thread.

Wow. Point taken about modelling water. I have work to do! 

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if this quote has been used before in this thread but it seemed to sum things about the  rural GE fairly well:-

~Melancholy places, where none but Great

Eastern trains deign to stop,

And there's no one to pick up, and

no one to drop.

Ironically from a book entitled "The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway", by Gadsdeb, Whetmath and Stafford-Baker 1966 (65p)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, jollysmart said:

I don't know if this quote has been used before in this thread but it seemed to sum things about the  rural GE fairly well:-

~Melancholy places, where none but Great

Eastern trains deign to stop,

And there's no one to pick up, and

no one to drop.

Ironically from a book entitled "The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway", by Gadsdeb, Whetmath and Stafford-Baker 1966 (65p)

Jolly good, JS. 

Of course I'm more accustomed to Sir John Betjeman and his lovely words regarding the S&DJR but these convey the essence of what I'm after. 

Thanks for posting. 

Rob. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Staying with Outwool, I'm firmly in the mindset of keeping it simple. That's the attraction of the prototype for me and I see no need to complicate matters. This approach doesn't suit everyone of course but it does suit me.............

......... then that's what you must do.

You will find plenty of support and encouragement, even if you keep it simple. Sorry, especially if you keep it simple.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Of course I'm more accustomed to Sir John Betjeman and his lovely words

Is this any good?

"I see the little branch line go

By white farms roofed in red and brown,

The old Great Eastern winding slow

To some forgotten country town."

From 'Essex' by John Betjeman 

• Like 14

I've taken your advice, taking it steady tonight, clearing plenty of space to work without getting overwhelmed with junk. Having removed a few items from my layout plan, I think that the end result will be more realistic.

Less is more as one of my art teachers often said. She was right.

• Like 2

Railway vans that are tidily loaded with punnets

pass along quiet roads where there's no need to gun it.

But in the brake van there lies a stiff rigid body,

so a pressing new case for the constabulary

The inspector turns up with his assistant called "Puppet",

and together they'll both work it out. A whodunnit?

From the Inspector Sheepwash Mysteries. 1957.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Railway vans that are tidily loaded with punnets

pass along quiet roads where there's no need to gun it.

But in the brake van there lies a stiff rigid body,

so a pressing new case for the constabulary

The inspector turns up with his assistant called "Puppet",

and together they'll both work it out. A whodunnit?

From the Inspector Sheepwash Mysteries. 1957.

Is there a Punch line to this?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Is there a Punch line to this?

Only another 36 verses but the guilty party is exposed in the last one whilst all the suspects surround a bowl containing an alcoholic fruit drink from which glasses are being filled..

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

My favourite; 

"Forget motor cars, get rid of anxiety and dream again that ambitious Victorian dream which caused this long railway to be running through deepest, flattest, remotest, least spoiled Somerset"

Sir John Betjeman. 

Branch Line Railway. 1963. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

My favourite; 

"Forget motor cars, get rid of anxiety and dream again that ambitious Victorian dream which caused this long railway to be running through deepest, flattest, remotest, least spoiled Somerset"

Sir John Betjeman. 

Branch Line Railway. 1963. 

Sir John was no fan of the motor car. His journey to Burnham on Sea had several other quotes about the benefits of rail travel.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, bgman said:

Brilliant piece of historic film !

Totally agree. Equally important is that which is in the background and the detail it provides.

• Agree 8

• NHY 581 changed the title to The Sheep Chronicles : Chapter 5: Outwool. The Sheep goes East. It's all Toby's fault. The final frontier: These are the continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart, connoisseur of traditional British breakfasts and fine cream teas.
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Looks like we shall definitely need an 04. Thanks due to Chris (Gilbert) for the heads up on a solution to that one.

Where was that mentioned?

although with an email alert every 3 minutes roughly :laugh_mini: I’m sure I could have misssed it! Must be the most updated thread after Tony Wrights!
loving the new layout and it’s build up Verbally so far on here.   

cheers

Ade

• NHY 581 changed the title to The Sheep Chronicles : Chapter 5: Outwool. The Sheep goes East. It's all Toby's fault. These are the continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart, connoisseur of traditional British breakfasts and fine cream teas.