On 20/11/2020 at 12:15, NHY 581 said:

Thats the fella..Couldn't remember the name. Pretty certain Dave has done test etches of the 4whl and bogie and as you say they are now up for grabs. 

However, I am sticking with the late 40s/early 50s and a goods only operation, simply on the basis of economy. With the exception of the J70s, I have everything else in stock as it were. ( Setting aside the 04) 

But thanks for the reminder though. 

Rob. 

Hello,

I am the aforementioned Eveleigh, but 'David' - always David.   (My 'id' is very important to me).

Yes, I have indeed done the tram coaches as etched kits.   I built the test etches a few weeks ago and decided there were some improvements I could make to enable people to put them together more easily.   The drawings were duly adjusted and have gone off to the etchers.   The built up coaches look very nice - much like the 2mm scale ones in the pictures on my website currently.   Those ones are painted so the pictures will remain for a while.   I must update the page content tomorrow.   Please feel free to order these now - include £6 postage - I should be getting them back in a few weeks.

David

Edited by David Eveleigh
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Does the Memsahib know where her make up brush has gone Mr Sheep sir 

Fantastic work as ever 

Thanks Simon. 

The Memsahib buys me my own.........

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, David Eveleigh said:

Hello,

I am the aforementioned Eveleigh, but 'David' - always David.   (My 'id' is very important to me).

Yes, I have indeed done the tram coaches as etched kits.   I built the test etches a few weeks ago and have decided there are some improvements I can make to enable people to put them together more easily.   The drawings are duly adjusted and have gone off to the etchers.   The coaches look very nice - much like the 2mm scale ones in the pictures on my website currently.   Those ones are painted so the pictures will remain for a while.   I must update the page content tomorrow.   Please feel free to order these now - include £6 postage - I should be getting them back in a few weeks.

David   (www.eveleighcreations.com)

Evening David. 

My take on the W&U will be goods only. That said, never say never.........

It is of course kind of you to take the trouble to update and as a potential customer, reassuring to hear you are making alterations in light of the test build. 

As a complete novice in terms of etched kit construction, are these suitable as a starter kit? 

Rob. 

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

I think you would have as good a chance of making a neat accurate model as with any etched kit.

If you look at my website you will see illustrated instruction sequences for the Great Eastern Rly. compartment coaches showing exactly how I put mine together, and downloadable printout parts lists and instructions for each kit.  Whilst building the test etches for the tram coaches I took copious photos and will be making similar provision for them in the next few weeks before the production kits come in.   I would say build the four wheeled tram first - that should be very easy.   Obviously I am fairly experienced, but I started assembling the four wheeled body at about midnight a couple of weeks ago after I had finished watching the tv.   I had it all together with the roof on and neat and tidy by 1:30am.   (Yes, I keep strange hours sometimes.)   An hour or two the following morning had the under-frame assembled including brakes, veranda ironwork in place, wheels in and trundling up and down on a length of track.

The bogie tram is a little more involved because I modeled the characteristic bending down at the ends and up in the middle which is quite noticeable in the prototype photographs, even from very early on in their lives.   (This was because of the weight of the self contained buffers and the fact that the verandas caused the bogies to be placed rather closer to the centre than was optimal.)   I still don't think it is difficult to build.

I am particularly proud of the etch design of the footsteps.   These are done as a one part assembly folding as a saddle shaped part to fit over the ends of the floor - six folds on either side and a touch with some flux and a well charged soldering iron and the solder fizzes around making everything secure.

As with everything, having good jigs and fixtures to hold things securely at the correct angle as you work on them is key - see the website.

Best wishes,

David

Edited by David Eveleigh
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

As a member of the Great Eastern Society I knew these kits were coming. Once I have completed a few more jobs I do intend to order some. I have another etched wagon to build (my second) that will give me further practice before tackling a W&U prototype. I like the look of the six wheelers too. The kits look great.

Martyn

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2020 at 11:23, NHY 581 said:

Thanks Rob.

Another view taken in more natural light...

20201124_093109-02.jpeg

Very nice Rob. Is that an Ikea chopping board? I think it's time they made you an honorary Swede.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Very nice Rob. Is that an Ikea chopping board? I think it's time they made you an honorary Swede.

Morning Mikkel. 

It is indeed.....and I would be quite happy with that. 

I'm hoping to finish the wagon off before the weekend but plans have been knocked slightly as I was 'asked' yesterday to  work additional hours on Friday and Saturday. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Not much to report

Thats more than enough to report Rob, showing your expert weathering is a real pleasure to look at.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely incredible Rob.

Having spent the last three days and plenty of coffee I've scrolled through all 365 pages of the progress of your layouts and I'm in awe of your modelling!

Currently waiting on my baseboards to arrive but I'm excited to get started, having gained plenty of inspiration from your feed!

Keep up the excellent work.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LDM34046 said:

Absolutely incredible Rob.

Having spent the last three days and plenty of coffee I've scrolled through all 365 pages of the progress of your layouts and I'm in awe of your modelling!

Currently waiting on my baseboards to arrive but I'm excited to get started, having gained plenty of inspiration from your feed!

Keep up the excellent work.

Evening LD and welcome. 

I have to raise a glass in recognition of your fortitude and thank you for your kind words. 

Do keep popping in. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

Tad jaded this morning so not fully aware of ones surroundings as of yet. A bit of a late finish this morning and something of an earlier wake up than anticipated............courtesy of the resident Alarm Cat........

The good news is that Kernow are in the process of sending a replacement out for the returned J70 and I should have the little chap back next week. 

Therefore, thoughts are quietly turning to the track plan and the overall look of the layout. Buildings, of which more later, will be few and far between. This should give a very open feel to the plot. 

In all honesty, I don't see the build starting this side of Christmas.......however, that said,  I am on leave from the 12th...........

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Very nice simple buildings, I rather like the one on the right with the lean to shed. I do like a bit of vernacular architecture don't you know...

It's put me in mind of a Great Central weighbridge hut, though it probably isn't. I think that my interest in the minor railway buildings stems from the fact that by the time I was old enough to go mooching round old branch lines, almost everything else was long gone.

I like the idea of an alarm cat, though they tend to wake you up by sticking a foot in your eye followed by drooling / fish breath. Could be worse, my dogs found that they were big enough to get one foot in your eye and another in your groin area simultaneously.

Had a late night ourselves and a totally out of character late awakening. Still, can't complain, I was woken by a charming young lady whispering her demands with greater urgency and insistence.

Unfortunately those demands were for cups of tea.

And it would have been easier (and probably safer!) to ignore the late lamented Doberman...

I am looking forward to seeing you develop this layout at your own pace.  Just don't develop it at my pace, 20 years is too long for anyone!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I rather like the one on the right with the lean to shed.

I believe that is a Pendon commissioned or inspired model of a structure in the Vale of the White Horse, with the original (card) model actually on the làyout at Pendon. It's a very nice little model.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

A Sentinel. 

20201129_122219-01.jpeg

Now you've got me thinking Breidden hill quarry and the Criggion branch.

I presume that you are aware that you are a bad influence upon your readers? 

Aware also of the fact that if I change my modelmaking plans now I will get chased around the garden by a slightly unhinged giri armed with a sword?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I believe that is a Pendon commissioned or inspired model of a structure in the Vale of the White Horse, with the original (card) model actually on the làyout at Pendon. It's a very nice little model.

You could be right, my Captain.

IMG_2972_Cropped.JPG.f4d8f1bfbd4526016ac6dae6d4a916a4.JPG

• Like 18