• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

This one perhaps? Thanks for the heads up;)

IMG_20200601_113454.jpg

Yep. That's the one. 

Top stuff. 

Rob. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

'And how lovely to see all the sheep grazing on Glastonbury Tor, without the usual row of villas getting in the way'.

Pity about the old one with no roof on top.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/06/2020 at 19:45, Captain Kernow said:

'And how lovely to see all the sheep grazing on Glastonbury Tor, without the usual row of villas getting in the way'.

Ah! Sir John. 

As you might expect, a real highlight of the program is the wonderful use of the English language by Sir John. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I can recall poking around the works with my dad on a Sunday morning after closure, must have been keep out signs as I think I spent the whole time tenterhooks thinking we would be arrested.  We didn't see any police or any "Highbridge teds" 

I worked for a year in Highbridge after leaving school in 75 and I didn't give the old station a second thought.

Have you seen the Newman family blog?  They lived near Bason Bridge, some nice photos (including winter 62 in colour) .  A different time indeed, a ten year old child riding on a footplate to Templecombe and back!

Thanks for the inspiration Rob, got a little Brean on the go here and it's all your and JB's fault!

Edited by bazzer42
Typo

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Ah! Sir John. 

As you might expect, a real highlight of the program is the wonderful use of the English language by Sir John. 

Rob. 

Whilst discretely smoking as many fags as possible, legend!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bazzer42 said:

I can recall poking around the works with my dad on a Sunday morning after closure, must have been keep out signs as I think I spent the whole time tenterhooks thinking we would be arrested.  We didn't see any police or any "Highbridge teds" 

I worked for a year in Highbridge after leaving school in 75 and I didn't give the old station a second thought.

Have you seen the Newman family blog?  They lived near Bason Bridge, some nice photos (including winter 62 in colour) .  A different time indeed, a ten year old child riding on a footplate to Templecombe and back!

Thanks for the inspiration Rob, got a little Brean on the go here and it's all your and JB's fault!

Glad to be of service, Baz. 

The Newman family blog is very good. Some great photos. Quite familiar with Brean. I spent a lot of time in Uphill in the 70s with family which is not a million miles away. 

Who knows. Maybe one day I'll end up living over there.....

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Glad to be of service, Baz. 

The Newman family blog is very good. Some great photos. Quite familiar with Brean. I spent a lot of time in Uphill in the 70s with family which is not a million miles away. 

Who knows. Maybe one day I'll end up living over there.....

Rob. 

You can see Brean Down from your back bedroom window, can't you?

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Nice to see Sheep Dip feature in the customers layouts feature of the Kernow newsletter Rob.;)

Thanks Rob.  

That was nice of Hayley. 

Cheers, 

Rob 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/06/2020 at 18:53, bazzer42 said:

.... and the M5 cut through it all, I still have a mahogany swivel chair rescued from the Foreman's office when we were setting out the line of motorway :D How it survived that long I don't know because the buildings were in ruins.
I worked on the construction, and you may recall there was plenty of PFA brought into North Petherton for the embankments.  Long ago.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Norman Lockhart 's image of a P class at Bleat Wharf...

20200606_063143-03.jpeg

I'm wondering if one P is enough for myself.  I mean I think about having another P with increased frequency these days, so it's only logical I should just go have another.

I think.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Today started somewhat earlier than expected due to a visit from the Works Forecat who was working a night shift and required access to the canteen........which, it transpired, had run low on supplies. 

I suppose that you should be grateful that the Works Forecat didn't bring a takeaway, in my experience being woken by having a dead bird dropped on your pillow can be unsettling at best.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I suppose that you should be grateful that the Works Forecat didn't bring a takeaway, in my experience being woken by having a dead bird dropped on your pillow can be unsettling at best.

Al.

'Working from home' was interrupted last week by the need to rescue a small feathered type from the clutches of the Works Forecat. Ordinarily not an issue but I was in the midst of a video conference at the time. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to switch the microphone off........

Rob. 

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1