• RMweb Gold

Ones got slopping tanks and the other has flat tanks. However that wasn't the reason for posting the photo........and for the life of me I can't remember what was now.......

Oh dear.

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ones got slopping tanks and the other has flat tanks. However that wasn't the reason for posting the photo........and for the life of me I can't remember what was now.......

Oh dear.

Rob

I spotted that they were both green.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Managed to pick up a copy of Middleton press ' Branch line to Kingsbridge' and a few colour albums on ex Great Western branch lines today in the sale at Ian Allan,Cardiff.

Just need time to read them now....

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose you could say that the 4575 is the GWRs streamlined version of the 4500.....

• RMweb Gold

Managed a few minutes of relative peace and quiet last night. I took the time to look through a Michael Welsh colour album on Western Region branch lines. Bought the book along with a few others at the Ian Allen shop in Cardiff which is sadly closing down. I was struck by the look of coaches. Generally dusty end and underframe with nicely cleaned sides.

I know I have read about modellers using T cut to replicate this. Vaguely remember an article on Hornby stanier stock where it was felt that the paint finish was too dull and the T cut was used to give a gloss finish.

I will practice on some old coaches before tackling Cissy and Aida the two branch Thompsons. ....

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob - just in case you're still stuck on how to tell the difference between the two Prairies, I believe that they may have different numbers to each other - that's how the big railway often was able to tell their locos apart. :jester:

Thanks CK but I have sorted this out now.

Tom and Dick are 4575 and Harry is 4500. Harry has a mole on the smoke box, Tom is left handed and Dick doesn't eat dairy....

Seemples

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So does 4575 have a medical problem?

Or is one of the names its' stage name. For example, (discussion at Station between ladies similar in maturity to the Finchings):

Lady 1 - "I have not seen that Prairie number 4575 for simply ages".

Lady 2 - "Yes, another year without Dick; very disappointing".

Quackers.

• RMweb Gold

I can see it now.......Shallowford panto....Railwest plays Widow Twankey and Ducky is Mother Goose.....

I have some photos of the experiments with Tcut on a Hornby Stanier.

1st problem was....no T cut......drat drat and triple drat. However, in the spirit of adapt and overcome, I have tried some Auto Glyn resin polish instead. It has certainly enhanced the original matt finish.

I am happy with the result which to my eyes at least, has the look of an in service vehicle. More work needed on the weathering though.

Judge for yourselves.. Top photos are pre polish.

Rob.

post-14122-0-51819400-1421762955_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-53677400-1421762967_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-73376600-1421762982_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-27271400-1421762996_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Not they're not. Photo 1 and 4 are post polish.....Bloody technology...

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Twanky and Goose in the same post.....uuummmmmm!

Who the he** is Harry Lurking by the way? 

Anyway, after seeing that excellent coach cleaning effort, I am almost inspired to go to the lofty room and check out my Midland coaches.

I did venture up there yesterday whilst searching for my stupidly oversize collection of unmade wagon and van kits (couldn't find them) and got side tracked (apologies.....) when I found some excellent but ancient phots of WR stuff from way back. Also some awful pics of diseasels around Plymuff in the early 60s......I had to lie down after seeing those.

I have also been 'researching' my collection of books with stuff about steam in Devon (and some Kernow); mainly branch-line stuff and have found some good Brent/ Kingswear stuff.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Twanky and Goose in the same post.....uuummmmmm!

Who the he** is Harry Lurking by the way? 

P

Harry Lurking is the local poacher. Often found loitering in the woods around the Shallowford Estate, weapon in hand.......looking for a stray bird. ..or two...

• RMweb Gold

Could you find a scenery van for 4575 to haul?

Only one monster on here.......

post-14122-0-49761100-1421772180.jpeg