• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Back on topic ( Was there one at some point?)  What was the source for your sheep @phil_sutters

It would appear that I need quite a few for my layout! 

https://www.serious-play.co.uk/collections/animals-and-people - they are mainly wargames-focussed, but they do have stuff in 4mm & 7mm/1ft scales. The sheep are £3.49 for 8. 2nd class postage is free - 1st is 50p. I saw a negative review after I ordered from them, but I have had two satisfactory and rapid mail-order deliveries. The products are unpainted resin and there are occasional faults e.g. with a foot missing, but nothing that a peg of brass wire and some thick glue can't remedy. The main bodies and heads are nicely detailed. The pigs' snouts are too long in my opinion, but a few strokes of a file and a drill into the new end for nostrils quickly sorted that. But I shouldn't be telling MrWolf about little piggies!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

TI've seen those and it's interesting to see them painted. You've made an excellent job of the paint, it's really brought up the details. I think that they will make great loads for cattle wagons, that way I can show the local produce without overpopulating the layout.

As for little piggies, we no longer need to huff and puff, an air strike is a far more effective method of blowing someone's house in.

It was bacon that lured Miss Riding Hood back after four years as a vegetarian.

Prosthetic limbs for sheep is a new one on me though...

Edited by MrWolf
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Now here's something to start........

People and animals on layouts.

I have neither on any of my layouts with the notable exception of a small rendition of the Works Forecat who pops up from time to time. 

Are things better left or do we prefer the addition of people and animals. 

If we add, are 'action' poses best avoided and figures confined to dozing porters and sleeping cats? 

Rob. 

This is something I really noticed coming back to the hobby after 30 years. People and crew. Minatur Wunderland is an amazing layout. It's pure entertainment. And the thousands of people and cameos are a big part of the production.

But personally, I really don't see that figures/people are useful on a basic layout. I see why it's nice to build little interesting cameos around the layout. But for me, to see a bunch of passengers waiting patiently on the platform for the train. And then the train leaving and they're still waiting, is not a good look. And as for crews in engines. Fine when in one direction, but as soon as the engine runs around. Well they're plain not looking where they're going. :D

Cats and sheep are perfect for a layout though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I think figures on layouts is something that needs to be approached with care. Less is more is my philosopy. Avoid action poses. Many of our layouts are set in places where there wouldn't be many people, and too many quickly destroys the illusion. My loco crews are in static poses, leaning out of the cab rather than being more actively engaged. Certainly no firemen shovelling. I do need a driver for the autocoach though. His absence is a bit obvious through the driving windows.

Alex

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

I think figures on layouts is something that needs to be approached with care. Less is more is my philosopy. Avoid action poses. Many of our layouts are set in places where there wouldn't be many people, and too many quickly destroys the illusion. My loco crews are in static poses, leaning out of the cab rather than being more actively engaged. Certainly no firemen shovelling. I do need a driver for the autocoach though. His absence is a bit obvious through the driving windows.

Alex

I have drivers in all my diesel locos and MUs. That helps the (DCC) operators know which is the front and which is the back.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 08/06/2021 at 06:40, NHY 581 said:

Morning Steve. Yes, seemingly all good now. 

The Great Eastern project is going on hold for a bit. I'll hold onto the buildings and stock for when I am once more that way inclined. 

I've been interested in the Isle of Wight for a while but not to the point of wanting to build a layout. When Hornby released their IoW tooled Terriers it got me thinking more seriously about it. 

It will probably  take me a while to get going as I have no suitable stock to run with said Terriers and I would like one more for variety. So, whilst there will be updates as I go, I have decided not to rush this. 

In the interim, we MAY see another small, goods only Southern region layout emerge.........NOT Isle of Wight  based for which I have stock, locos AND buildings more or less ready to go................

Some IOW interest here...

https://www.facebook.com/iwsteamrailway/photos/a.130734187002070/5487506014658167/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Prosthetic limbs for sheep is a new one on me though...

I actually provided the one sitting/kneeling cow in each pack with four new legs as I don't want them too relaxed in the cattle dock. The model looks as though they have taken a standing cow and chopped her legs off and placed them under her. That took a bit of filler to smooth the parts together. Each of the six cows is in a different pose, in contrast to the ex-Merit herd. One could be transgendered as it has a more bull like physique although not the necessary dangly bits. If you need teats on the cows you will have to add them yourself. Of course they could be young beef steers. It's all a bit asexual underneath. Apart from that they again are well modelled, as hornless cattle.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I have drivers in all my diesel locos and MUs. That helps the (DCC) operators know which is the front and which is the back.

Someone told me (apologies if it was you) that when the autocoach is leading he can be the driver, when it's trailing he becomes the guard. I like that.

Edited by wiggoforgold
The curse of auto complete
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It was bacon that lured Miss Riding Hood back after four years as a vegetarian.

I was that rarest of beasts, a vegetarian butcher, working with my father in a small business. Drove my mum nuts for 3 years trying to provide separate  meals for me when the rest of the family were tucking into chops and roasts!  It was a bacon butty that did for me!

Roja

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

Latest additions {editions?} to the bookshelves within the room of doom are these very good bookletesque little volumes purchased to accompany my MRJ 283 from the bookshop of little horrors in a region of Bath. 

A skim indicates they will prove to be most rewarding and they were accompanied, as always, by a lovely note from that most creditable of vendors.

Rob. 

20210609_192959.jpg

May I also recommend "Isle of Wight Steam Passenger Rolling Stock" (Maycock/Reed, Oakwood Press, 9780853615071), the Middleton "Branch Lines to Newport", and the excellent series "Once upon a line" by Andrew Britton - not so much modelling interest in the latter, but four volumes of interviews with railwaymen (and women) who worked on the island in steam days.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Someone told me (apologies if it was you) that when the autocoach is leading he can be the driver, when it's trading he becomes the guard. I like that.

'Twas not I but I like your thinking.

• Like 1

I thought it was a fair exchange, I gave up smoking, the memsahib gave up murdering defenceless vegetables.

I did briefly give up meat, I think most teenagers do it briefly to either annoy their parents or a lame attempt to impress someone that they're enamoured with.

I'll admit mine was the latter. But I rapidly found out that the prize wasn't worth the sacrifice (ok, she was sanctimonious, self obsessed and a lot more uptight than I expected.) 

The only cure was to jump on the bike and head back to the dog eared familiarity of a transport cafe on the A6. :D

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wasn't there a very nice model of an Isle of Wight might have been in one of the monthly comics a year or two ago? I cannot remember the name, but IIRC the research behind it as well as the modelling was really rather inspiring.

3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Most of 'em were, as I recall...

There's still a lot of people who stick their noses in the air and repeat such garbage as "I'm making a difference."

I have to stop myself from thinking about punching them until I'm either tired or bored.

And lock Miss R in the garage so she doesn't beat me to it....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Wasn't there a very nice model of an Isle of Wight might have been in one of the monthly comics a year or two ago? I cannot remember the name, but IIRC the research behind it as well as the modelling was really rather inspiring.

I don't think that this was the one but here are pictures of Newhaven & District MRC's Ventnor & Wroxall  - just click an arrow to move to the next (or previous) snap

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not the 7mm wartime Ventnor West that was in RM? The research for that contained some rather large howlers unfortunately (such as an assertion that all passenger services stopped for the duration, which would have rather upset all the workers in the Cowes shipyards, and the use of warwell wagons, which would have been way too heavy for the island's PW)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I don't think that it was wartime or 7mm. I could be wrong!!  All I remember was a fictitious line and station at an actual location. They had done quite a bit of research on the particular area they were putting the line through and used plans for one of the real stations.

Warwells? Would they have had heavy AFVs on the island? If they did, surely it would be simpler to use road transporters?

On 09/06/2021 at 18:11, Fishplate said:

And ein ersatz sackbut mit der valves. Nein, nein, nein !!!! :o

I'm more concerned how the one armed trombonist second left in the photo manages anything other than "closed" position?!

IMG_2027.JPG

• Funny 3