I was given a pile of magazines about 1980 and this model based on Ventnor  always sticks in my mind.

One of the first I saw with ballasted track. It might seem crude by modern standards (the charabanc is a converted half track) but it's self contained and it worked. It was 7ft X 2ft in two sections plus fiddle yard.

It appeared in MRC November 1975.

IMG_20210610_232808.jpg.cd54d0706b49cf813d67ba9581e5d056.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I'm more concerned how the one armed trombonist second left in the photo manages anything other than "closed" position?!

IMG_2027.JPG

Really?

And the aesthetics of combining of red shorts with checked shirts in a post-industrial setting doesn't bother you? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Really?

And the aesthetics of combining of red shorts with checked shirts in a post-industrial setting doesn't bother you? 

No, darling.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Really?

I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way—things I had no words for.” - Georgia O'Keeffe

It IS art, darling.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

8 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way—things I had no words for.” - Georgia O'Keeffe

It IS art, darling.

This is what the man in the street and also people who can actually draw and paint fail to understand.

It's not about the art, it's the bulls***ting behind the art that matters....

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I'm more concerned how the one armed trombonist second left in the photo manages anything other than "closed" position?!

IMG_2027.JPG

Well, for the saddest of reasons, this orchestra now has a one-armed conductor, at least for the time being.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-57434986

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Well, for the saddest of reasons, this orchestra now has a one-armed conductor, at least for the time being.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-57434986

A very interesting piece of music is Ravel's Piano Concerto for the Left Hand, commissioned by Paul Wittgenstein, whose right arm was blown off in the First World War.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This is what the man in the street and also people who can actually draw and paint fail to understand.

It's not about the art, it's the bulls***ting behind the art that matters....

My 12 year-old  grand-daughter's comment on this Tate Modern exhibit was 'They nicked those from the gents' toilet'. Although what a nice young lady like her is doing with knowledge of gents' toilets could be a matter of concern. They are slabs of porcelain.

Blank Paper 2009 x3 Tate Modern 12 4 2018.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

My 12 year-old  grand-daughter's comment on this Tate Modern exhibit was 'They nicked those from the gents' toilet'. Although what a nice young lady like her is doing with knowledge of gents' toilets could be a matter of concern.

Blank Paper 2009 x3 Tate Modern 12 4 2018.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking as I read it!  :o

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Really?

The aesthetic is rather dependant on other key elements of the image.

Viz:

What_a_Girl_Wants_Shorts_Red_Check05_400x.jpg.d909138bf3a6e2cf8903bd6f3df08418.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Really?

In truth, I've worn worse brass band uniforms, but only when as a 'dep' helping out another band! Mind you, the fact that the only spare uniforms were usually only available in Size CT* didn't help with the general look either!

Steve S

* Circus Tent

Postscript

I need to thank @Stubby47 for the link to the study, which finally puts a name onto something I was well aware of as a music student back in 1989 (it only took 30 years for someone to do it) because 'pseudo-profound bullsh!t' was alive and thriving in music composition then (before and after). I didn't score so well with my compositions, mainly because my explanation as to why I wrote something the way I had was along the lines of "It has, in my opinion, a pleasant melodic line" or "I'm really pleased with the harmonic progressions", or "It's a song, so it has to be singable" ... I always got fantastic feedback about my pieces from performers, praising them for being "singable" or "playable", and leaving them with a sense of accomplishment. My composition tutor went so far as to praise my double choir choral setting for my "Sanctus", especially liking the richness and complexity of the chords springing naturally through diverging vocal lines from initial unisons (and that isn't pseudo-profound bullsh!t as defined in the study either!)

However, other students wrote abstract contemporary pieces that sounded, well ... Imagine somebody deciding to create their composition by drawing a series of gradually widening circles around a central point, before getting very drunk and flicking ink onto the page whilst being held upside down by the ankles (the composer, not the paper) ... then, when dry, ripping the paper up into random sized pieces ... then selecting pieces totally randomly and sticking them into a line to create pseudo-staves ... then randomly drawing 'bar lines' onto said lines of "music" ... then gathering a group of players together (all the pretentious ones who were "into" such methods) and telling them to interpret what was written in any clef (even between fragments of paper) at any tempo they wished or any dynamic, perhaps interpreting the size of the ink marks to indicate volume, for any duration they wished as suggested by the ink marks, and chosing their own key signature to play in depending upon their mood ... the "performance" was recorded ... almost 15 minutes of random cacophony ... I know it was because I was the mug recording it! It was submitted with the title "Cosmic event causing global extinction: death of the dinosaurs" (I remember that word for word) and around a dozen pages of explanation about the process and "thinking" behind it. Back then, I viewed suchlike as suffering from "Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome" but now I know it was Pseudo-Profound Bullsh!t ... and it worked (!) because such "compositions" were praised as being more pofound than those with such archaic features as "melodies".

A guy in my year had been composing since the age of nine; he wrote a three movement bass guitar concerto for another guy in my year (who after leaving college was appointed the first Professor of bass guitar studies at LIPA - and he's still there!) and the work was absolutely sublime, with overtones of Gershwin mixed with Bach-like "slap bass" fugues. It was a triumph. He didn't win that year's composition prize.

Instead, it was awarded to a flautist whose major piece was written for flute, viola and tuned percussion; three contiguous movements long, contemporary, atonal, the three performers had to gradually walk around a huge semi-circle of tuned percussive instruments as the music progressed. It took nearly half an hour - no breaks to indicate different "movements" - and sounded like random noises from first to last. Afterwards I asked the viola player how she felt it had gone - she had no idea, said it was only the third time she had played it, and she had got completely lost after the first couple of minutes. Did you play it right, then? I asked ... God, no! I just made it up and followed the others around when they moved. The piece itself was preceeded by a five minute talk by the composer explaining to the audience what it was all about, how she had written it, how she thought it would make the audience* feel etc etc. In other words, Pseudo-Profound Bullsh!t - and, just as the article suggests, it bl@@dy worked!! She won the prize and got a First Class honours degree!

I've gone very off-topic. This is meant to be about the Isle of Wight and @NHY 581's latest micro layout. I'm sorry. I can only plead that I stood on a big rusty nail sticking up from a plank on the floor when feeding the rabbit this morning, whilst wearing slippers (me, not the rabbit) and the additional iron in my bloodstream has made me go a bit daft ...

Hat, coat, sticky plasters ...

* I remembered how it made one audience member (me) feel - bored witless!

Edited by SteveyDee68
I forget ... Oh yes, typos!
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

23 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Being a proper trombone player  his "spare" hand can be seen just  by the leg of the music stand. Clearly relaxing after operating the water key. I suspect he's just about to embark on a quick solo session of trombone suicide which the valve trombone and sousaphone player wouldn't be aware of. . . . .  . . neither being proper instruments :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Being a proper trombone player  his "spare" hand can be seen just  by the leg of the music stand. Clearly relaxing after operating the water key. I suspect he's just about to embark on a quick solo session of trombone suicide which the valve trombone and sousaphone player wouldn't be aware of. . . . .  . . neither being proper instruments :D

Being a trombonist, I'd spotted that but decided to make the joke I did rather than the three-armed conjoined twins joke that first suggested itself due to the nature of their checked shirts!

As to the video you posted of trombone suicide - there are examples out there of how horribly wrong that can go ... and even as a spotty youth if it had been suggested that I treat my (expensive) instrument in that fashion, I would have told them where to stick their F plug!*

Steve S

* To reassure readers of a more sensitive nature, that sounds much dirtier or unpleasant than what it is - which is a rotary valve which extends the trombone's tubing post slide mechanism before the bell which extends the range of a Bb trombone by allowing the notes between low E and pedal Bb to be played (not available on a pure Bb instrument due to harmonics of the seven positions on the slide) .... although to achieve a low B in tune requires a second Eb plug as well ... mind you, in retrospect, sticking an F plug there would be a rather unpleasant experience resulting in a trip to A&E ... which I suppose demonstrates my vehement disdain for the ridiculously pointless display ... I digress, and go even more OT ... 

I SHOULD NOT HIJACK THIS THREAD AGAIN ...

I MUST NOT HIJACK THIS THREAD AGAIN ...

I SHALL NOT HIJACK THIS THREAD AGAIN ...

I WILL NOT HIJACK THIS THREAD AGAIN ...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

4 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

and even as a spotty youth if it had been suggested that I treat my (expensive) instrument in that fashion, I would have told them where to stick their F plug!*

Agreed. 

4 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

As to the video you posted of trombone suicide - there are examples out there of how horribly wrong that can go ...

Also agreed. But I deliberately didn't choose one of those. Didn't want to frighten the local sheep :angel:

Similarly things can go very wrong playing trombone anywhere near Jeremy Clarkson . . . . . .

8 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I SHOULD NOT HIJACK THIS THREAD AGAIN ...

Agreed. :offtopic: Maybe set up a shunting puzzle Trombones and Trains thread  ????? Wagon positions limited to seven, of course. ....  ... ... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I too have to thank @Stubby47for the link, having attended a fine art Foundation course followed by a BA Hons, thirty years ago, I wasn't joking about the bulls*** being valued more than ability. Two years ago I had the misfortune to attend a degree show.

They're still churning out exactly the same lame formulaic nonsensical politicised garbage! 

I would feel sorry for them, but they're convinced that they're right and they're the first people to do what they're doing....

Apologies for the thread hijack. I just wanted @SteveyDee68to know that he's not alone in being frustrated by bulls***ters. 

It's also why the memsahib, who is proficient in flute, clarinet and saxophone, took a science degree.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

I'm hoping for but not confident of some modelling time this weekend. 

Despite receiving a call from work at 3 o'clock yesterday, a day off, asking if I wanted to work today, again a day off, { request respectfully declined, its not as if I didn't give repeated warnings that it would be busy weeks, days ago and then I'm given 24hrs notice when the penny has finally dropped......} I am possibly looking to make a start on a couple of things. 

I'll concentrate on a couple of buildings first off and see how that goes. 

A few things will intrude. Out and about this morning with the Memsahib and Memsahib minor. 

Football this afternoon, watching the Euro match, Wales v Switzerland. 

Beer, consumption of which is linked to the above......and could have consequences......

However, there is always tomorrow..........and if it doesn't happen it's not a drama...

Rob. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

I'm hoping for but not confident of some modelling time this weekend. 

Despite receiving a call from work at 3 o'clock yesterday, a day off, asking if I wanted to work today, again a day off, { request respectfully declined, its not as if I didn't give repeated warnings that it would be busy weeks, days ago and then I'm given 24hrs notice when the penny has finally dropped......} I am possibly looking to make a start on a couple of things. 

I'll concentrate on a couple of buildings first off and see how that goes. 

A few things will intrude. Out and about this morning with the Memsahib and Memsahib minor. 

Football this afternoon, watching the Euro match, Wales v Switzerland. 

Beer, consumption of which is linked to the above......and could have consequences......

However, there is always tomorrow..........and if it doesn't happen it's not a drama...

Rob. 

The best-laid plans of sheep and men often go awry.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gedward said:

Having spent over 40 years working for an advertising agency. I think I've got a pretty good nose for Bulls**t.

That's something developed by anybody who has worked, for any length of time, in any business large enough to require (or think it does) a HR Director rather than a Personnel Manager.

The real problem is, and has always been, people who harness the counter-productive corporate BS to further their own advancement. I could never manage it without triggering either a crisis of conscience or a fit of the giggles, but I found myself envying those who could on more than one occasion....

John

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1