6 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

If playing a reed part for "West Side Story", almost!  @MrWolf can verify that with Ms Red Riding Hood!

Stop it! Stop hijacking this thread! You're a very naughty boy!

Steve S

IIRC she was forced at gunpoint to take part in said musical as a sixth former. I find it best not to talk about it....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi,

Sorry for being boring, and dragging us unto the subject of modelling but I have a questions about how you prepare the shelves for track, cork, etc.  I've had a look at the shelves in our local Swedish enclave and wondered abou the following:

1.  do you require to gently sand off the sheen so as to allow adhesives to grip the surface; and

2.  what glue did you find most effective for fixing cork, track, scenics?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom offered.

Regards,

Alex.

I dont think the sheen would be a big problem you wouldn't expect a lot of force. Maybe if use for a portable layout where one is inverted over the other for transport there could be problems.

I use ply mostly 6mm and 4mm with diagonal braces rather than shelves.

90% of the time PVA can be used . There is PVA and PVA . The wood adhesive ones tend to be fast setting ideal for those job. However for static grass or sprinkling textures etc.  slower setting one is better. Some people use copydex, doesn't suit me.

Don

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

"Up there" starts at Bodmin...

From here "Up there" starts at Weymouth!

I'm not getting involved in a discussion about brass playing - you know  - the ones who play at the start of the piece, the end, then spend the rest of the time at the bar. 

Agree about West Side story, I once played for a production, playing alto and tenor sax and clarinet reading off two different parts to fill in gaps!

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, mullie said:

I'm not getting involved in a discussion about brass playing - you know  - the ones who play at the start of the piece, the end, then spend the rest of the time at the bar. 

The trombone section of the brass band I played in helped out the local orchestra. After the usual several hundred bars rest the composer couldn't be bothered to fill in for brass, he then requested all three trombones to play double forte (Jolly loud for the uninitiated).

Being upstanding citizens we duly obliged.  Conductor stops orchestra and asks the trombones what we thought we were doing. Pointing out the obvious I just said 'playing double forte, as requested'.  Conductor gestures across at the twenty or so violins and asks me what they are supposed to do when faced with three trombones playing double forte.

My response of 'scrape harder? ' was (apparently) not the correct one. . . . . 

For those that requested some trombone playing, a little bit of Romeo & Juliet .  . . . . . . Enjoy 

(ps we also do fried breakfasts whilst waiting for the bar to open):

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi,

Sorry for being boring, and dragging us unto the subject of modelling but I have a questions about how you prepare the shelves for track, cork, etc.  I've had a look at the shelves in our local Swedish enclave and wondered abou the following:

1.  do you require to gently sand off the sheen so as to allow adhesives to grip the surface; and

2.  what glue did you find most effective for fixing cork, track, scenics?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom offered.

Regards,

Alex.

Evening Alex, 

My apologies for the late response. 

I don't use cork or prepare the surface in any way.  Track is pinned direct to the board. 

When using DAS  to raise the ground level, I use Evostick wood glue to secure it and lay it in sections. I've have had no issues thus far. 

The same pva, diluted etc, secures the ballast. 

Hope this heps, 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/06/2021 at 21:34, NHY 581 said:

Any breakfast consisting solely  of toast supported by marmalade or jam will be the subject of ridicule. 

So we're OK with Marmite then

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, figworthy said:

So we're OK with Marmite then

Adrian

No.

• Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Fishplate said:

After the usual several hundred bars rest

The worst part of rehearsals. Getting to about bar X-10 you'd blow through to warm the 'bone up, clear the water and brace yourself then at bar X-1 the conductor taps his stand and says "OK, let's just run through that again". 

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Sort of. It's generally a square slice of haggis, fried and served between two slices of bread.

Even better, it's a slice of haggis and a slice of square sausage fried and served in a  morning roll (cob?).  Garnish with brown sauce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening Alex, 

My apologies for the late response. 

I don't use cork or prepare the surface in any way.  Track is pinned direct to the board. 

When using DAS  to raise the ground level, I use Evostick wood glue to secure it and lay it in sections. I've have had no issues thus far. 

The same pva, diluted etc, secures the ballast. 

Hope this heps, 

Rob. 

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the details.  I'm looking to try one of the shelves for the next boards.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Even better, it's a slice of haggis and a slice of square sausage fried and served in a  morning roll (cob?).  Garnish with brown sauce.

That's a fair call, especially regarding the brown sauce. The ones I remember (fondly) were from the staff canteen at Buchanan House, Glasgow so perhaps the bread slices/roll thing is another of those differences between the two cities that we all know and love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

The Terriers have caused a bit of concern. 

Very smooth, very quiet...............but both halt abruptly. Similar to but not as bad as the Peckett. 

Now I'm more willing to tinker with the Terriers. 

Both chassis roll freely with the motor disengaged. No apparent resistance. I therefore work on the basis that it must be the motor.

I have therefore sourced four replacement Hornby motors locally. At £4.13 each*, why not? 

I'll run each one  and work out which turns over at lowest voltage and take it from there..........

* Elsewhere they are £9.99 ea.......plus postage. 

Updates to follow. 

Rob

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the details.  I'm looking to try one of the shelves for the next boards.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex. If you were to use cork I think I'd be tempted to run some coarse sandpaper over the shelf top first. Mind you, the IKEA shelves in the house that have been used for shelves (sorry Rob), seem to have all sorts stuck to them.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I like Marmite.

But not on a fry up.

Not ever.

My local butcher sometimes does Pork and Marmite sausages, which are rather scrumptious.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I like the Marmite and Peanut Butter chocolates that I once bought in Richmond (N. Yorks) - I think it was the "Mocha" shop.

Alternatively Peanut Butter on a good slice with Marmite on top goes down a treat for breakfast.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I like the Marmite and Peanut Butter chocolates that I once bought in Richmond (N. Yorks) - I think it was the "Mocha" shop.

Alternatively Peanut Butter on a good slice with Marmite on top goes down a treat for breakfast.

Regards

Chris H

Love Peanut butter and Jam sandwiches after I've ran. Never tried Peanut Butter and Marmite though, have to give that a go :good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A late friend of mine used to drink Pernod and Marmite. The pub in Putney used to keep the Marmite for him under the counter. He also used to drink gin and light ale.

He was a lovely Irish eccentric.:D

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2