That's interesting to know. It seems that there is a tolerance issue with the motors. Without stripping one and inspecting it properly, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like the drive and non drive end bearings are not in true alignment. This would stall the shaft rotation with a sideways loading. 

A cure might be to line bore the motor bearings with a parallel reamer, although I suspect that the frame is a flimsy affair?

• RMweb Gold

I've been away for a fortnight, so I have some catching up to do, but I thought I would share this photo of Rob's Scottish relative, Auntie Morag. As you can see she's let herself go a bit recently, but she's still up for a chat:

Auntie_Morag.jpg.91686d9c535fc3165ca27a68520e0def.jpg

Al.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's interesting to know. It seems that there is a tolerance issue with the motors. Without stripping one and inspecting it properly, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like the drive and non drive end bearings are not in true alignment. This would stall the shaft rotation with a sideways loading. 

A cure might be to line bore the motor bearings with a parallel reamer, although I suspect that the frame is a flimsy affair?

Mange tout Wolfers. 

They are quite flimsy. The original from Bembridge was dissected. The commutator was black as were the brushes. Strange for a new loco. 

And they are not meant to be dissected.......

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

That sounds rather like the shaft was struggling to turn until more than the designed for starting current was applied, hence the overheating.

On the plus side, you get a nostalgic waft of a Tri-ang 3F...:D

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Mange tout Wolfers. 

They are quite flimsy. The original from Bembridge was dissected. The commutator was black as were the brushes. Strange for a new loco. 

And they are not meant to be dissected.......

Not wishing to nit pick oh sheepy one but I had to do a double take when I red this. Is dissected a technical term or did you mean taken apart?

Yours in anticipation

W Oof

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

On the plus side, you get a nostalgic waft of a Tri-ang 3F...:D

Er.......Nope. Not anymore, courtesy of the  COVID fairy......I gets no wafts of anything. 

• Friendly/supportive 15

12 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Sorry but bu@@er all  positive about it.

I cannot smell food, flowers, alcohol, my daughters hair, the wet garden after the rain, anything to do oil and petrol, fresh cut grass, Wood as I work with it......the list is frankly endless. 

The chance to smell anything even something unpleasant would be most welcome but after six months, increasingly unlikely and something which is much missed and the source of varying degrees of unhappiness dependent on what it is I realise I am missing. 

Well Mr Sheep when you put it like that it's a whole different ball game.

I have often wondered what is worse - to loose a sense or to never have the sense in the first place to loose. My mother is currently going blind and rails at what  she can't now do. Doesn't mean though that she doesn't still try to do it and at ninety three that means a lot. You will adapt. It just takes time and patience.

Take care Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 20/06/2021 at 08:42, NHY 581 said:

But we are getting there.......

But what a faff to do so, and tbh it's something I wouldn't have a clue of how to go about. So I just have to hope my Class 14 and Pannier continue to work as I don't see me buying anything new for the forseeable future.

And sorry to hear about your loss of sense of smell Rob, I often wish I could go deaf when the neighbours start off with their damn "music", but then I realise how stupid that is when I then couldn't hear the blackbirds singing in the morning, the bees in the pyrocanthia bush (hundreds of them every day!), the cat purring.... I guess Joni was right, 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone'....

ATB

Keith

Edited by keefr2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

The Landy has now appeared in two separately owned layouts. Is there a record for or of the most travelled vehicle in the model world ?  Or should we present M.Bonwick Esq. with the virtual trophy now?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DonB said:

The Landy has now appeared in two separately owned layouts. Is there a record for or of the most travelled vehicle in the model world ?  Or should we present M.Bonwick Esq. with the virtual trophy now?

I think the Cortina that eventually ended up sunk in the canal on Black Country Blues would probably take that prize, it did an extensive jaunt around some very different layouts.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

I think the Cortina that eventually ended up sunk in the canal on Black Country Blues would probably take that prize, it did an extensive jaunt around some very different layouts.

Al.

There was a wagon that travelled around the world appearing on many layouts of members of the YourModelRailway forum.  @Gwiwer will know more about it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

There was a wagon that travelled around the world appearing on many layouts of members of the YourModelRailway forum.  @Gwiwer will know more about it.

The now moribund American 'Model Railroad Forum' had a coach that indeed travelled the world, it came to Fraggle Rock about 15years ago, I sent it on to another UK member but it was then off to Japan IIRC!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

Can't remember how many but I took her to a few shows before she was 'distressed'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=5891&forum_id=12

You may require an account to view.  Some of the images may no longer be available due to host shut-downs, site upgrades and other technical reasons.  

Basically it was the idea of a group of us on the Your Model Railway Club forum.  A wagon was to visit as many member's layouts as possible around the world before concluding at an exhibition.  In the end there were two - Matilda was the "World Wide Wagon" and "Winston" was the UK one which toured British member's layouts.  Both ended up being displayed at the two-day event at Carn Brea, Cornwall.

Of passing interest this brought several members of what was and remains a fairly small site together from around the world.  I came from Australia for example and met a fellow Australian en route.  We travelled from London to Cornwall aboard the overnight train wherein we set up Marty' layout module - also a world traveller! - on the sleeping car berth and ran trains on board a moving train much to the fascination of the sleeping car attendant and a couple of others.  My Australian NR-class model also came over having hauled Matilda around Penhayle Bay in Melbourne and the two were reunited at Carn Brea.  The HO scale loco was pose on the buffer-shank of the 12":1' scale class 57 after arrival at Penzance for comparison of size.  The NR has visited the UK a couple of times since and now resides here permanently meaning it has perhaps 100,000 miles under its belt.  Or 8,700,000 scale miles albeit not turning its wheels for most of them!  

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

OOOPS! Hangs head in shame ...

I knew about the Cortina in the canal of BCB layout and of some of its earlier travels, but old age and fading memory are my excuse.

I also now recall reading about the proposal for vehicle transfers between layouts on YourModelRailway forum  but I didn't know of the extent of the resultant exchanges of "Running Powers" 

My apologies to our Shepherd for the high-jack  of his thread, although I found it interesting to be so promptly reminded.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/06/2021 at 17:58, Donw said:

I believe your layout that came to swag was the farthest travelled layout to a show.

Don

"Boghouses" was indeed claimed as the farthest-travelled working layout to attend any show.  The Guinness Book of Records was unable to accept the record claim as they were not notified in advance of the event and had no independent verification.  I stand by my claim.  I am aware of other layouts including one which was shipped by container from the Sydney area to the north of England at much the same time but which, using the standard air-miles calculation and the ground-distance between London Heathrow and the respective events, had travelled something like 1000 mile less.  2000 for the round trip assuming it went back.  

Mine did.  And returned a second time to the UK when we relocated home although as Boghouses was built on two cork notice boards it was beyond resurrection when it arrived in the UK a second time; excessive distortion prevented it from being used again and it was broken up.  It was only ever intended to be a one-trick pony and was hastily and lightly built but attracted some attention nevertheless.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1