The Sheep Chronicles : Chapter 5: Shearing- A sheep, a cat and a few small dogs on an island. These are the continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart, connoisseur of traditional British breakfasts and well filled baps.

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2021 at 18:06, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

The Terriers have caused a bit of concern. 

Very smooth, very quiet...............but both halt abruptly. Similar to but not as bad as the Peckett. 

Now I'm more willing to tinker with the Terriers. 

Both chassis roll freely with the motor disengaged. No apparent resistance. I therefore work on the basis that it must be the motor.

I have therefore sourced four replacement Hornby motors locally. At £4.13 each*, why not? 

I'll run each one  and work out which turns over at lowest voltage and take it from there..........

* Elsewhere they are £9.99 ea.......plus postage. 

Updates to follow. 

Rob

Morning all. 

By way of an update, Bembridge was the subject of surgery yesterday evening. 

The four motors were all checked before hand. Two of the four were considered better than the others and deemed fit to be exchanged with those in both Bembridge and Cowes. 

There was an immediate improvement in the start stopping which perhaps supports my similar position with the B2 Peckett in that the motors fitted to those examples were also dodgy. 

The 'two from four' situation also suggests a mixed bag landing with Hornby and tge replacements are a bit of a lottery. One of the spares, purchased factory sealed etc also had solder on the terminals. This was one of the two rejected btw. These two will be exchanged with the shop as per their offer should any be not up to scratch. 

What then manifested itself was a reluctance for Bembridge to run in reverse through the cross over on Bleat. 

I've noticed that Bembridge had a much stiffer wheelset on the geared axle than Cowes, which was subsequently unboxed and tried. 

Cowes went through fine. I then swapped the wheelsets and Bembridge now went through whereas Cowes no longer did. 

Looking at the respective axles and brass bearings, the Cowes original axle's bearings slid in a far smoother manner than those of Bembridge. A drop of oil made no difference and I see no obvious imperfections. 

I shall therefore order a replacement set of wheels. 

But we are getting there.......on which basis I should have a better idea when I get the next one.....

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

That's interesting to know. It seems that there is a tolerance issue with the motors. Without stripping one and inspecting it properly, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like the drive and non drive end bearings are not in true alignment. This would stall the shaft rotation with a sideways loading. 

A cure might be to line bore the motor bearings with a parallel reamer, although I suspect that the frame is a flimsy affair?

• RMweb Gold

I've been away for a fortnight, so I have some catching up to do, but I thought I would share this photo of Rob's Scottish relative, Auntie Morag. As you can see she's let herself go a bit recently, but she's still up for a chat:

Auntie_Morag.jpg.91686d9c535fc3165ca27a68520e0def.jpg

Al.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's interesting to know. It seems that there is a tolerance issue with the motors. Without stripping one and inspecting it properly, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like the drive and non drive end bearings are not in true alignment. This would stall the shaft rotation with a sideways loading. 

A cure might be to line bore the motor bearings with a parallel reamer, although I suspect that the frame is a flimsy affair?

Mange tout Wolfers. 

They are quite flimsy. The original from Bembridge was dissected. The commutator was black as were the brushes. Strange for a new loco. 

And they are not meant to be dissected.......

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That sounds rather like the shaft was struggling to turn until more than the designed for starting current was applied, hence the overheating.

On the plus side, you get a nostalgic waft of a Tri-ang 3F...:D

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Mange tout Wolfers. 

They are quite flimsy. The original from Bembridge was dissected. The commutator was black as were the brushes. Strange for a new loco. 

And they are not meant to be dissected.......

Not wishing to nit pick oh sheepy one but I had to do a double take when I red this. Is dissected a technical term or did you mean taken apart?

Yours in anticipation

W Oof

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

On the plus side, you get a nostalgic waft of a Tri-ang 3F...:D

Er.......Nope. Not anymore, courtesy of the  COVID fairy......I gets no wafts of anything. 

• Friendly/supportive 7
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Nice to know that there are some positive results from your suffering.

Sorry but [email protected]@er all  positive about it.

The chance to smell anything even something unpleasant would be most welcome but after six months, increasingly unlikely and something which is much missed and the source of varying degrees of unhappiness dependent on what it is I realise I am missing. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Friendly/supportive 10
12 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Sorry but [email protected]@er all  positive about it.

I cannot smell food, flowers, alcohol, my daughters hair, the wet garden after the rain, anything to do oil and petrol, fresh cut grass, Wood as I work with it......the list is frankly endless. 

The chance to smell anything even something unpleasant would be most welcome but after six months, increasingly unlikely and something which is much missed and the source of varying degrees of unhappiness dependent on what it is I realise I am missing. 

Well Mr Sheep when you put it like that it's a whole different ball game.

I have often wondered what is worse - to loose a sense or to never have the sense in the first place to loose. My mother is currently going blind and rails at what  she can't now do. Doesn't mean though that she doesn't still try to do it and at ninety three that means a lot. You will adapt. It just takes time and patience.

Take care Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3