It was built by an independent company that became part of the GWR. The prototype stood (Bits of it are still standing.) at Watlington, though I think that it could well pass for something on a branch that was taken over by the LSWR.

watlington20048large.jpg.349cece0dd6d3d3270aad9d2c4e5e514.jpg

I'm surprised that Bachmann didn't make more of them and the pagoda hut with the iron filigree work on the roof ridge. They usually go for daft money on eBay as there's plenty of demand.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

I had the old Prototype Models card kit on a couple of layouts when I was in my teens, they were excellent for the time, but that model is something else. I still have an unbuilt card kit knocking about that I plan to replicate in plastic and use when I build the terminus of the erstwhile Clun Valley Railway as a portable layout on a 72"x 18" scenic area. It's kind of drawn up and research photos taken, but I have promised to get Aston built first!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Wherever it came from, and whatever it will become, will be certain to keep us entertained for a while.

:good: :paint:

Definitely, never mind the usual distractions!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

"Boghouses" was indeed claimed as the farthest-travelled working layout to attend any show.  The Guinness Book of Records was unable to accept the record claim as they were not notified in advance of the event and had no independent verification.  I stand by my claim.  I am aware of other layouts including one which was shipped by container from the Sydney area to the north of England at much the same time but which, using the standard air-miles calculation and the ground-distance between London Heathrow and the respective events, had travelled something like 1000 mile less.  2000 for the round trip assuming it went back.  

Mine did.  And returned a second time to the UK when we relocated home although as Boghouses was built on two cork notice boards it was beyond resurrection when it arrived in the UK a second time; excessive distortion prevented it from being used again and it was broken up.  It was only ever intended to be a one-trick pony and was hastily and lightly built but attracted some attention nevertheless.  

I support your claim, Rick. Boghouses definitely travelled further than Arakoola (Telford Guildex, IIRC?), however you count it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I had the old Prototype Models card kit on a couple of layouts when I was in my teens, they were excellent for the time, but that model is something else. I still have an unbuilt card kit knocking about that I plan to replicate in plastic and use when I build the terminus of the erstwhile Clun Valley Railway as a portable layout on a 72"x 18" scenic area. It's kind of drawn up and research photos taken, but I have promised to get Aston built first!

If you want a smallish GWR-style goods shed look out for the old Dornaplas version (usual disclaimer)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2021 at 11:52, Stubby47 said:

There was a wagon that travelled around the world appearing on many layouts of members of the YourModelRailway forum.

Has anyone done it with a figure? Would be easy to post.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It was built by an independent company that became part of the GWR. The prototype stood (Bits of it are still standing.) at Watlington, though I think that it could well pass for something on a branch that was taken over by the LSWR.

watlington20048large.jpg.349cece0dd6d3d3270aad9d2c4e5e514.jpg

I'm surprised that Bachmann didn't make more of them and the pagoda hut with the iron filigree work on the roof ridge. They usually go for daft money on eBay as there's plenty of demand.

Morning Master Wolf. 

I thought it looked familiar. Fortunately, the use of scruffy black wooden engine sheds extended to the L&SWR and I would draw comparission with the edifice erected at Lamb Regis, which to all intents and purposes looked like it was mounted on pallets ( it wasn't, it was sleepers but.... ) following it's relocation to the opposite end of the goods yard. 

I've looked over it again this morning and this really is a nice model and one which will repay some careful dabbling. 

9 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Wherever it came from, and whatever it will become, will be certain to keep us entertained for a while.

:good: :paint:

I do hope so, Mick. The thread has been a tad bereft of meaningful modelling as of late. 

Far from ideal and completely unacceptable to me or the organisation. Either one pulls oneself up by one's bootstraps or one will find oneself the subject of a damn good thrashing. 

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Definitely, never mind the usual distractions!

I'm grateful for your continuing confidence. 

As an aside, this goods shed does come with a most delightful rendition of the wooden floor to the main loading area.......this will prove far too tempting to leave well alone........

Also, as yet another aside, being based on or close to the goods shed at Watlington, it has a close association with Panniers............which is of some concern.....mmm................must not get distracted..................get thee behind me Satan....what could possibly go wrong...??!

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Has anyone done it with a figure? Would be easy to post.

I think the Garden railway forum features visits by an inpector to various lines around the world. A figure of a chap with a clipboard is photographed on the the line during the visit. Unless they have all bought th same figure I assume it is posted.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Either one pulls oneself up by one's bootstraps or one will find oneself the subject of a damn good thrashing.

The major steps necessary to process wool from the sheep to the fabric are: shearing, cleaning and scouring, grading and sorting, carding, spinning, weaving, and finishing.

Scouring doesn't sound too pleasant, but at least it's not a thrashing.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Gedward said:

The major steps necessary to process wool from the sheep to the fabric are: shearing, cleaning and scouring, grading and sorting, carding, spinning, weaving, and finishing.

Scouring doesn't sound too pleasant, but at least it's not a thrashing.

More pleasant than mulesing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulesing

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

I now have the next weathering project on the table in the room of doom.

I've been following Wordsell's 'Across the yard' thread and am quite taken with the idea of a small goods yard dominated by the goods shed. 

Hi Rob,

Allhallows on Sea comes to mind...

image.png.16ef7aa798632af316394ccb0ae30bb9.png

"It seems a lot larger than was ever likely to be required, and it is clear the Southern Railway anticipated substantial growth, which never happened." Quelle surprise!

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/allhallows_on_sea/index1.shtml

Adam

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This is the shed at Lamb Regis. 

Photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas

ckt_lyme-regis-7-01.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

I now have the next weathering project on the table in the room of doom.

I've been following Wordsell's 'Across the yard' thread and am quite taken with the idea of a small goods yard dominated by the goods shed. 

Shearing will be on stand by whilst I resolve the running issues with the Terriers, something I am confident I can do but perhaps not with any immediate urgency. 

So, I have acquired a goods shed. It's big....the biggest rtp building I have but Bachmann have provided a good starting point. 

Well moulded and the colouring is good though the brickwork could be better. Easily sorted. 

I think by adding some paint and powders this could be very nice indeed and I'm quite excited by the idea. 

I'll spend a few days looking over it before tampering but I'm more enthisiastic about this than anything else recently. 

I think it owes a fair bit to the GWR but hopefully it will pass for a Southern prototype of sorts. 

In any event, I think this will form a good project. 

Rob. 20210625_193236-01.jpeg.acd8d3bbe58ecf7897a310f17b775c6c.jpeg

20210625_193505-01.jpeg.48132ee692b1d633b4301cda37dfd0ae.jpeg

20210625_193450-01.jpeg.1f5d5f4c46673af37e80d53281ef7398.jpeg

20210625_193414-01.jpeg.09fe1d51db768ed7cbe088eff735e3d0.jpeg

Looks like a superb building, in fact all the buildings you use are, I on the other hand have tried to use one, there seems to be nothing I can do to improve it, it's way too big, in fact we've decided it must be to S scale, and the stone just looks terrible. Plasticard has been cut... 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

In keeping with the water tank I built for no valid reason whatsoever, other than because I got carried away weathering the wooden part of it, I have already found enough clapboard and slate in my stash of plastic bits to copy the old cardboard kit of Watlington shed. 

You are a bad influence. :notme:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Also, as yet another aside, being based on or close to the goods shed at Watlington, it has a close association with Panniers............which is of some concern.....mmm................must not get distracted..................get thee behind me Satan....what could possibly go wrong...??!

Not just Panniers — for a short time Watlington hosted a pair of J15s, which were transferred to Neasden for the duration of the "experiment".

• Informative/Useful 1

There is of course somewhere else that would satisfy your needs for a layout on a shelf, the real thing is too. Also open landscape, bleak moorland with a very southwesterly outlook, weeds, lamp posts, sheep. AND Panniers.

All with a suitably ovine title...

Ep7CgNXXYAAUdqy.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1