• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Rob and to all who have popped in thus far.

I am aware of the Middleton press title regarding the Kingsbridge branch but any suggestions are welcome.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why do I have the feeling I'm back on the Nod to Brent thread, complete with Jenny?  At least let Honor have the honours here!

Brian.

Miss Lumley is watching.....

post-14122-0-36687200-1420920310.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You are going to need coaches:

Maunsells and Gresleys + some naughty LMS escapees mate. Very few GWR ones were used as they were too precious.

P.S. fancy coming over for a coffee?

Sincerely, Jenny.

Morning, Ducky( sorry, Jenny, it being Sunday after all) and welcome. I have examples of all the above. I know LMS coaches made it down the Kingsbridge branch. I am sure I have seen photos of Stanier porthole stock forming one of the normal branch workings.

I was wondering what coaches to use. Thanks.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

For something different, the Hayle Wharf branch is worth a look. Freight only, it had a riverside location with a variety of traffics, including coal, oil and chemicals. In the 50s, 57xx panniers worked down there as well as 45s. There was an article in Great Western Railway no 71. It is worth looking at the Cornwall Railway Society website, as if has a page dedicated to the branch.

I agree.

Or Helston.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

Morning, Ducky( sorry, Jenny, it being Sunday after all) and welcome. I have examples of all the above. I know LMS coaches made it down the Kingsbridge branch. I am sure I have seen photos of Stanier porthole stock forming one of the normal branch workings.

I was wondering what coaches to use. Thanks.

Rob

Talking of coaches ending up far from home, there's photos of a LNER Thompson SK paired with a Bulleid BCK working in the Exeter area (and down to Padstow) in late steam days. Both were in maroon livery.

Looking at one of the non-started schemes mentioned earlier, the line from Totnes to Dartmouth may well have made its way through Dittisham - and may have been the site of a passing station. There's a headland, a bridge over Dittisham Mill Creek (Camel's Head?) and a close village. Plenty of possibility for scenic treatment. Virtually the whole line, apart from a tunnel (or two) at Sharpham and a viaduct across Bow Creek, could have been built alongside the river.

Hmmm. Possibilities.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The name of the station will be Bamfylde Bridge. I mentioned earlier that it would have a basis in fiction. It is taken from 'To serve them all my days 'by R F Delderfield. Described as being Bamfylde bridge halt, change at Dulverton, clearly it will move south as Delderfields novels were set in North Devon. It's a intermediate station on the branch to Shallowford ( another Delderfield reference).Not worked out the junction station yet.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I think the red dotted lines are omnibus routes. Some destinations had proposals for branches that were never built. There was a proposal for a light railway from Saltash to Callington, but the PD&SWJR got there first. In the Teign Valley Line book by Peter Kay, there are maps of a proposal to Chagford from Leigh Cross just north of Teign House sidings.

Edit. Teign House was the original terminus of the line from Heathfield, before the Exeter Railway completed the line in 1903 up to city basin in Exeter. It was north of Ashton, which is seen on the map.

I did wonder about the dotted lines. I thought they might be proposed routes but couldn't understand why they would be shown on this map. Although the layout will be fictional it will draw on railways in the area to provide, hopefully, something that will look plausible.

I want to try to avoid a cliché ridden layout.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The name of the station will be Bamfylde Bridge. I mentioned earlier that it would have a basis in fiction. It is taken from 'To serve them all my days 'by R F Delderfield. Described as being Bamfylde bridge halt, change at Dulverton, clearly it will move south as Delderfields novels were set in North Devon. It's a intermediate station on the branch to Shallowford ( another Delderfield reference).Not worked out the junction station yet.

Make sure you see the old film then.........I loved it and of course so did Jenny. However she was disappointed not to be in it.

re Midland coaches, some way back on this ANTB there is a pic of such a train and there you have the discussion. I CBA to go and look but as it is Sunday I'm sure you won't mind?

If you are very understanding I might find a couple of suitable donors, then you can fit the new sides and I do have a spare set of Comet 'Porthole' CK sides that you are welcome to have.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Looking at one of the non-started schemes mentioned earlier, the line from Totnes to Dartmouth may well have made its way through Dittisham - and may have been the site of a passing station. There's a headland, a bridge over Dittisham Mill Creek (Camel's Head?) and a close village. Plenty of possibility for scenic treatment. Virtually the whole line, apart from a tunnel (or two) at Sharpham and a viaduct across Bow Creek, could have been built alongside the river.

Hmmm. Possibilities.

Good call. That was on my shortlist:

post-9751-0-35028300-1420986275.png

Plenty of trees, a creek, a corn mill, lime kilns and a quarry at a pinch. Dittisham and East Cornworthy Station (?) about half a mile from each settlement but a mile from Dittisham Quay. 

Just a pity the branch wasn't cleared for"Red" engines.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I want to try to avoid a cliché ridden layout.

Freight only, truncated through line, end of WR steam would certainly do that... ;)

Think former track bed and gaunt signal posts without arms on the course of the old through route, with a wheezy pannier shunting box vans in an overgrown goods yard that's just about managing to stay in business...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold