• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Don't worry - perfectably acceptable behaviour...

Most kind. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hiya Rob,

Likewise, I haven't been over here in a while so I thought I'd come and see what's happening in the world of all things wool related!

Indeed, it easy to get distracted. And just to prove that I'm not completely anti steam, one project I want to do is a small Welsh colliery based shunting plank. Maybe it'll be my first flirtation with Swedish furniture! :mocking_mini:

Wayne

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hiya Rob,

Likewise, I haven't been over here in a while so I thought I'd come and see what's happening in the world of all things wool related!

Indeed, it easy to get distracted. And just to prove that I'm not completely anti steam, one project I want to do is a small Welsh colliery based shunting plank. Maybe it'll be my first flirtation with Swedish furniture! :mocking_mini:

Wayne

You know it makes sense. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Do I go for pre-1937 L&NER Brown and buff or post 1937 (ish) Green and cream (approx)........? 

In relation to the above  whilst one should avoid referring to another model, I find myself referring to MRJ. 

Issue 246 and the excellent Tollesbury Quay by Martin Stringer. Lovely colour images by Karl Crowther. Buildings in brown and cream. 

Issue 262 and Orford by Paul Clarke. Again lovely colour images of the buildings in green and cream. Decisions, decisions.......

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mick Bonwick said:

???????????????? :o

I know, I know..................:banghead:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Do I go for pre-1937 L&NER Brown and buff or post 1937 (ish) Green and cream (approx)........? 

The post 1937 green and cream I think. Its more characteristic of the area.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Speaking of snaps...

quorn-station.jpg.a3dc70d90c16f51ded5bd84d0f77ba85.jpg

This is where my friends and I spent many school lunchtimes 30 years ago.

Rothley_Station_-_geograph_org.uk_-_87793.jpg.1b90bb656c719a95ae1569517fcf9bb9.jpg

Weekends were spent a little nearer home.

So I can't actually influence you either way, just put the pictures up here for illustration purposes and because they look good...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

In relation to the above  whilst one should avoid referring to another model, I find myself referring to MRJ. 

Issue 246 and the excellent Tollesbury Quay by Martin Stringer. Lovely colour images by Karl Crowther. Buildings in brown and cream. 

Issue 262 and Orford by Paul Clarke. Again lovely colour images of the buildings in green and cream. Decisions, decisions.......

Rob. 

Green has a more characteristic feel to it for me......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brown and cream GER colours were similar to the early LNER colours so unless you've opted for repainted (post 1937) buildings might be more appropriate.

https://www.stationcolours.info/london-north-eastern-railway/

You may be looking to give this layout a different feel but tired, grubby paintwork might play to your weathering strengths.

How about a cameo with a painter(s) half way through repainting a scruffy brown building with bright green? :jester:

• Like 5

teaky (8:53ish 2nd Feb 2021)
“How about a cameo with a painter(s) half way through repainting a scruffy brown building with bright green? :jester:

Surely a case of best of both worlds there?

Edited by Tortuga
Original post somehow lost the relevant quote
  • Like 1

I do like that, I'm certain once you've waved the "magic powders" over it then you will have another little masterpiece to plant on the new layout.

Proper Job !

G

p.s. re the matt varnish....

I know you've asked a question elsewhere and I would give the Halfords rattle can one a try, lots more bang for your buck pound and the nozzle is very good too. I've used it successfully when misted over my Vallejo acrylics. If you can safely get some from your local shop then all the better and saves on the extra postage / carrier charges.

Edited by bgman
ref matt varnish
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Likewise, I am sure that once you have spent a little time on it, it will fool anyone into thinking that you scratch built it. I like the choice of design too, only the Victorians would have put a roof like that onto a shed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bgman said:

I do like that, I'm certain once you've waved the "magic powders" over it then you will have another little masterpiece to plant on the new layout.

Proper Job !

G

p.s. re the matt varnish....

I know you've asked a question elsewhere and I would give the Halfords rattle can one a try, lots more bang for your buck pound and the nozzle is very good too. I've used it successfully when misted over my Vallejo acrylics. If you can safely get some from your local shop then all the better and saves on the extra postage / carrier charges.

Thanks Grahame. I intend to pop to my local branch later today and pick up a can.  It has to be worth a try. 

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Likewise, I am sure that once you have spent a little time on it, it will fool anyone into thinking that you scratch built it. I like the choice of design too, only the Victorians would have put a roof like that onto a shed!

Morning Rob. 

Thank you. It is a bit quirky. The roof profile is a characteristic of the W&U  but the huts are normally bigger, approx double the size. In addition, they had a simple stove pipe chimney as opposed to a proper brick job. 

That said, I'm hoping to capture the look and feel of the line working  within the confines of ready to run locos and stock along with  ready to plant buildings so the need to compromise is  inevitable. 

In that respect,  I think this will fit the bill. 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gilbert said:

Certainly agree about Halfords - shake well..

Me or the tin ? 

• Funny 3