• RMweb Gold

Indeed. I find that when I start weathering something, time just flies and I suddenly think ' that looks okay......how did that happen?'

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

31 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Indeed. I find that when I start weathering something, time just flies and I suddenly think ' that looks okay......how did that happen?'

I've taken to making notes as I go along over the years whenever I do something like your fine weathering etc Rob, although with the advent of the camera on mobiles it has become easier to photograph each stage with the necessary tools / materials in shot to form a sequence as an aid.

It may seem a pain at the time but has paid dividends when wishing to replicate previous work.

G

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, bgman said:

I've taken to making notes as I go along over the years whenever I do something like your fine weathering etc Rob, although with the advent of the camera on mobiles it has become easier to photograph each stage with the necessary tools / materials in shot to form a sequence as an aid.

It may seem a pain at the time but has paid dividends when wishing to replicate previous work.

G

Or maybe just video the process so no phone faffing when covered in powder. In my recording studio it’s common practise to video in order to remember elements of the session. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I approached  (sheepish like) these two goodly souls in the hope they would sell me some of their weathered wood paint. They thought I was barking and said, "they wood knot sell me any of their paint under any cypress tree circumstance".

I felt sapped at their refusal.

** GROAN **

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I approached  (sheepish like) these two goodly souls in the hope they would sell me some of their weathered wood paint. They thought I was barking and said, "they wood knot sell me any of their paint under any cypress tree circumstance".

WeatheredWood--017-EditSm.jpg.1ba67d7a22f8cb1adb8b27a160e34507.jpg

Bloke on the left is a faster worker.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

5 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

He's not a Union Official, by any chance, is he?

You know, I think he just might be. I wondered why he told me I couldn't "get him" as he was in a hurry. He had to deliver some strawberries to his local branch. He suffixed all of his sentences with the word, "bro".  I thought he was just trying to be modern.

P

(Must stop taking the painkillers)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Given your normal approach, Chris, I'm pretty sure you are selling yourself short. 

Start with a light colour as I did. 

I then add in the weathering powders. In hindsight  I should have started by adding in the 'smoke' powder to fill in the grooves in the planking. Then add the other colours. Its all about blending it all in. But it was a test piece.....

And don't panic. If it goes wrong  leave it and come back to it. It will work out fine. 

I did take a couple work in progress photos. 

Rob. 

20210212_124841.jpg

20210212_213310-01.jpeg

20210212_234551-01.jpeg

Brilliant!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

WeatheredWood--017-EditSm.jpg.1ba67d7a22f8cb1adb8b27a160e34507.jpg

Nice cotoneasters.

13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

Natural light is at a premium here today. 

Therefore, I have another image under my work light. I have tweaked the finish slightly. Not much but a fresh pair of eyes this morning required a bit more colour. Rust was added here and there and the darker areas lightened slightly. 

For comparison, this is what we started with. 

20210213_090815-01.jpeg.3b670bcff62fa60acf7c29aaee194462.jpeg

To this........

20210213_085002-01.jpeg

I'm happy with this finish.  All I need to do is remember what I did.......

But worthwhile testing matters ahead of tackling the buildings themselves. 

20210213_091004-01.jpeg.4165ed2c044cf5d0e9a7b8d84191a159.jpeg

Rob. 

Sometimes a piece of modelling inspiration comes along, just at the right time, that you just have to crib. This is such a time.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

22 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice cotoneasters.

From my experience of those plants, they will be home to about 50 billion spiders. Looks very nice on a frosty morning though with all the webs.

Slightly more on topic, the weathering of sample tongue and groove boards and wagon floors is making me look at how I do things and reminds me that every day is a school day. I think that it is time I invested in some weathering powders and used more of the same paint and techniques from my artwork on my models.

• Like 3