I seem to remember reading that 65469 was a shed pet whilst at Norwich in the late 50s. Did it acquire red rods for rail tour duty? Loco was often seen on what is now the Mid Norfolk line up to Wells next the Sea  and was photographed on the milk trains a few times. It should also have a tarpaulin rail I think.

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Ah, red coupling rods! Like red stockings for a loco... :o

20210217_163753_copy_1600x849.jpg.b7df40bcfdbe790d408cb29b67edb783.jpg

A lovely trio. They look very nice indeed and this is from some one who really, ahem, doesn't *cough*like the *cough*L&NER. 

Thanks for posting and  yes, I do like red coupling rods.......

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I have often wondered if there was a practical reason for painting coupling rods. With BR shunters I assume that it was for safety reasons. That "Do not put your fingers where you wouldn't put more delicate parts of your anatomy". But in steam days, just about everything had coupling rods.

BTW, I think that coupling rods look good painted red, but if I saw a woman whose legs looked like coupling rods in stockings, I think I would have to run away very quickly...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

No sense of adventure!

Its a bit like deciding to model ex-GER branch lines.....

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Always liked the red and black livery that most of the European railways seemed to use in the steam days, a legacy of the beautiful Fleischmann trains a school friend had and assorted war films I think.

It's actually very practical too, way easier to spot a crack in a red painted frame or spoke.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The J15s are lovely runners out the box but both will have a period of running in. 

On the subject of weathering, I see 469, red coupling rods, as having a cared for appearance but retaining a slight air of grubyness about it. In the condition modelled by Hornby it should also have a GER stovepipe chimney, but I am loathe to try and replace it........

464 , late crest  will be more distressed.  

Rob

Just checked Yeadons. 464 is recorded as receiving its late crest in 1957 following overhaul. It might therefore be left unmolested and we overlook the fact that it was a Stratford loco from 1942 until withdrawn 20 years later......

Found this on the "Disused Railways" FB page....I swear that's part of a Kadee coupler showing at the front... ;)

130964754_10159149121608854_771390689562

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with you lot

You can take the 'L' out of 'LNER', but it's still the same suspects.

You can take the 'LN' out of 'LNER' and substitute a 'G' and not notice the difference, the Men in White Coats will still come and take you away, ha ha.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

You can take the 'L' out of 'LNER', but it's still the same suspects.

You can take the 'LN' out of 'LNER' and substitute a 'G' and not notice the difference, the Men in White Coats will still come and take you away, ha ha.

But very slowly.......

• Funny 1

Time extremely well spent with your experimenting and I will look forward to your decision when applied to the buildings Rob.

Personally I am very much taken with the lighter wood.

Keep up this excellent work !

G

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

More wood stuff this morning. 

This time in natural light.....ish. Weathers a bit non-committal this morning. 

This is the original weathered by me Tamiya Flat Brown as recommended as a match.

20210218_085832-01-01.jpeg.8f08532f4d3c738503e9ca9b34c369c3.jpeg

This is my take which started off as Humbrol Leather 62........Then I tinkered with it......and no, I didn't take photos. I got carried away....again..

20210218_085832-01.jpeg.e6ede3114ee3f16cb97fa06da101c1af.jpeg

Rob. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4