• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all. 

May I present the next victim........cough ...ahem....cough....subject. 

This will be Lambton's engine shed and I am grateful to Brian from 247 Developments for what is effectively a donation to the Sheep Chronicles. 

I shall give this a bit of thought but I am considering lowering it a tad. In any event, I think I could have a bit of fun with this.....

Rob. 

20210225_170953-01.jpeg

• Like 17

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Afternoon all. 

I shall give this a bit of thought but I am considering lowering it a tad. In any event, I think I could have a bit of fun with this.....

Rob. 

20210225_170953-01.jpeg

Or, raise the Track and land around it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Or, raise the Track and land around it?

8 minutes ago, KNP said:

My first thought as well!!!!

Well......my normal M.O is to use DAS to provide the ground cover and bed the buildings in. 

I'm pretty certain I can lower the building by slicing off the bottom 5mm or so. 

Food for thought......

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Well......my normal M.O is to use DAS to provide the ground cover and bed the buildings in. 

I'm pretty certain I can lower the building by slicing off the bottom 5mm or so. 

Food for thought......

Rob. 

Think thrice, measure twice, cut once....just saying...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

and preferably - have a (insert alcoholic beverage of choice here) first.....sleep on it..

Wouldn't that be uncomfortable?

Unless it would spoil the aesthetics of the building, I think it ought to be ground upwards rather than shed downwards. Just a point of view.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I did something similar with an engine shed (it was an extension to an early layout and I wanted a proper floor in the building) I raised the track and all the surrounding area up on one three millimetre layer of mounting card. 

I placed the building over the track and drew all the way round the inside and outside of the walls. 

I then cut another layer of card to fit inside the building and up to the edges of the sleepers, before filling all the sleeper area to look like rails bolted to concrete. To make it look like the building was set in the ground, I cut another piece of card to go around the outside of the building. This left a 3mm trench that the building sat in. 

It occurs to me that the first layer of card (my board levelling bodge) could be cut through to baseboard level, giving a "foundation trench" of 6mm. 

Which would save trying to saw 5mm off the bottom of a ceramic building.

Sounds complicated, but it's a few minutes with a Stanley knife and a rule.

The slight change in levels is by no means an unprotypical features either.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

It appears that the shed has hinged doors, (the photo angle does not show the door opening) .

That means also cutting the doors to fit. The problem then is getting a door-fitting gang to re-hang them because  Little Muddle seem to have beaten you to the available labour.  Negotiations with Kevin ???

I fear that there may be a delay  

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, DonB said:

It appears that the shed has hinged doors, (the photo angle does not show the door opening) .

That means also cutting the doors to fit. The problem then is getting a door-fitting gang to re-hang them because  Little Muddle seem to have beaten you to the available labour.  Negotiations with Kevin ???

I fear that there may be a delay  

If we wait that long then the line will be closed and the track lifted before that lot get around to it.....

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

An idea for a future layout!

I have enough on my plate and am in enough trouble as it is what with the arrival  this morning, of a book I had forgotten about............

• Friendly/supportive 5

No labour is available from Little Muddle as they are very busy at present deciding on their next course of action.

In fact I could go as far to say they are rather stuck in their ways as they seem to be rooted to the spot and unable to move.....

Put simply, they are glued!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

43 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

With feet of clay ( of the modelling  variety )

In actual fact I happen to know that they are only stuck down with bluetack. So I'd take it with a large pinch of salt when Kevin says they are 'busy'. Was tempted to say 'clay' but thought salt was better. Mind you I did hear a rumour that they were going to build a library in order to house a new index.:P

Edited by Winslow Boy

17 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

In actual fact I happen to know that they are only stuck down with bluetack. So I'd take it with a large pinch of salt when Kevin says they are 'busy'. Was tempted to say 'clay' but thought salt was better. Mind you I did hear a rumour that they were going to build a library in order to house a new index.:P

They’re thinking about it?

I didn't want to mention the effect that lowering the height of the engine shed would have had on the doors....

But considering the period that Rob is modelling, British Railways wouldn't have sent a team of carpenters out to mend rotten or damaged engine shed doors. They would either have let them fall off and burnt them, or added the cost of actually doing something positive to the list of reasons for closing the branch altogether. :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I didn't want to mention the effect that lowering the height of the engine shed would have had on the doors....

But considering the period that Rob is modelling, British Railways wouldn't have sent a team of carpenters out to mend rotten or damaged engine shed doors. They would either have let them fall off and burnt them, or added the cost of actually doing something positive to the list of reasons for closing the branch altogether. :D

I'm inclined to think that if there was any threat of closure, the doors would

have been replaced, and a team of painters sent in. To repaint the whole

line whilst at it. (They weren't clever enough to simply justify their argument).

Thankfully this would have happened months ago, so hopefully

the future is still secure.

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
correct reference
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

In considering a 'ground up' approach, Rob, if that also includes a 'track up' approach, then I think I'd be somewhat wary about introducing varying levels to the permanent way.

Hi Tim, 

Yep, agree. I want to keep track level constant. I think the minor issue I am having is the proportions of the building. Its short, therefore looks taller than it actually is. 

I think it will balance itself out. The station building will be sat on the platform so probably will end up at a similar height, hence the balance. 

I need to mock up the station using the buildings me thinks. 

Rob

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Psst I know where there's some 'spare' doors for an engine shed. Just say the word and they can be yours for seven and six.

• Funny 4