• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

A quick post if I may to say thank you for all who have clicked 'like' etc on the write up for scruffy station building, or made comment. Its all appreciated and gratefully received. 

As alluded to, the next victim will be the engine shed. Still giving this a bit of thought but may well knuckle down to it later. 

First of all there is the small matter of a days work to attend to........

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

14 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I use Vallejo varnish in the airbrush but I wondered if the humbrol matt gave a tougher finish as I imagine the Vallejo stuff wouldn’t stand up to much abuse (especially with a fibreglass pencil)

If I may, 

I've used both Vallejo and AK varnishes through my airbrushes, usually on a low pressure to mist over powders and found them to be just as resilient. I was put off using Humbrol varnish from the bottle when I found very inconsistent results a few years ago, even the model shop who stocked it put a notice below the bottles warning of such problems. I have however had good results from the spray can as per Rob.

I have also had really good results from the Army Painter Anti Shine Matt Varnish as used by wargamers on their "toy soldiers" .

G

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Ighten said:

Im guessing your doing this indoors (the spraying from aerosol) - there's only so many times I can get away with saying the Rayburns juts been serviced...

I used to spray indoors, but stopped doing that a few years ago, partly due to the smell and disapproval from CTMK, but also due to the build up of residue from paint particles on surfaces such as the window sill.

I've been spraying in the shed now ever since. I can spray in the colder weather, but putting the warm air blower on in the shed and leaving it for 20 minutes or so and also by ensuring that the paint is not cold (which it won't be, because that is not stored in the shed).

I'm hoping that the days of spray painting in the shed will come to an end, though, as I want to purchase a good quality extractor booth at some stage.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

as I want to purchase a good quality extractor booth at some stage.

Money well spent I say.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

All this exchange of views about spraying has prompted me to invade somebody else's topic (sorry, Rob) and spout forth.

I have been using airbrushes and aerosols for some 9 or so years now, both at home and for courses, workshops and demonstrations. During that time I have come across many views and ideas about what is and is not safe/good/recommended.

I have done much investigation on the topic, not least because I have to consider other people's health as well as my own. The following summary should help to give a balanced and informed view of the topic.

Paints consist of pigment and carrier. The carrier evaporates and the pigment remains.

Airbrushes and aerosols work by atomising paint, so there will be a cloud of mostly invisible particles around the work area and it is not a good idea to breathe them in. Whether the paint is enamel, acrylic, cellulose or any other type, those particles will be present.

Enamel and cellulose paints (solvent based) have carriers that you can smell, so it is fairly easy to detect their presence. Many (not all) acrylic paints have carriers that do not smell, so their presence is difficult to detect. Smell or no smell, the paint particles will be there!

The solvents will probably give you a headache, the paint particles will harm your lungs.

The most convenient way to deal with the paint particles is to use the airbrush or aerosol outside. This is not the most practical of situations for most modellers, especially in this wonderful country of ours. There are two ways of stopping the paint particles from going up your nose when using an airbrush indoors:

• A mask that filters out particles down to 5 microns
  • An extraction unit or spray booth that either filters particles or expels them from the area around your face.

As mentioned by my Captain, the presence of the particles can eventually be seen on top of everything in the room where the spraying was done, proof enough that you have been breathing them in. If your spray booth is not up to the mark, that layer will be there as well. Most hobby spray booth filters will not cope with aerosol paints. They produce paint particles too thick and fast for these filters to remove them from the airflow. The result is that the filters will clog up and the particles produced will simply bounce back up your nose.

There you have it. If you are going to atomise paint, make sure it doesn't go up your nose. You will die!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold

Mick,

That's very helpful. In our local group, vented booths by BenchVent have been recommended as being able to extract 100% (or as close as makes no difference) of all particles.

I was planning on getting one of these - https://benchvent.com/shop/bv300s-d-a3-extraction-unit/

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well worth it I would say. 

I live in hope that I will have a dedicated workshop area at some point and not be reliant on the dining table, garage and downstairs toilet. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

By the way, we appear to have tottered onto 400 pages. 

Good effort all round. 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 11

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Still going strong Rob, although she has had some strange visitors recently...

20191225_161850.jpg.216c1ed1782820f4a71e34f7596fce97.jpg20200416_205225.jpg.eef56e4e57cea5db339a1cb89de62290.jpg20200911_155907.jpg.1e4a61cfc58ebdcccb74edf77da6e781.jpg20200929_180749.jpg.16919bd7681090794d01923e03f8fe69.jpg20201213_211356.jpg.18410cb5c2a3ae03c2a88fd2238d6904.jpg

And finally combining your first and latest endeavours...

20201003_161905.jpg.fd7328456d1b223717fa764e316fa8d0.jpg

All looks perfectly normal to me....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Still going strong Rob, although she has had some strange visitors recently...

20191225_161850.jpg.216c1ed1782820f4a71e34f7596fce97.jpg20200416_205225.jpg.eef56e4e57cea5db339a1cb89de62290.jpg20200911_155907.jpg.1e4a61cfc58ebdcccb74edf77da6e781.jpg20200929_180749.jpg.16919bd7681090794d01923e03f8fe69.jpg20201213_211356.jpg.18410cb5c2a3ae03c2a88fd2238d6904.jpg

And finally combining your first and latest endeavours...

20201003_161905.jpg.fd7328456d1b223717fa764e316fa8d0.jpg

Morning Mike. 

Its good to see SL still in use and being enjoyed. 

SL was the first layout I would ever refer to as finished and a nice way of coming back to a hobby that was really dead in the water to me. It was also built at a time when there was a great deal going on and  at times, became a very  welcome diversion. I learnt so much building it, including how much fun this hobby is and have a bit of confidence to try things out. Simply have a go.

It was also the very first time I built a layout to exhibit and in fact a little under twelve months after it was started, I did exhibit it and I was quite taken aback by peoples reaction to what I always describe as a bit of track nailed to a shelf.  

I have often thought about repeating the exercise and applying what I have learnt since then.

One day maybe. 

Rob. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

We have a new kid on the block in the form of a new body acquired for my PLA Peckett. 

Unfortunately it arrived damaged with the rear cabsheet pushed in, handrail snapped, brake standard pushed forwards and regulator bent. 

Much straightening out later here we have it. The handrails are a bit rough but I shall give them a link of paint and see how it is. I can alway replace with wire. 

Wheels to be repainted, new cylinders on order......oh and I contrived to squash the whistle being ham hoofed. However, I have a spare Sentinel whistle in stock. 

A nice addition to the roster. 

Rob. 

20210305_192048-01.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I thought for a minute you had had a visit from vandals who had polished your Peckett (ooer missus and all that...)

It does look very nice and I am very tempted to own one, but I'm a little confused still about the condition. In this house we like to buy old broken things that may have come from a battlefield in Slovenia or a lock up garage in Carnforth. 

But there's a preponderance of things on RMWeb that seem to be specially pre broken from new?

Edited by MrWolf
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Quite. This little chap arrived thus and required a bit of reassembly.

But the reality is that by the time I have had it on the cutting mat and added a bit of distress....it will probably look a lot worse.....

20210305_151224.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It does look very nice and I am very tempted to own one

Me too, I do like the range of industrial locos now available, especially the Pecketts and Hatton’s Barclay’s

I can see myself doing an industrial layout at some point in the future.....

....Once Warren is further along of course

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Oh dear, is your letterbox sited on the crossbar of a rugby goalpost?

It looks like it was delivered in a drop goal by the Pontypool centre forward...

I take it that you already had a chassis?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Oh dear, is your letterbox sited on the crossbar of a rugby goalpost?

It looks like it was delivered in a drop goal by the Pontypool centre forward...

I take it that you already had a chassis?

You'd like to think wouldn't you.......Nope this is  as delivered by hand courtesy of Royal Mail this very afternoon. 

I suspect the damage was caused when the body was replaced into the plastic cradle. The ends are designed to abut the cabsheet. However, it won't sit in the same way as when on the chassis. There was no damage to the outer packaging or the box inside so we can draw our own conclusions. The seller has refunded a proportion of the cost  so its actually worked out okay. But I was a tad miffed. 

As for chassis, yes, I had a blue Peckett and fancied a change of clothes. 

They really are lovely little locos and I prefer them to the Hattons Andrew Barclay. They will run well but can need a tweak or two. 

Sheep Dip therefore has an additional Peckett.....and I can see a couple more arriving before the year is out....

There will of course be a bit of weathering involved With this little chap......just saying...

Rob. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Well, I shall (ab)use the privilege of making the 10,000th post by saying that I reckon you've sorted out those problems very nicely, Rob. If you hadn't said I wouldn't have known.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4