I have to agree there. I think that all those details combine so that the more you look at the scene, the more you think to yourself - I have actually BEEN to a place like that.

Confirmation, as if it were needed, that the whole scene just works.

We then forget the couplings, or the electric motors in the locos, or the fact that the box vans are sealed shut and so on...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 30/12/2020 at 12:53, Mulgabill said:

That does prompt the question - Is there any 12" : Ft prototype for this phenomena?

e.g. Did the GWR have any similar issues with the pannier tanks built by outside contractors,

compared to the Swindon prototypes. ( No doubt other railways are available).

TONY

Dunno about contractor-built panniers, but I've seen references to the NBL King Arthur's not being as good as SR-built ones until they'd had a General at Eastleigh.

More recently, an EWS driver told me none of the doors (and several other things) fitted properly on Class 66 locos as delivered. Examples that had been through works over here were reckoned to be transformed.

John

• Like 2

Like a cased AP projectile?

An armour piercing Cornish pasty would be interesting.

Which reminds me that Gregg's sausage rolls should be banned under the Geneva Convention.

As a result, thousands of chav toddlers wouldn't start on the path to obesity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Like a cased AP projectile?

An armour piercing Cornish pasty would be interesting.

Which reminds me that Gregg's sausage rolls should be banned under the Geneva Convention.

As a result, thousands of chav toddlers wouldn't start on the path to obesity.

I think this needs testing. Any volunteers?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Afternoon all. 

I've had a quiet hour or so playing trains this morning. 

Bleat Wharf has seen much in the way of shunting using 58072. Little chap is still not run in as of yet but just pottering about has thrown up no issues at all. 

Its a nice loco and Bachmann have really captured the character of the real thing as seen through numerous photos. 

Its the little things that stand out......or don't as the case may be. As an example, as we know the real 58072 was one of a batch originally used in the Underground. The long pipes back from the smoke box are testament to this. What wasn't was the fact that the side tanks are double skinned with a gap to the front to allow cooling air to be directed over the side tanks, thereby cooling the hot vapour deposited in the tanks via said long pipes. 

All good stuff. 

20201231_120558-01-01.jpeg

20201231_115815-02.jpeg

Having recovered my equanimity after the onslaught of armour piercing comestibles, I thought I should comment on the issue of the cladding sheets spaced off the side faces of the tanks on condensing locos. There were two reasons for the outer plates:

1 - To help channel the cooling air to the tank and prevent overheating the feed water (injectors don't normally work well with hot feed water).

2 - To keep the outer surface of the loco cooler to the touch - so preventing the risk of burns to crews and those passing close to the loco and avoiding damage to the painted livery on the tankside.

On the "Metropolitan Railway" and "Metropolitan District Railway" Circle Line, there were a number of stations where special drain arrangements were installed at the loco watering facilities, to allow the hot water (near boiling!) to be dumped and replaced by cold during a station stop.  The trouble is I can't now remember which stations had that provision - without a lot of hunting??

I suspect other companies using condensor fitted locomotives needed similar facilitities.

Hope that helps

Best wishes for a Good New Year.

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thoughts are now turning to this years project or in my case projects.

In a classic “chicken and egg” scenario, I found myself wondering about what comes first, the loco or the layout. Sheep Dip was definitely built around Hornby's Pecketts. Mutton was always a home for Hornby’s Radials. Once again it’s locos again that are making the running. 

Outwool will feature Model Rail J70s along with a Sentinel or two. There’s also scope for a J15 but it is very much a build along the lines of the Wisbleat and Upwool. 

The arrival of the Bachmann 1P once again prompted thoughts of a BLT squeezed into the usual 120cm x 40cm coffee table top. Nothing spectacular and honestly not needed as the 1P can ply its trade on Bleat Wharf. That said, I have the buildings and stock for it already so a quick build of a S&DJR outpost could be on the cards. 

That would give a choice of five small Cameo layouts when we are able to exhibit again........and if not.............then I still have five small layouts. 

I really must find a proper home for these at some point...

Rob

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking more of the loft. It could be quite nice having all of them set up, lights on, comfy chair, glass of Port. Modelling desk........

We shall of course, see what happens. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

That would give a choice of five small Cameo layouts when we are able to exhibit again........and if not.............then I still have five small layouts. 

That sounds like a win / win situation.

• Agree 2