• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

Today I am hoping to make a repair to a Bachmann RTP building which I managed to drop not once but twice a few years ago. 

Damage was caused to various edges, mainly the roof and I am hoping to make good using Milliput. I think its well worth the effort involved. Its a nice little building and it will look the part. 

If I can do a decent enough repair to stand scrutiny then this building will form the view blocker from the fiddle yard on Outwool. 

Its a start. 

Rob. 

Well, I'm starting to make good some RTP buildings that I took a multitool cutter too...

IMG_20210102_143640_1.jpg.dc6566ab57ee3aaf8dc7b051667e945b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

Today I am hoping to make a repair to a Bachmann RTP building which I managed to drop not once but twice a few years ago. 

Damage was caused to various edges, mainly the roof and I am hoping to make good using Milliput. I think its well worth the effort involved. Its a nice little building and it will look the part. 

If I can do a decent enough repair to stand scrutiny then this building will form the view blocker from the fiddle yard on Outwool. 

Its a start. 

Rob. 

Glad to hear you are on the mend Rob. You might try Das for the repair. I used some to repair a plaster plaque that got knocked off the wall a few years ago.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Glad to hear you are on the mend Rob. You might try Das for the repair. I used some to repair a plaster plaque that got knocked off the wall a few years ago.

Alex

Morning Alex. 

I thought about DAS but in the end, used Milliput.  I spent a pleasant morning yesterday filling and sanding the additions. I'm quite pleased with the result and I'm on the painting and weathering stage this morning. 

Even better is the fact that this building has gone from sitting in its box for the last couple of years to use on the next layout. 

There's still a couple of rough edges but I can live with those and its turned out to be a nice little project. 

Rob. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

Here are a couple of cruel close ups. 

This will do methinks. Yes, a few rough edges remain but it will do and I think it will look fine once in situ. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What the... I leave the thread alone for a couple of weeks and the Sheepman goes down with the plague!  Sorry to hear you’ve had it Rob, I’m told it’s a very unpleasant experience, and glad you are over the worst and in recovery mode.  Take it easy, stay in, stay safe, you know the drill, and rest up with some modelling therapy.  ATB. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

9 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

There's something very therapeutic about repairing stuff or finishing stuff you've sidelined rather than starting new projects.....nice work.

Chris

I agree, I think the trick is to make the repair a little project of its own - as Rob seems to have done here - rather than trying to do it hurriedly.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

20210124_104003-01.jpeg

Rob, have you tweaked the windows in this building, or were you lucky enough to get one of the few that come with them all squarely installed? I have seen many RTP resin buildings that are spoilt by having one or more windows glued in crookedly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Rob, have you tweaked the windows in this building, or were you lucky enough to get one of the few that come with them all squarely installed? I have seen many RTP resin buildings that are spoilt by having one or more windows glued in crookedly.

Hi Mick, 

Short answer, no.

Ordinarily I would pop all the windows out and weather the frames separately to the building. I would then refit after the building is weathered. 

I didn't on this occasion as there is no access to the bay window from behind so I left all in situ.

Therefore,  the windows are as factory fitted. 

To be honest, in my experience, Bachmann RTP buildings are generally better finished that the Hornby equivalents. 

Of the other buildings on Outwool, two of the three are Hornby and the windows will be removed on these to weather. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and comments. 

Plans for the weekend ( subject to change of course) include a continuation of the tweaking of the buildings for Outwool.  Given their small size, I hope to finish them off. 

I need to order a couple of buffers stops from Lanarkshire models and still need to locate some bullhead rail to make the loading gauge. 

All good. 

Rob

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Not sure what happened really but what I do know is, I had a very easy and relaxing day.

That's important! You're obviously coping well with this recovery mullarky. More power to your elbow, whatever you use it for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

In other news, I have clearly been influenced by all this exposure to bucolic Ex-GER branch lines and have decided( no, really) that I will, contrary to my earlier shelving of the project, be building a small terminus at some point on which small Ex-GER engines may play. 

Can't see the attraction myself......

50025578453_e061162ba4_z.jpg

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1