• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I take it that you haven't watched too many horror films? 

Be careful what you wish for, the grass is always greener, there's always a catch and a thousand other cautionary statements. There are one or two bats in her belfry that you may not be able to cope with. 

Been there...done that...

• Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Been there...done that...

Want to buy a T shirt? :D

Seriously though, nobody's perfect. I didn't think that I would find anyone who could cope with my, shall we say personality quirks? :crazy:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I can see I'm going to have to do a bit more railway modelling..............

One thing that I am giving some thought to, after the success of the reboot of the L&Y Pug is a similar operation on a Terrier. I want to see if I can get a smooth running chassis. Once I have got one, then I might consider getting a resin body to produce a J69 as per the latest issue of Model Rail. 

The results with these bodies are directly in proportion to the amount of effort put in. 

In lieu of my own efforts, here's a perfect example as per Chris's ( Gilbert) resin bodied skirted 04.  A really top class build and one I hope to emulate at some point. 

If you've not looked into Chris's Lockdown Fen thread, then please do. 

The bar is set. 

50902538122_08f93f3ef8_z.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Sir is very kind....its a Sparkshot print and I managed a fair bit of resin abuse during the build...fortunately one side is reasonably viewable...not a difficult task if you're not a clumsy oaf...be very, very careful....

Out of interest you've reminded me I have a digital subscription to Model Rail but can't remember when I last saw a copy!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I have to say that little 04 is a really nice model and my only criticism is that I can't find a way to justify having one on my layout, it being a diseasel and not being Great Western (Hail Satan etc etc) well worth the effort and the aggro. A credit to your skills and ingenuity @Gilbert

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/02/2021 at 12:28, MrWolf said:

I missed out on the W&M railcars and as you say, when they come up for sale, bidding goes mad. I have the remnants of a motorised Airfix railcar, with a bit of careful bodging ( read - a new body kit from Dapol ) it might just see service again. But it really isn't in the same league.

One went for only £72ish IIRC a few weeks ago, I missed the ending time. Needless to say I was disappointed!

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I can see I'm going to have to do a bit more railway modelling..............

One thing that I am giving some thought to, after the success of the reboot of the L&Y Pug is a similar operation on a Terrier. I want to see if I can get a smooth running chassis. Once I have got one, then I might consider getting a resin body to produce a J69 as per the latest issue of Model Rail. 

The results with these bodies are directly in proportion to the amount of effort put in. 

Presume you're eyeing up the ones available on eBay? Noticed them a few weeks ago, and they're very tempting given you can pick up the old Hornby Terriers quite cheaply. Problem is I use DCC and I'm not great with a soldering iron. Haven't got my subscription copy of MR yet, something extra to look forward to though.  

As an aside, good to see your GE interest growing. It's a rather bucolic and addictive region once you start finding out about the different branches and secondary routes, coupled with some rather elderly and elegant motive power and you're onto a winner. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, NXEA! said:

Presume you're eyeing up the ones available on eBay?

As an aside, good to see your GE interest growing. It's a rather bucolic and addictive region once you start finding out about the different branches and secondary routes, coupled with some rather elderly and elegant motive power and you're onto a winner. 

Yes.  Looking at them, I think there is some mileage to be gained from adding additional parts such as brass chimney, whistle, smoke box dart, westinghouse pump etc and spending time prepping. 

Once I have a decent running chassis, I can take it from there. 

As for Great Eastern branches, yep  very addictive. I'm learning all the time. Being the lazy sort, its crying out for a RTR J69 and possibly an E4 which would be splendid. Everything else is there really to make a good go of it. That said, a pair of J15s will be more than adequate for now. 

I'm really not able to produce an exact replica of a station but hopefully by carefully choosing buildings and accessories, I can capture the look and feel of these lines. 

Oh along with a good swipe of  my usual broad brush..

Rob. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

Taking a leaf out of Micks book, we might well see some testing done of paint and weathering in relation to the proposed finish for the buildings on Lambton. 

As ever, results will appear here....at some point.....

First, I will be watching Mick opening his parcel...

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Just returned from taking the car to get a slow puncture successfully repaired. Now having a cup of tea and came across this...

Its from the same chaps responsible for Shwt.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/model-railways/shwt-in-em-gauge/

Top modelling. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Addy linky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2021 at 10:42, NHY 581 said:

The Hayling Island branch is a lovely line. I did think about a small through station inspired by Langstone but discounted it as it would have been too similar to Mutton. 

However the thought of a BLT for the Terriers did get me thinking and I think led me to the current plans for a Great Eastern BLT.

Does it help to remember that the LBSCR operated over GE metals? Sadly only between the Thames Tunnel and Liverpool St, but, hey......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Just returned from taking the car to get a slow puncture successfully repaired. Now having a cup of tea and came across this...

Its from the same chaps responsible for Shwt.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/model-railways/shwt-in-em-gauge/

Top modelling. 

Rob. 

The Elmore thread is great isn’t it!

Lovely, really high quality modelling.

Jay

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I wish I could get my slow puncture repaired.....just saying... ;)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

The Elmore thread is great isn’t it!

Lovely, really high quality modelling.

Jay

Its spot on. 

Rob 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

Natural light is at a premium here today. 

Therefore, I have another image under my work light. I have tweaked the finish slightly. Not much but a fresh pair of eyes this morning required a bit more colour. Rust was added here and there and the darker areas lightened slightly. 

For comparison, this is what we started with. 

20210213_090815-01.jpeg.3b670bcff62fa60acf7c29aaee194462.jpeg

To this........

20210213_085002-01.jpeg

I'm happy with this finish.  All I need to do is remember what I did.......

But worthwhile testing matters ahead of tackling the buildings themselves. 

20210213_091004-01.jpeg.4165ed2c044cf5d0e9a7b8d84191a159.jpeg

Rob. 

Looking good Rob - what was the base colour you used before weathering was applied?

Jay

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Looking good Rob - what was the base colour you used before weathering was applied?

Jay

Morning, Jay. 

I'm sorry, I should have taken more photos. Once I got into it, I just became absorbed. 

The base colour is good old fashioned Humbrol 103 enamel, cream. The brown on the bottom is Tamiya XF 64 brown acrylic. A poorly masked Humbrol matt black line separates them. 

Then I weathered using powders. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6