2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

In the great scheme of things, these are not insurmountable issues and a great many people simply get on with far more serious issues. To me though, after years of good health and fitness, this will take some getting used to.

I can certainly empathise with all of that Rob - over a decade ago now I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis ('you what?' I said to the consultant!) - among other things (chronic fatique being the worst) I also have constant pins and needles in both my hands and feet - and the former get shaky and cold and my feet are always like ice! I also developed type 2 diabetes as a result of the weight gain from the steroids used to treat the MG (you have to laugh!) This has also caused the arthritis in my fingers to get worse, and I'm sure many sheep are actually far less clumsy in the use of their hooves! But I have the same attitude as you - there are people far worse off than me (especially so this last year) and I can still crack on with my modelling, so things aren't anywhere near as bad as can be, eh?!

Keep your Pecketts up!

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

I've PM'd his Sheepness as I've rather coincidentally got a similar issue which is currently having a slight impact on my modelling mojo and dexterity . I wish him well and I'm sure things will improve for both of us.

I just wanted to add that although I do have concerns  once you've sat in the Outpatient waiting area for a neuro surgery set up you soon realise you're actually quite well off....

C

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Take care Rob. No rush for anything just take your time to get yourself back on an even keel. It's early days with the diabetes. You'll need time to digest it all but as quite few RM Webber's will testify its just needs you to adjust. Cheers Ian

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

best wishes for a recovery - time heals.

If you want a chat about T2 DM, please PM me.  I am a recent ish (2 years) T2 and have successfully controlled it without drugs.  Dr Jason Fung's book 'the Diabetes code' is very enlightening and helped understand the condition.  Folk don't 'get' diabetes it is a serious condition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Argh, rotten news Rob. Having your abilities impinged on when your creativity is so broad must be very frustrating. Seems Covid can trigger all sorts of unrelated conditions.

Hopefully things will get under control and you can continue to wow us with your schemes.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

I can also empathise with some of your problems. Since we ended up with covid just in time for the first lockdown, we have had plenty of time to recover and although we didn't have the lasting breathlessness that other people I know did, the lethargy still affects us both, though I suspect it is now more of a learned behaviour created by our existing sleep problems. 

There's little pattern to it, but at least we have learned to work around it. 

That is something that I have also done with my hand and right leg. I can't run to the end of the street, but I can walk or cycle all day and keeping going with my paintings and more recently a return to model making.has improved my dexterity and at least kept things operational as much as possible. 

Keep active, look after yourself and never give up, life's better that way.

Keep it shiny side up.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

20 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Thank you all. 

None of what I have written below seeks to generate sympathy or response but perhaps illustrates how things can change, very quickly. 

I'm struggling at present with a couple of arguably minor health issues which if taken on an individual basis would be taken in my stride, but coming together, they're taking a bit of getting used to. 

I have a couple of things hanging over from COVID. I still get short of breath and some three months on, I still have no sense of smell. Subject to change of course but I am resigned to its permanent loss.

More intrusive are the issues that I now have with my hands. Some ten years ago I had two operations, one on each hand, to address Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Whether by coincidence or resulting from the encounter with COVID this seems to have returned with vengeance since Christmas.  I've had minor issues back last year, but no where near what it is now, which is probably where I was just before the last op. My left hand is worse than my right.

I now have continuous pins and needles which varies in intensity and  progresses to numbness and a cold feeling in both hands. 

Recently , I  have also noticed my hands will shake when doing something fiddly, which I am sure is connected. This all means for example, it is difficult to use craft knives, small files and paint brushes due to the narrow diameter of them all. It can be quite painful. It took me about an hour the other night to replace two crank pins on one of the Pecketts. I am also very clumsy all of a sudden, dropping things...

So thats one theory why my hooves are wonky. The other may arise from being diagnosed as diabetic two weeks ago with the loss of feeling in hands and feet that go with that. It might well be a combination of both. 

Monday to Friday, I am still working from home, spending  roughly six hours a day sat at the dining table on the lap top.  I find that by the time I finish in the afternoon my hands are somewhat jaded. Despite taking  regular breaks, it is still an issue. Needless to say, modelling after that is tricky and is taking a bit of a back seat at present. 

In the great scheme of things, these are not insurmountable issues and a great many people simply get on with far more serious issues. To me though, after years of good health and fitness, this will take some getting used to. But I will sort out this blip. 

It is what it is. 

Rob. 

Sorry to hear about your health issues, one of my colleagues has had similar issues with long Covid. Have enjoyed your layouts to date, especially Sheep Dip so hope that you are able to return to modelling soon. 

Notice you say that you work on a laptop for many hours a day. Apologies if you think I’m prying, but just wondering whether that could be adversely affecting your wrists. My wife worked from home one day a week pre-Covid and full time at home for the last year. When she started working from home after our daughter was born, her employer provided her with a proper docking station, keyboard and chair so that she could work at the computer without it affecting her health. Hope that you are able to do likewise. 

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

When I was still at work (along time ago now) a lady who used a computer all day started having pains in her wrists.  The firm provided a soft support on which to rest her wrists.  This made it more comfortable but more importantly  it raised her wrist above the work top.

As you've had trouble before I am sure you know this but the worst thing is to have your hands 'tipped back' whilst using your fingers.  This irritates the bits that go through your wrist and waggle your digits.  Your hand should be in line with your arm or slightly tilted downwards.

I hope everything improves soon.

Rodney

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'd second the suggestion of a wrist support.

I bought a mouse mat with one attached a few months back* and a few aches and pains I'd previously put down to "it's just my age" have disappeared.

John

* My Wessex Trains freebie had finally disintegrated....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Something else I found that made a huge difference with working from home was to get a decent chair. I was getting backache using a dining chair, a properly adjustable one has stopped that completely- also better for the wrists as it gets your arms at the right angle. 

Also minimise use of tablets and phone screens as they're not good for wrists (he says, typing on a tablet...)

Edited by Nick C
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2021 at 20:17, 2ManySpams said:

We had lamb chops for tea tonight.

Ewe-sheep-1-01.jpeg.691e850c55d4b90631f5c75cc984a854.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11