2 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Easy. Cut the wings off at the solebar level, and delete the rear and mid-upper turrets.

Isn't that what the government did that to the RAF in the '30s and got a nasty shock at the end of the decade?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• NHY 581 changed the title to The Sheep Chronicles : Chapter 5: Outwool. A pastoral corner of the Wisbleat and Upwool.......The Sheep goes East. These are the continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart, connoisseur of traditional British breakfasts and well filled baps.
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

As a change from posting photos, I thought a few thoughts from Chairman Sheep. 

I hope to make a proper start in the next couple of weeks on Outwool so perhaps a few words to put things into context. There will always be an element of winging it in my layouts. I don't plan. I have ideas and these normally wait until I have a base board, track and buildings before they come to fruition. 

My layouts are not complicated. I keep it simple as this is my level. So I don't have to worry about complex electricals or tricky baseboard construction. I'm simply not built that way. That might change one day but for now, I'm okay with it. 

Outwool will therefore be quite simple as alluded to with my dining table mock up. Minimal buildings and scenic features. Much flat grass and flowers, drawing on things learnt so far. 

This view of Bleat Wharf by Andy York hints at things to come. Think J70 rather than 3F. 

Screenshot_20201204-162648_Exactly-01.jpeg.0c0651ecd67f169f40c98211d9d33483.jpeg

As does this view, again of Bleat, with one of Alex,'s { Wiggers of the parish } J70s in residence on a misty morning, on the edge of time. Pretty sure Wiggers took the photo at Rmweb show, Taunton 2019 (?) and I tweaked it...I think. 

EA6F7BE9-1311-499A-AD38-B09CBF8C260E.jpeg.084bbd8371e131b4efb9f8131796243b.jpeg-01.jpeg.8383d6ebc00edd560fd7dde7623901fd.jpeg

Here are a few protype photos. 

The first two are colourised by myself.  Unfortunately I am unable to credit the original photographers although the colourised views have a H C Casserley ring to them. 

J70_No._68217_at_Upwell_(1950)-colorized-02-01.jpeg.e12d8a40e03030f9418c8b2edb416fb2.jpeg

out0012-colorized-01.jpeg.847da6a1c53995fed4bb565a88868c13.jpeg

This is a view of Upwell. A lot more trackwork than Outwool will have but it provides a suggestion of the air of neglect I'm after. 

Upwell_yard_(1950)_01-02.jpeg.de8b46fbb0e42512f5db998813b4e6b1.jpeg

I am hoping my efforts will end up as a neglected version of Bleat Wharf with out the tall buildings but with tall grass, flowers and big skies...

All I can do is have a go, inzzn nit, look ewe. 

Rob. 

You could with a few sheep in there - keep the grass under control...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Upwell_yard_(1950)_01-02.jpeg.de8b46fbb0e42512f5db998813b4e6b1.jpeg

That is one fascinating picture. The amount of grass growing in the trackwork is not something that I would have thought permissable but, as you may know, I'm not conversant with how things really were during real railways' operating years. You've given me (further) pause for thought about what is happening elsewhere on RMweb.

I note the ground signals, but were there any operating levers around, or were thay controlled from a ground frame of signal box? Or are they not ground signals but operating mechanisms for which the shunter carried a lever around?

• Like 2

If you are commenting on the Upwell picture, I think you'll find no ground signals on there. Just point levers, such as that to the right of the first point in. And the amount of grass you see is more the effect of disuse on those sidings. Have a look at any of the plentiful W&U photo albums.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is all very inspiring stuff Rob, I should have left reading it until tonight as it's making me want to get in the spare room and get building at a time when the sun is out and we are about to go and play outside on motorcycles.

I do really like the period colour photos of the J70s, which is why I thought that you had made such a convincing job of ageing the Peckett photos  earlier.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

We eat other stuff you know. Just saying......

nBUTAHM-01.jpeg.88fb40afcb479e7156581d95c9df0528.jpeg

Hi Mick, 

No signals, signal box or frame. All done from levers alongside the points. The grass in the permanent way will feature, as per experience gained from Sheep Dip. 

forupload-8-01.jpeg.3d485783de3bf61045cefda908c2c690.jpeg

20200816_130542-01-01.jpeg.e88d1a8c11fcdf5b5f7c3b8dd68243c7.jpeg

Hi Stewart, 

Yes. Worth remembering that the Wisbleat and Upwool was a very seasonal railway. So the incursion of undergrowth was inevitable I guess. 

NS205896-colorized-01.jpeg.a4250186d9768ab022ead6ee3efdc7bc.jpeg

Rob. 

Family picnic was it Rob?

I must say I do find it a tad hard to tell the difference between all these photos you chaps and chapess's - equal opportunities and all that, keep posting. Which ones were Robs and which ones were from real life, please.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Family picnic was it Rob?

I must say I do find it a tad hard to tell the difference between all these photos you chaps and chapess's - equal opportunities and all that, keep posting. Which ones were Robs and which ones were from real life, please.

Sheep or trains, Winnie? 

• Funny 4

I love it when a plan, or even no plan, comes together, from an idea in the head, to form a model Railway we can all admire from afar, or at least until Shows start again and see it in the flesh so to speak.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4