• RMweb Gold

Thought I would post an interim photo of some weathering in progress on the 45xx. This will end up as 4561.

Didn't want a heavy finish, more that of a working but cared for loco. Motion still needs doing as does the adding of crew, coal , fire irons and lamps.

Also need to source etched plates. I would have gone to 247 but have read mixed reports on their service. Any views chaps?

Rob.

post-14122-0-63690400-1421061039_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-90993900-1421061055_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-18447900-1421061070_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

The good Capitan has mentioned the Ashburton Branch by Peter Kay and was published privately.  A slight oddity, as there were no passing places where two passenger trains could cross, Buckfastleigh has only one platform. And as for Ashburton, it had an unusual track layout, which required one siding to be shunted by wire hawser and the signalling was very non-conformant to 20th century practice!!

However there was a 1911 resignalling scheme that was never implemented. the signal box nameplate was delivered but was found broken in two in the engine shed on closure. It's now in the museum at Buckfastleigh.

But passenger could (and did) pass goods at Buckfastleigh.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Paul I will keep an eye out. This is turning out to be a real voyage if discovery. It was meant to be just as the title suggested, a diversion but it is proving to be quite absorbing in its own right.

Could be worse I suppose. I could become interested in the LNER... ....

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thought I would post an interim photo of some weathering in progress on the 45xx. This will end up as 4561.

Didn't want a heavy finish, more that of a working but cared for loco. Motion still needs doing as does the adding of crew, coal , fire irons and lamps.

Also need to source etched plates. I would have gone to 247 but have read mixed reports on their service. Any views chaps?

Rob.

Modelmaster or Fox will have the number you require.Both first class mail order outfits.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Paul I will keep an eye out. This is turning out to be a real voyage if discovery. It was meant to be just as the title suggested, a diversion but it is proving to be quite absorbing in its own right.

Could be worse I suppose. I could become interested in the LNER... ....

Rob.

Now you've done it..........Hemyock Branch......Thompson Sub stock........yea.

P

However there was a 1911 resignalling scheme that was never implemented. the signal box nameplate was delivered but was found broken in two in the engine shed on closure. It's now in the museum at Buckfastleigh.

But passenger could (and did) pass goods at Buckfastleigh.

Interesting to learn that the nameplate survives: first time that I have seen this fact mentioned anywhere. C J Freezer mentioned in one of his track plan books that he had 'been assured by the Stationmaster that the cast plate existed' , but added that he 'presumed it ended up in a scrap furnace', or words to that effect. Other writers have mentioned the existence of the signal box nameplate, but none seem to mention its survival (but then I don't have that many books!).

• RMweb Gold

Now you've done it..........Hemyock Branch......Thompson Sub stock........yea.

P

Oh crap!

You mean to tell me that one of those lovely brakes as produced by Hornby actually made to Devon.

Not good. Not good at all...Really?

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Rob....it was actually two coaches!!!!!! Everyone except you and me will tell you the numbers, livery, colour of seats, colour of Guards eyes, what sort of Izal bog paper was used....all sorts of useful info.

If they CBA I can find out the info for you.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fear not Rob. 45s were banned from the Hemyock branch. It was 48s / 14s only from the thirties until the end of steam. The Hemyock was another oddity and far from typical, if such a thing ever existed, as a Devon branch line.

Oh isn't he the lucky one; that is until the 'new' 14XX comes out.

That fuzzy pic shows only the one coach. Sorry, I did think there were two. Perhaps there was another in the rush hour?

Would be good to have mixed trains (there is evidence) though and you could even extend up to using diseasels (well D63XX anyway).

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

W87245E and W87270E according to Colin Maggs in The Culm Valley Light Railway - Oakwood Press. Are they Thompsons??

Yup. The original Comet Models instruction sheet for them (Thompson NG Stock) mentions this allocation. Both Brakes; no bogs so ignore my comment about Izal.

E10.pdf

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby coaches match. They are to diagram 340, same as the Hemyock coaches.

Many thanks to Ducky for opening his beak. Not only am I now modelling Western region steam, I am now buying Eastern coaches.

Flipping great.

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3389&sid=55c7c7a33299cb70767ed7717aaade5e

post-14122-0-83607100-1421071381_thumb.jpg

• Funny 1

Interesting to learn that the nameplate survives: first time that I have seen this fact mentioned anywhere. C J Freezer mentioned in one of his track plan books that he had 'been assured by the Stationmaster that the cast plate existed' , but added that he 'presumed it ended up in a scrap furnace', or words to that effect. Other writers have mentioned the existence of the signal box nameplate, but none seem to mention its survival (but then I don't have that many books!).

In the Museum, August 2014

post-5402-0-76402900-1421071540_thumb.jpg

[EDIT] you can see the join in real life

[EDIT 2] In Peter Kay's Ashburton book there's a photo of the broken plate.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chaps, I'm gobsmacked by the speed with which this thread is bumbling along.

Thank you all thus far, for all the bumf and interest shown.

Better get my finger out and start building something !!

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Build something....are you crazy man? There must be no building for at least 8 pages. The 'gang' must be allowed to get totally frothing before the slightest movement towards a hammer is made.

Sincerely, 

I.K. Brunel.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Paul. I must admit I like the idea of the Thompson. Not for the purists I accept but if ever there was a 'prototype for everything's alarm, this is it.

Bloody Duck.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Paul. I must admit I like the idea of the Thompson. Not for the purists I accept but if ever there was a 'prototype for everything's alarm, this is it.

Bloody Duck.

Rob.

I think I read in the Michael Messenger book the other day that the Thompsons were also treated to a weekly run to Exeter and back to recharge their batteries?

Over on Western Thunder, Steve Cook has been upgrading a Hornby Thompson brake - http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/culm-valley-light-railway-coach.4102/page-2#post-111536

Rob.

That's top class stuff, Rob - what methods and materials did you use, please?

• RMweb Gold

In a bid to amuse No.1 daughter, we got the crayons out, so to speak. This is the plan she came up with.

Signal box is the Bachmann Blue Anchor example alongside road, overlooking river/bridge and level crossing combo. Gates are opened and closed by large wheel in signal box.

Small hut, bottom right is the Bachmann Pendon Wash house.

Blue is river, green grass, green swirly bits are trees.

Overall length of scenic bit is 5ft. Width,2ft ish.

Great fun this railway modelling lark. Bamfylde Bridge is taking shape ??!

Rob

post-14122-0-41753900-1421077402_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I think I read in the Michael Messenger book the other day that the Thompsons were also treated to a weekly run to Exeter and back to recharge their batteries?

Over on Western Thunder, Steve Cook has been upgrading a Hornby Thompson brake - http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/culm-valley-light-railway-coach.4102/page-2#post-111536

That's top class stuff, Rob - what methods and materials did you use, please?

Thank you CK. I am quite taken aback by your kind words.

I use Humbrol weathering powders and just work them until it looks right to my good eye. I use four colours, black, smoke, dark earth and iron oxide. I prefer the iron oxide to their rust which does seem a tad bright.

Rob.

• Like 1