• RMweb Premium

Have you had a chance yet to check the space for running the passenger loco round it’s stock in the platform? It looks like the maximum is one coach length using a tender loco, but if using short locos only perhaps you could move the points a little nearer the buffers and be able to run round two? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brush. 

I will only use one coach and don't intend running tender locos at Lambston. Just small tank engines. 

I want it to be a bit awkward to operate. More interesting that way. I will look to add a bay as well. 

Rob. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 14/09/2019 at 06:46, NHY 581 said:

A Peckett 0.6.0st awaits in my local emporium but I have held off picking it up as I am fearful it will send me off on an industrial tangent in the Radstock area.......Woolington Colliery exchange sidings anyone?

There are also multiple versions of Hornby's 0.4.0 Peckett looming. 

The answer's quite simple, mein lieber Herr von Schafenbahnhofmitkleinloks, just have a BR location, with an off-scene industry of some kind, into which NCB or industrial locos are permitted to run.

Once you turn on the tap lots of Andrew Peckswellclarkewardles will just keep coming!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

The answer's quite simple, mein lieber Herr von Schafenbahnhofmitkleinloks, just have a BR location, with an off-scene industry of some kind, into which NCB or industrial locos are permitted to run.

Once you turn on the tap lots of Andrew Peckswellclarkewardles will just keep coming!

In other words, the trick is not to model the colliery itself, but the Exchange Sidings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2019 at 19:31, Captain Kernow said:

Convincing backscene there, Rob.

Thank you. I was wondering what to use and whilst in the dining room I had a bit of a light bulb moment..

On 15/09/2019 at 20:46, Captain Kernow said:

In other words, the trick is not to model the colliery itself, but the Exchange Sidings.

I think that is very much most likely. 

One can be quite inspired if the right photo pops up............I do rather like these shots from North Wales. This is the prototype for the latest narrow gauge engine shed from Bachmann. 

Now if a Peckett would fit through the door...............a small leafy, slightly overgrown engine sheddy  layout beckons methinks. ....

Rob 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

One can be quite inspired if the right photo pops up..

Now if a Peckett would fit through the door...............a small leafy, slightly overgrown engine sheddy  layout beckons methinks. ....

My absolutely favourite inspirational photo of a grimy Peckett in leafy surroundings can be found on page 19 of Industrial Railways in Colour, Volume 2 (by Michael Poulter, Irwell Press, 2006), featuring the wonderful 'Sir Gomer' of Mountain Ash.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Would a small town gasworks require a 'grimy Peckett' or similar to shunt some wagons too?

Arhs_gasworks.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Would a small town gasworks require a 'grimy Peckett' or similar to shunt some wagons too?

Arhs_gasworks.jpg

Except that, apart from the well known examples in Co Durham and Northumberland, the norm was that privately owned locos were not allowed on to BR or the previous railway companies' tracks. BR locos were usually allowed as far as a stop board into the privately owned siding where exchange of traffic may be effected, but by and large this was only ever as far as absolutely necessary.  Private industrial locos should not be seen on BR track unless there is as specific reason, and apart from Northeast England there wasn't as a rule!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Not aware of the image, CK, however,  I do rather like an industrial locomotive in a leafy surround. 

I'm not sure that I can just scan the image in and post it on here, as it's from a book, but then again, I don't have an operational scanner at the moment, thanks to various previous Microsoft enforced upgrades. I could take a photo of it on my camera and PM it to you, perhaps?

it really is very Pecketty and leafy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Proper job name on that one...

I prefer the name on this one...

14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

37808023701_1ab3684390_b.jpg

Neatly written in upper case scrawl typeface. Was the David in question a miner, drive, fireman, or simply a pimply, cheeky lad from the local school? Or maybe it is that other kind of greatness and the loco really is call "Sir David"... but the linesmen affectionately know him as Dai. That bit's important... Sir David can be a bit overawing, but Sir Dai won't even scare the sheep!

Kind regards. Neil

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Serge On? Wasn't he something to do with Jane Firkin?

Wasn't she the "Girl on a Bicycle" (wearing a donkey jacket?) I think she got married in Barry Docks.

Oh no; my mistake. I'm thinking of Marianne Marigold Faithless. She could often be seen following John  (Jack) Weeknease on his photographic vagabondages around the North.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Can't Remember.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Serge On? Wasn't he something to do with Jane Firkin?

Nah ! You're mixing him up with the bloke who saw me in hospital !

K.Williams

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

£40! Dapol wagons of that age have rubbish wheels and questionable accuracy. Apart from that, a bargain, you should buy it for him Ian.  :P

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6