18 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The Captain and No1. navigate through some choppy seas despite the best attempts of the Welsh Railways Research Circle to sink the good shop Bleat Wharf. 

20200118_133001-01.jpeg

I like the look of the facia and general presentation, and even the fiddle yard looks very posh. Also where do the controller wires go to, a Din plug/ socket arangement? Can you give me any details on how you did them , please.

Regards Paul

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

Bleat went well yesterday with only an occasional issue with one of the points. This was simply down to me being a tad lazy and not cleaning the track prior to the show. 

The Pesky Pannier was a bit of a star. Faultless running throughout and it actually relegated the 3F to a support act. 

I must say I was impressed by the Captains D63xx. A very nice model and weathered to a T by Tom Foster. 

I think we may well see a diesel option for Bleat Wharf in the future. I really fancy a green 63 along with a Class 14. We shall see. 

Thoughts now turn to prepping Mutton for the Yate show on the 1st February. 

Updates to follow. 

Rob. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, paulbb said:

I like the look of the facia and general presentation, and even the fiddle yard looks very posh. Also where do the controller wires go to, a Din plug/ socket arangement? Can you give me any details on how you did them , please.

Regards Paul

Morning Paul. 

Thanks for your kind words. 

Regarding the controller wires, nothing as posh as a 'din' plug I'm afraid. 

I only have two wires to the controller therefore a simple 7.2v battery connector does the job. It feeds a length of speaker wire on the rear of the layout. A further feed goes from here to the kick back siding. 

Seemples.  

Rob 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The Pesky Pannier was a bit of a star. Faultless running throughout and it actually relegated the 3F to a support act. 

Nuf said.

Most enjoyable :drink_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bgman said:

Nuf said.

Most enjoyable :drink_mini:

Too smug by 'arf ....:pleasantry:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I think we may well see a diesel option for Bleat Wharf in the future. I really fancy a green 63 along with a Class 14. We shall see. 

And thinking about another discussion, perhaps we'll see one of these in the future as well?

20191208_164236.jpg.d34dc434a01fc666b2eabfd8dba67d84.jpg

And perhaps one of these as well?

41241-1-irf.jpg.c5839050b9bb04809c344572e086d1e0.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Giving it a sort of Bristol/Gloucester vibe.  I can see a Forest of Dean layout on the horizon!

6 hours ago, colin penfold said:

1053954608_wine-snob2.jpg.4514042e52a6704f9460e49951762555.jpg

Useless trivia of the day; the word cravat is rooted in a French version of 'Croat'.  They employed Croatian mercenaries in the 100 years war who were notoriously bloodthirsty and murderous.  These Croatians wore neck scarves which became known in France as cravate.  Yer man in the photo looks distinctly lightweight to be a 14th century mercenary.  

The French also employed Swiss crossbowmen, to the horror of Froissart, the chronicler whose work Shakespeares' 100 year war plays are based on.  Froissart was a terrible snob, and horrified that men of low birth such as crossbowmen, and of course the English longbowmen, who were Welsh mercenaries in the early years of the was until the English had trained their own peasants, could bring  down armoured knights and nobles on each side; despite being himself French he seems to have more regard for English nobles than French peasants.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

And thinking about another discussion, perhaps we'll see one of these in the future as well?

20191208_164236.jpg.d34dc434a01fc666b2eabfd8dba67d84.jpg

And perhaps one of these as well?

41241-1-irf.jpg.c5839050b9bb04809c344572e086d1e0.jpg

If we do, let's hope it's trailing wheels are not derailed, or is that a trick of the light?

• RMweb Gold

But probably not one of these, this being the other loco that I had thought might have been recessed in the yard at Bleat Wharf, perhaps en-route to the munitions factory at Huntspill?

IMG_5132.JPG.8d255c387986af1332836c342e1fc57f.JPG

This small industrial 0-4-0 diesel mechanical was one of a small class produced speculatively by Taffson, Evans & Jenkins in their Rhondda works during the late 1950s. A few were sold to industry and the MoD, but the class was not widespread and did not really dislodge small diesel locos from the more established manufacturers in terms of new orders.

This example was sent to work at the military stores depot at Westonzoyland in the 1960s, but is also believed to have worked in similar locations in Wales.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

If we do, let's hope it's trailing wheels are not derailed, or is that a trick of the light?

Kernow scientists have closely examined the image and regret to report that you might need to deploy another desk lamp, dear Mr J.

But it was good to meet you yesterday and have a chat!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Useless trivia of the day; the word cravat is rooted in a French version of 'Croat'.  They employed Croatian mercenaries in the 100 years war who were notoriously bloodthirsty and murderous.  These Croatians wore neck scarves which became known in France as cravate.  Yer man in the photo looks distinctly lightweight to be a 14th century mercenary.  

The French also employed Swiss crossbowmen, to the horror of Froissart, the chronicler whose work Shakespeares' 100 year war plays are based on.  Froissart was a terrible snob, and horrified that men of low birth such as crossbowmen, and of course the English longbowmen, who were Welsh mercenaries in the early years of the was until the English had trained their own peasants, could bring  down armoured knights and nobles on each side; despite being himself French he seems to have more regard for English nobles than French peasants.

What, by Odins ar$e!,  have you been sniffing? !!

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

But it was good to meet you yesterday and have a chat!

It was lovely to put a face to your name as well, mon capitaine!  Other faces put to names were Re6/6 and Stationmaster Mike, britons all and very gallant gentlemen!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

What, by Odins ar$e!,  have you been sniffing? !!

Not Odin's ar$e (so that's where his other eye went; it's winking at me) at any rate, or anything else despite my inner city mean streets location, though you can sometimes get a contact high from the neighbours.  You can read Froissart free online, which is more than Stratford Bill could do, but Stratford Bill could read French and therefore the chronicles in their original form.  But you distinctly get an impression that Frossart would not have approved of the hoi polloi being able to access him in this way.  

He's not a bad read, and his patent snobbery is in itself comic.  His impartiality to events, given that he was a Frenchman and the English were, with some considerable justification, viewed as raping pillaging murderers of French civilians during their Black Prince led forays at the time, is admirable though, and he gives credit to his enemies whenever it is due, at the same time criticising his own side for their failings, a remarkably fair minded and even handed approach that suggests that he was a reliable observer of events, at least by 14th and 15th century standards.  Stratford Bil, (ter boi or not ter boi, that is the kwestshun, dooks, fill oop the wall wiv ower inglish did, croi 'avoc and let slip the dogs of wower) was referencing him about 150 years later.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

Bleat went well yesterday with only an occasional issue with one of the points. This was simply down to me being a tad lazy and not cleaning the track prior to the show. 

I must say I was impressed by the Captains D63xx. A very nice model and weathered to a T by Tom Foster. 

Thoughts now turn to prepping Mutton for the Yate show on the 1st February. 

Updates to follow. 

Rob. 

Rob

Many thanks for your reply. Are  the facia boards ply ?

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, paulbb said:

Rob

Many thanks for your reply. Are  the facia boards ply ?

Paul

Morning Paul. 

The fascia and backscene are 9mm MDF, backed with softwood. The fascia stores the fiddleyard when in transit. 

Rob 

• Informative/Useful 4

On 19/01/2020 at 17:31, Captain Kernow said:

But probably not one of these, this being the other loco that I had thought might have been recessed in the yard at Bleat Wharf, perhaps en-route to the munitions factory at Huntspill?

Ah, Huntspill.  I was working on that section of M5 construction, over which the link line to the munitions factory existed.  A new overbridge to the M5 was built, but the existing loco didn't have the power to get up the slope with a load on, therefore 'Extra Works materials' were required from the contractor in the shape of a more powerful loco to be supplied to the MoD munitions factory.
And.... no I don't know what the loco's were, my interests at the time were more, shall we 'social' :rolleyes:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Rob, really nice weathering and your stock has that touch rather like an artist painting ,in that you know it's one of yours even without a signature.:boast:

That is extremely kind of you to say so, Rob. Thank you. 

I'm hoping to get another couple of wagons done before the Yate show a week today. 

Rob. 

• Like 2