• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, 46444 said:

Thanks Rob, 

Lovely weathered Bagnall there. 

Be nice to see a few more shots of it in action. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Hi Mark. 

Dug out one of the little chaps..... ( I have five.) 

20200526_190648-02.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Alister_G said:

That's not a Bagnall, it's a Jinty...

running away now...

Al.

I can see what you did there, young man.......

Right, on the dear old S&DJR ( Doffs cap)...the following applied..

Bagnalls were Jintys. 

Bulldogs were 3F tender jobbies 

Armstrongs  were 4Fs. 

Champion :good:

Edited by NHY 581
Idiot Sheep.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Have you learnt all that from books?

PS - Champion was a Wonder Horse.

You can't learn that from books, you just know it or have to hang about down Radstock Co-Op... I mean shed to find out.

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

You can't learn that from books, you just know it or have to hang about down Radstock Co-Op... I mean shed to find out.

Spoken like a true native...........oh hang on.........

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Apparently, I learned recently, at my local shed, Rowsley, the 3F's were called Dobbins.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, NHY 581 said:

Well the sad news is, that not only has the shed been long gone, but The Radco, that 50's icon and beacon of light, is most likely being turned into hardcore and a lesser cathedral of shopping being rebuilt to replace it.

Screenshot_20200527-090238.png

• Friendly/supportive 4

Last time I went to Radstock was about 20 years ago, on a detour coming back from Westland at Yeovil. Didn't find much in the way of railway remains but there was an interesting scrapyard in a railway yard with brick retaining walls. It had obviously been there for donkeys years, judging by some of the relics I bought. I bet that has something less interesting built on it now too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Last time I went to Radstock was about 20 years ago, on a detour coming back from Westland at Yeovil. Didn't find much in the way of railway remains but there was an interesting scrapyard in a railway yard with brick retaining walls. It had obviously been there for donkeys years, judging by some of the relics I bought. I bet that has something less interesting built on it now too.

Ah Allan Hall's scrappy, my last wrist watch was lost there. I say lost, I could see it 3 cars down, but couldn't get it back and all for what turned out to be a free part anyway, an Allagro plastic headlamp adjuster thingy.  Crickey, over 30 years ago now!

The yard is on the bottom part of what was the tramway to Clandown pit, which joined the S&D next to Veater's, where one could buy maggots by the pint, when I were a lad.

Edit: sorry, to answer your question, I don't know if the scrappy's still there but I doubt anyone could afford to build on it without having to remove all the toxic soil etc.

He once bolloxed me for smoking in his yard, fair enough until you realise he was cutting a battery out of a car with a gas axe at the time..  Shooting flames out of the fillers from petrol tanks was also fun to watch, health and safety having not reached Radstock (if indeed, it has by now) in the late 80's.

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Wait a minute !

How do we know he is ?

This chap could be scamming us to get C.W.S Tokens for his milk !!!

A.C.Omrade 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, bgman said:

Wait a minute !

How do we know he is ?

This chap could be scamming us to get C.W.S Tokens for his milk !!!

A.C.Omrade 

Native or no, it's good to see him posting again.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Native or no, it's good to see him posting again.

Agreed, St E. 

Dubbers, welcome back. 

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Dubbers

Where, what, why ?

Very glad to hear from you, by the way, did you get a little hand put on that watch ?

I can send you a new one so that you will know when to post !

Comrade G

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Ah Allan Hall's scrappy, my last wrist watch was lost there. I say lost, I could see it 3 cars down, but couldn't get it back and all for what turned out to be a free part anyway, an Allagro plastic headlamp adjuster thingy.  Crickey, over 30 years ago now!

The yard is on the bottom part of what was the tramway to Clandown pit, which joined the S&D next to Veater's, where one could buy maggots by the pint, when I were a lad.

Edit: sorry, to answer your question, I don't know if the scrappy's still there but I doubt anyone could afford to build on it without having to remove all the toxic soil etc.

He once bolloxed me for smoking in his yard, fair enough until you realise he was cutting a battery out of a car with a gas axe at the time..  Shooting flames out of the fillers from petrol tanks was also fun to watch, health and safety having not reached Radstock (if indeed, it has by now) in the late 80's.

I knew I hadn't dreamt it! There was an under bridge, partially flooded, that led out to the main line, beneath which and beyond saving was a Ford Consul Mk1 and a Morris Oxford MO, removing the hard to find bits from these distracted me a while from stripping bits off the 1956 Vauxhall Cresta that I had actually been after. The rest of the place was full of the usual Marinas, Granadas and rusted out Toyotas etc. I took no notice of anything post 1980 as usual, of which there must have been a couple of hundred. The place was so rammed with junk it was hard to tell what it had been, now I know at last. I did find some pictures once, taken in the 60's, I need a time machine!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:
7 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

- Champion was a Wonder Horse.

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' 'cross the sky

Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow

Like a mighty cannonball, he seems to fly

You'll hear about him everywhere you go

The time will come when everyone will know the name of...

'What's that Champ/Lassie/Skippy/Flipper, little Timmy's trapped in the old silver mine/submerged silver mine'?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I've given this some thought. The books, not Dobbin. 

The short answer is, yes. 

When steam ended I was still toddling about the place so I have no recollection at first hand..So all my knowledge has subsequently been acquired from books, like many on here. I had family links to Bath and the West Country so perhaps it was inevitable that my interest went over the bridge. 

In terms of the SDJR everyone and his dog was into the GWR. I didn't want to do the same. I discovered  that the Midland Railway/LMSR made it to Bath........as did the LSWR/Southern amongst others and the seed was sown. Here was an alternative to the GWR.....which I wasn't averse to.......in a branch line setting. Then I found some of my family were working on the Midland Railway at one of the stations on the approach to Bath Green Park......and I started reading books.........from my interest in the SDJR came the interest in the LSWR...more books......and  the Midland Railway........more books.

You get the gist..........

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I've built a shrine for my books (ex built in wardrobe).

Latest including, more (old) scribblings of Rice and some geezer building baseboards out of stuff(s).

My earliest memory of the S&D was around the time the S&D Circuit were based in Radders.  One time particularly, when I came across the sight of a cow sacrifice (by fire) and much merriment at a fund raiser, watched from the footbridge.

Of course, later my bro and I would hang about in the underpass (whilst our folks would enjoy the sights and sounds of the Radco).  It was nearly always flooded, and the underpass, I think it had something to do with the Somerset Coal Canal in a previous incarnation, then a tramway after that (or both). 

Cheers

IMG_20200527_145204435.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I've given this some thought. The books, not Dobbin. 

The short answer is, yes. 

When steam ended I was still toddling about the place so I have no recollection at first hand..So all my knowledge has subsequently been acquired from books, like many on here. I had family links to Bath and the West Country so perhaps it was inevitable that my interest went over the bridge. 

In terms of the SDJR everyone and his dog was into the GWR. I didn't want to do the same. I discovered  that the Midland Railway/LMSR made it to Bath........as did the LSWR/Southern amongst others and the seed was sown. Here was an alternative to the GWR.....which I wasn't averse to.......in a branch line setting. Then I found some of my family were working on the Midland Railway at one of the stations on the approach to Bath Green Park......and I started reading books.........from my interest in the SDJR came the interest in the LSWR...more books......and  the Midland Railway........more books.

You get the gist..........

That’s almost ditto for me too! And I’ll add Mike Arlett and his Evercreech Juntion TV series also layed a foundation not forgetting Sir John Betchamines Branch Lind to Burnham still have them all on VHS and many Ivo Peters videos bought at the annual Edington show.

Cheers 

• Like 3