• RMweb Gold
Just now, Alister_G said:

"Cooking Fat!"

Al.

Amongst others.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

It could be worse, you could be awoken by a creature known variously as the Giant Spoontongue or Giant Stickfiend. Which if hungry or in need of an early morning visit to the backyard would carefully place one fist sized paw in your eye and one in your groin then apply something upwards of six stones in weight.

I do miss having a dog, but this place is pretty small and er indoors is severely allergic to furry critters.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I suppose that you should be grateful that the Works Forecat didn't bring a takeaway, in my experience being woken by having a dead bird dropped on your pillow can be unsettling at best.

Al.

I was given half a rat on one such occasion...

56 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's the opposite of the Leek & Manifold Railway?

Which would be the Manifold and Leek Railway, or perhaps the leaky manifold railway, or the manifestly leaking railway.  This lockdown business is starting to get to me!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I was given half a rat on one such occasion...

I had a train inexplicably unable to get out of the fiddle yard. On investigating I found its progress had been impeded by the back end of a rabbit.....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Now then young Sir, have you ever considered producing a short vidjo for the masses ?

It would be a most welcome sight I believe.

G

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2020 at 20:21, NHY 581 said:

I spent a lot of time in Uphill in the 70s with family which is not a million miles away. 

Ewe too?  

Explains (from the Brean thread) the common memories of Birnbeck Pier from the 70s.  We also used to take evening walks around Uphill Junction where, IIRC there were some unrestored old industrial locos that had passed into private hands we used to go and look at.  I don’t know if anything ever happened to them.

Totally OT: My Nan who was a Welsh speaker living in Uphill, used to answer the phone and then start speaking either Welsh or English without waiting to see who was on the other end.  I never figured out how she knew who it was (it was long before modern phones).  Happy days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, bgman said:

Now then young Sir, have you ever considered producing a short vidjo for the masses ?

It would be a most welcome sight I believe.

G

Hi Grahame, maybe. 

For now, there's one of Sheep Dip in the virtual show thread. There's also one of Bleat Wharf in the digital  October 2019 BRM. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Ewe too?  

Explains (from the Brean thread) the common memories of Birnbeck Pier from the 70s.  We also used to take evening walks around Uphill Junction where, IIRC there were some unrestored old industrial locos that had passed into private hands we used to go and look at.  I don’t know if anything ever happened to them.

Totally OT: My Nan who was a Welsh speaker living in Uphill, used to answer the phone and then start speaking either Welsh or English without waiting to see who was on the other end.  I never figured out how she knew who it was (it was long before modern phones).  Happy days.

Indeed Keith. My Aunt and a couple of my cousins lived in Oldmixon. 

Summer hols were spent watching the trains from a field adjacent to Uphill junction which on occasion also housed the donkeys from the beach. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I had a train inexplicably unable to get out of the fiddle yard. On investigating I found its progress had been impeded by the back end of a rabbit.....

Pets love to bring you presents to show you how loyal they are and how little they care about your soft furnishings. I had various gifts of rabbits and such brought into the house, even bits of a magpie. My then girlfriend and I were making dinner one day and he ambled through the back door and dropped a pheasant on the floor with a thud, looking very pleased with himself. My girlfriend looked at it and said: "Oh look, an ex-bird. Is it one of his or one of yours?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

There was someone who hopefully had the bright idea of turning the site of Uphill station into a railway museum, and together some artefacts, along with the old locos. I’m afraid it didn’t last too long, presume the money ran out.

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/bleadon-uphill-station-september-1983.56269/

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Northroader said:

There was someone who hopefully had the bright idea of turning the site of Uphill station into a railway museum, and together some artefacts, along with the old locos. I’m afraid it didn’t last too long, presume the money ran out.

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/bleadon-uphill-station-september-1983.56269/

In all the years I was going to Weston with Mum and Dad, I don't ever recall going to the museum or it ever being mentioned.  We could have walked there from where we stayed with family. 

Rob.  

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

1338, a Kitson 0-4-0ST and the last surviving Cardiff Railway loco, was kept there for some time; now at Didcot AFAIK.  The Cardiff Railway sourced all it's locos from Kitson.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

In all the years I was going to Weston with Mum and Dad, I don't ever recall going to the museum or it ever being mentioned...

I found it mentioned on one of Weston-Superb-Mud's Tourist Information leaflets once upon a time, it was immediately on the places my mum and dad must take me.  It never did happen, but they took me on the East Somerset Railway at every opportunity, for which I am eternally grateful.

Think the old man loved the School's and that dirty great 9F tbh.

Edited by Tim Dubya
Invented new words.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

In all the years I was going to Weston with Mum and Dad, I don't ever recall going to the museum or it ever being mentioned.  We could have walked there from where we stayed with family. 

Rob.  

me neither passed it weekly on the shopping trip to Weston all I remember was rolling stock I think no loco’s covered in various tarps.

• Like 1