• RMweb Gold
On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 17:34, Stubby47 said:

Verdict. 

Much better than this morning after the very short session on the rolling road.

I think it will improve with more running in, so overall happy with the purchase.

Whilst putting the loco back in its box, I happened, by chance and not intentionally I assure you, to pass a glance over some text printed on a piece of accompanying  paper that appeared to be …. instructions.... 

I accept this was completely the wrong thing to do and will sit myself on the naughty step for the rest of the day.

However, I did take in the proffered suggestion that the loco be run for 30 minutes in each direction and then lubricated.

We all know instructions are merely some marketing bod's idea of "added value", but in this case there might be some justification in at least considering thinking about the possibility of maybe self-debating whether this is a worthwhile endeavour, or not.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

We all know instructions are merely some marketing bod's idea of "added value", but in this case there might be some justification in at least considering thinking about the possibility of maybe self-debating whether this is a worthwhile endeavour, or not.

Now come on Stubby, we were all warned about the dangers of self debating when we were young, no matter how worthwhile the endeavour felt at the time.  :stop:

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Now come on Stubby, we were all warned about the dangers of self debating when we were young, no matter how worthwhile the endeavour felt at the time.  :stop:

Which is why so many of us now wear glasses. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

.... in this case there might be some justification in at least considering thinking about the possibility of maybe self-debating whether this is a worthwhile endeavour, or not.

Have you been taking lessons from Captain Kernow?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I could make a comment about a mass of people, but that would go against Rob's family friendly ideals.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Have you been taking lessons from Captain Kernow?

I may, or not, be in a position to clarify or refute that accusation.  

Possibly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Dare I suggest this plan:  (Scurries away sheepishly).

Goats.jpg.9068e86ab5d2c49fa720ffe4d81c3f37.jpg

Very kind of you Porky but I have no interest at all in the railways of Oldham. 

Thank you all the same. 

Rob. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Thank you all the same. 

Rob. 

Probably for the best, I think we have all read that disturbing story further back in the thread about the chap who had his Woodend that close to Goats.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Thank you all the same. 

Rob. 

Me neither, but I have filed this section away in my "plans and ideas" folder:
image.png.9487b27b9dcb08837d4aff873506eb09.png

Two sidings, both going into the building, which also provides the back-scene, a run-round and a line continuing under a scenic break. The exit to the mainline could become a headshunt on a layout, or if kept as an exit would need a bit of thought to disguise. Possibilities, possibilities.... thanks Porky. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, petethemole said:

The line to the right of the sidings crosses the road on the level.  If it was under a road bridge it wouldn't be shown on an OS map.

Hi there,

As it's an 'old' map I would agree with you as there seems to have been a greater degree of diligence when recording the information.  More contemporary maps, e.g 1970s onward, can sometimes contain 'inaccuracies'.  This was something I discovered in a couple of jobs I had in the first few years after leaving school.  My 'favourite' was a mid-80s review of a local map that contained at least one road, and bridge, that had been demolished in the 60s; despite that colleagues did try to drive along/over them ....

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The basic principle with OS maps is they show what can be seen from above, so railway tracks, for example, will not show under a bridge, tunnel, or an overall trainshed roof.  I spent a lot of time before retirement using digitised historic OS maps on a GIS system (Mapinfo) as a research tool.  The  last manually surveyed maps were revised about 1933, so some mid/late 1930s urban developments  that were destroyed in  WW2 bombing never showed on OS maps. Post war the manually surveyed series were replaced by maps based on aerial survey carried out in 1946-47. Erratic updating became fairly common from the '50s onwards.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Mange Tout.

Project X is taking shape. ( in my woolly head) 

In connection with this, I  have acquired another locomotive. 

I thank you. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1