• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Hogwarts Castle?

Nope. Deffo Not GWR !!!!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Some years ago, I saw an Ordinance Surveyor mapping the then new pedestrian swing bridge over the River Derwent adjacent to the historic Silk Mill In Derby. He was using a  satellite locating device (a sort of tall lolly-pop stick)  to map directly on to a laptop. He kindly explained to my young grandson what he was doing and how.  Would that count as manual surveying / mapping?

Edited by DonB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

G6 then...

Nope. That's from the Real Western Railway.....not this time. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/06/2020 at 05:20, NHY 581 said:

Thank you all the same. 

Well if a mill with caprine connection doesn't suit how about a mill of asinus nature?

St Cuddies Mill near Wookey has a nifty track layout with a bit of narrow gauge thrown in for Cud measure.

The LSWR & the S&DJ Rly aren't that far off and all those uniformly spaced zider applez trees thereabouts could almost be mistaken for sheeps from a distance.

747506317_StCuddysPapermill(Wookey)SM.jpg.920d5c0a7bbeadec6db9da972d745e82.jpg

From the Britain from above website:  https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW041141)

and who is this Porky fellow?

HappyPigs.jpg.138e73b958b3855de35d40e7556b7fb7.jpg

Oink.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

The LSWR & the S&DJ Rly aren't that far off and all those uniformly spaced zider applez trees thereabouts could almost be mistaken for sheeps from a distance.

Three of my two favourite things in one sentence.

Having had a lucky escape on a eBay bid (for an ex- SECR pull push set by Roxey, that I only realised I had in the stash last night, but from Blacksmith).  I might have to get myself another B4...  thanks for reminding me I needed another Porcy.

PS: Nearest cider farm to Wookey these days is Roger Wilkins at Lands End Farm, Mudgley.

Not the sort of drink a Northerner should tackle head-on, so to speak.

Screenshot_20200628-133358.png

Edited by Tim Dubya
cider senses tingling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

52 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Am I the only one who sees a 2mm layout at the front and a well integrated backscene to the rear.

To me the running lines plus the first two sidings with wagons look like a model and the rest a picture backscene.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

St Cuddies Mill near Wookey ,
Would the 'WELLS' PO's be 'Henry Wells of Frome' - Coal Merchants?
and...
Looking at the trackwork, how did the two vans and the flat wagon with a container get there?
I can't see a logical flow of trackwork there from the 'main' line, or anywhere else.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Well if a mill with caprine connection doesn't suit how about a mill of asinus nature?

St Cuddies Mill near Wookey has a nifty track layout with a bit of narrow gauge thrown in for Cud measure.

From the Britain from above website:  https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW041141)

and who is this Porky fellow?

HappyPigs.jpg.138e73b958b3855de35d40e7556b7fb7.jpg

Oink.

All noted Porkers but too industrial albeit in a rural setting. Very nice though. 

Nope. 

I have the plan. Quietly getting the components together. In fact, aside from the track  (some) and the base board, I think I have enough to get started........

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Penlan said:

Looking at the trackwork, how did the two vans and the flat wagon with a container get there?
I can't see a logical flow of trackwork there from the 'main' line, or anywhere else.

Sneakily hidden by a grassy knoll I suspect... 

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106021037

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

All this GWR stuff is making me nauseous, and now I'm thinking that I might actually think about Drummond Black Motors... I think.

Funny you should mention that . . . . . . . .

IMG_6039_Cropped.JPG.bf79dafb40b75b1c7d98fe6b1b9976af.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Penlan said:

St Cuddies Mill near Wookey ,
Would the 'WELLS' PO's be 'Henry Wells of Frome' - Coal Merchants?
and...

The city of Wells is very close by but I can't see any other details on the wagons from up here.  The nearest (rail connected) collieries to F-rome and Wells would be around Coleford and Radstock, both on the North Somerset to Bristols, so I guess access to the Cheddar line would be via Witham or Yatton.  I can't recall the names of coal merchants around the area but I'll have a gander in the old mans books on my next visit.

Cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya
roast potatoes
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DonB said:

Some years ago, I saw an Ordinance Surveyor mapping the then new pedestrian swing bridge over the River Derwent adjacent to the historic Silk Mill In Derby. He was using a  satellite locating device (a sort of tall lolly-pop stick)  to map directly on to a laptop. He kindly explained to my young grandson what he was doing and how.  Would that count as manual surveying / mapping?

No, manual surveying was carried out with theodolites, levels and long tapes, together with a small, portable, drawing board, or in earlier days, a plane table and alidade.  Living in Southampton, HQ of the O.S., it was common to see trainees out surveying areas of new build, which was why some areas of Southampton were fairly up-to-date on the 1/1250 maps.  Only some areas though; some housing estates didn't appear for years....  Now it's all done by satellite.  It's worth noting that at a local level, not everything was as accurate or up-to-date as you might think.  On two large development projects where I managed the archaeological work, GPS surveys commissioned by the developers were more accurate than the OS plans enlarged to matching scales.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Reminds me of my surveying module of my degree at sheffield hallam uni. We surveyed a piece of land sandwiched between park hill flats and supertram running above Sheffield Midland station. The theodolite and level were used to great effect to get long range cops of hsts on cross country runs. My notes were full of stadia tachymetry and class 43s 

Sorry to hijack Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Funny you should mention that . . . . . . . .

IMG_6039_Cropped.JPG.bf79dafb40b75b1c7d98fe6b1b9976af.JPG

We like these....

index-4-03-01.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2