I have found they are ultra sensitive to the shim/spacer between the rear bogie and chassis. It’s all held together with a rubber “ o” ring and if there’s any chance of the loco squatting backwards as it crosses the frog the front driver will ride over the vee. Not a technical explanation, I know, but just check if the front wheels lift a bit when you press on the bunker.

Rich 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Hi Rob, it happens when running forwards. The leading wheels try to go straight on over the common crossing. If it traverses the same point bunker first there is no problem.

There was a time when all 3 M7s derailed at the same point, but once I had flattened out the point (it had a raised area around the common crossing) the other 2 behaved themselves. No other locomotives have had a problem at this place, even when it was uneven.

Mm. Not sure. Mine is fine. Could there be insufficient side play in the leading set of drivers? 

Would adjusting the pick ups help at all? 

14 minutes ago, Ashley Bridge said:

I have found they are ultra sensitive to the shim/spacer between the rear bogie and chassis. It’s all held together with a rubber “ o” ring and if there’s any chance of the loco squatting backwards as it crosses the frog the front driver will ride over the vee. Not a technical explanation, I know, but just check if the front wheels lift a bit when you press on the bunker.

Rich 

I would agree with that Rich..The bogie retention squeezy jobbie is an odd solution but it does work. The balance is all important. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ashley Bridge said:

Thanks, Rich, I'd already checked on that. I knew of the problems the simple but effective method of retaining the rear bogie  could present. I think I prefer the term, "squeezy jobby", though. :)

2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I'm guessing they all have decoders in, does the problem one have any extra or missing weights which are causing the front to be too light ?

They do, Stu, but I used TCS decoders, which fit on top of the socket, being the same size as the blanking plate. Weights not affected.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

M7s. All resolved.

Sorry to take up your thread with my problems, Rob.

Nothing to do wth the M7 as such. I mentioned uneven pointwork, and I hadn't fixed it properly. As alluded to by some helpful readers, they are particularly sensitive to correct balance and I still had a slight lift to the inside approach rail to the point in question. Once hammered flat (!) the derailing stopped.

I promise I won't derail your thread any more. Consider me hammered flat.

P.S. Thanks for all the helpful comments, folks.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

M7s. All resolved.

Sorry to take up your thread with my problems, Rob.

Nothing to do wth the M7 as such. I mentioned uneven pointwork, and I hadn't fixed it properly. As alluded to by some helpful readers, they are particularly sensitive to correct balance and I still had a slight lift to the inside approach rail to the point in question. Once hammered flat (!) the derailing stopped.

I promise I won't derail your thread any more. Consider me hammered flat.

P.S. Thanks for all the helpful comments, folks.

Feel free Mick. 

Only too glad to have the opportunity. 

Cheers, 

Rob. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Norman was a bit taken aback on his visit to Sheep Dip today...........

Rob. 

20200701_164710-02.jpeg

At last a proper loco.

You can’t beat a 48xx, renumbered 14xx of course, one of my all time favourite loco’s....happy days

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2020 at 11:19, NHY 581 said:

Nope. Deffo Not GWR !!!!

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Norman was a bit taken aback on his visit to Sheep Dip today...........

Rob. 

20200701_164710-02.jpeg

Pardon ?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Pardon ?

It's not GWR.........it's Western Region..

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

It's not GWR.........it's Western Region..

Can we expect the run down of infrastructure and services, with traffic redirected to former GWR routes?

(I still don't know why I'm bitter about the WR's treatment of the ex SR lines, I wasn't even born 'til 1968)

Edited by Tim Dubya
I was only going to have the one but there you go...
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Great.

Bless ewe!

25 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Will you be using the same shelving as a baseboard or are you graduating to a larger piece of Ikea e.g. A wardrobe 

In theory yes. But I need to remind myself of the sizes etc...I reckon the scenic area could be an area of 5ftx3ft....ish

10 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Can we expect the run down of infrastructure and services, 

Yes. Weeds etc......

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Bless ewe!

In theory yes. But I need to remind myself of the sizes etc...I reckon the scenic area could be an area of 5ftx3ft....ish

Yes. Weeds etc......

Rob. 

Saves on ballast.

Been admiring some old colour photos of Glasson Dock just before closure. Nicely overgrown.

I hold you lot entirely responsible...

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Saves on ballast.

Been admiring some old colour photos of Glasson Dock just before closure. Nicely overgrown.

I hold you lot entirely responsible...

Just looked.  That would be interesting. The challenge would be keeping the static grass on the layout and not letting the locos hoover it up. I get a fair bit of ingress into the locos  on Sheep Dip. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1