• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Is that the House of Commons?

No, Sheep are more than capable of making a decision. 

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

No, Sheep are more than capable of making a decision. 

Usually to escape from the field, roll over and die, get lost in a snow drift or any number of other ways to inconvenience us farmers! :huh: 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Brecon Beacons hill farmer in a pub once told me they were wooly bags of bones looking for new ways to die.  

I sort of saw his point; we used regularly run them down with valleys dmus.  Any other animal, cow, horse, whatever, on a railway line will move off to the side when you blow the horn at it.  A sheep does not think in this way, and reasons that it can run away from the approaching train.  It can make about 10-15mph along the slippery sleepers, and will realise it’s mistake when the train, now down to about 35, is about 10 feet behind it.  At this point it will get out of the way, then stop and turn around to check.  At this point, it is brained by the cab steps...

Stupid things.  

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

A, now retired, colleague of mine spent the first few years of his adult life as a sheep farmer.  He once told me that sheep were not as stupid as people generally thought they were; rather, they were worse.

Regards,

Alex.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

After a bit of a tricky week in work, I'm hoping to have a bit of time over the weekend to lay the track on Lambstone. 

Weather here is pretty rubbish so unlikely to be going too far from Chez Sheep. 

I shall of course provide the odd (!) update over the weekend, as per S.S.O.P. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

S.S.O.P........Standard Sheep Operating Procedure. 

Edited by NHY 581
sausage hooves
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
On 26/09/2019 at 21:46, Alex TM said:

Hi,

A, now retired, colleague of mine spent the first few years of his adult life as a sheep farmer.  He once told me that sheep were not as stupid as people generally thought they were; rather, they were worse.

Regards,

Alex.

Deb was trail-riding with horsey folk in the Scots Border country. It was Spring, and lambs were gambolling in the fields. The party leader, a local,  wondered "How can anything so gorgeous grow up to be so stupid?"

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

That's really lovely, Andy.  I have to say the backscene really adds to the image. 

Thank you. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

Yet again I am impressed with the continuing adventures  in the ovine world.  The one thing that keeps catching my eye is the weathering on the locos and stock; would you care to share a little about how you do this? (Sorry if you have already done this somewhere in the last couple of hundred pages!)

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I should add that I warm the can in some warm water before spraying as the varnish can 'bloom' if too cold. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1