14 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Very much.

Where is this place?

It's Mountain Ash. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Mountain Ash is in the Cynon valley, and was the site of a network of NCB lines serving collieries, washeries, and the Abercwmboi 'Phurnacite' smokeless fuel plant.  The narrowest part of the valley, where these excellent photos are taken, is where the system's loco shed and workshops were situated.  Part of the ex-GW Pontypool-Aberdare line, closed in 1964, is visible to the left of some of these shots and was used by the NCB.  The Taff Vale route to Hirwaun and, in those days, Penderyn quarries, ran along the opposite side of the valley, and a road overbridge spanned the GW, river Cynon, NCB lines, and the TV route, since re-opened to passengers as far as Aberdare.  

Steam continued in use on this system well into the 70s, and several locos could be seen in operation simultaneously.  Pannier tank 7754 and the original 08, D3000, were at the location as well, though it was unusual to see 7754 in steam.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

First photo of the second batch is not Mountain Ash, it's Talywaun.  This system in the Llwyd valley between Pontypool and Blaenafon was a steeply graded branch to Blaenserchan colliery, and as well as the Pannier featured Hunslet austerities and 2 brutal Andrew Barclays (imagine an AB on steroids) that were alleged to be the equivalent of 5F power rating.  Only the 7F Maerdy Monster beat them in the South Wales coalfield.

• Informative/Useful 3

On 22/11/2019 at 08:16, NHY 581 said:

post-8705-0-62638100-1483703368_thumb.jpg

5759892190_67318188a4.jpg

There you go mate, one O Gauge Pannier + 5 wagons, a small plank and you're hooked on the Big Boys trains.....come on you know you want to .....and wave your magic scenic wand over it ! Voila! ....one new layout to keep you happy for hours and hours.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, bgman said:

There you go mate, one O Gauge Pannier + 5 wagons, a small plank and you're hooked on the Big Boys trains.....come on you know you want to .....and wave your magic scenic wand over it ! Voila! ....one new layout to keep you happy for hours and hours.

G

An ever present danger, old boy.....

It appears the Dapol 14xx has been delayed............thank god!

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

This afternoon saw me doing a bit of modelling. This was one of this jobs I have been wanting to do since Bleat Wharf appeared at the RMweb show in April. 

Access to the yard crane has always been a bit of a mystery.......until now. I have added some strip wood to provide said access. 

It's still a tad rough but once the glue dries, I will tidy the ballast and add a few weeds and tufts about the place. A bit of signage and that should be that.....

A few close ups of the cruel variety. 

Rob. 

20191124_182015-01.jpeg

20191124_182048-01.jpeg

20191124_182346-01.jpeg

That is quantum better than my Peco barrow crossing.

On 23/11/2019 at 14:52, Captain Kernow said:

And the successor to the Pacer is announced.

I have ridden in the Blaenserchan paddy, downhill (rode up on the loco, one of the ABs, 'Illtud'), and I can assure you that the ride, with loose couplings and on wooden benches, was far superior to any Pacer, even at comparable speed!  Come to that, it was superior on Illtud as well...

• Friendly/supportive 1