Some water tank release valves worked the opposite way so that you didn't have to swing on the chain. The operating chain hanging down to floor level with a counterweight attached to the end, a two foot length of old sleeper in one prototype case.

The fireman would swing the hose over the tank and lift the weight onto the locomotive. All he then had to do was wait until the tanks brimmed and simply kick the counterweight off the footplate.

Easy.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Certainly CK. 

Between the wall and the right hand end, as always we start with a bed of PVA onto which is plonked 2mm static grass. 

Succesive layers of 4mm and 6mm static grass are then added using layering spray glue. Onto this are added, in the case of the left hand side, coloured flocky bits for flowers and a few light green flocky bits for contrast. The bigger leaves are from Greenscene and I'm not sure they are still available. 

The bush to the rights is a tidy amount of fine mixed green flock dumped onto the 6mm grass with a spoon. Glued and then z light dusting of white to suggest small flowers. 

Rob. 

Thank you, that was a most satisfactory and erudite discourse.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 14:19, Porcy Mane said:

Crock Depot also has its own Facebook page...which is less about Croft and more a celebration of all those weed covered railways which we thought would always be there...and if you look hard enough you can still find, tucked away, just waiting to be explored...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Croft-Depot-Model-Railway-180968538716852/posts/?ref=page_internal

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Alister_G said:

That's what you call working to tight tolerances... :D

Perfect fit...

Al.

Thanks Al.........but it's a tad too snug...by about a mm..

First time I have run vans on Sheep Dip, always opens 'til now. 

That then would appear to be tomorrow's job sorted..

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Just let the tyres down, it'll be fine... Oh, wait...

Reminds me of many years ago, I rebuilt a Series 3 Land Rover in my dad's garage. It went in fine, but after 6 months work, and, importantly, a new set of leaf springs, it wouldn't come back out again!

It rode about 3 inches higher, so we had to put a set of bare rims on it to clear the door frame enough to roll it out... :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Just let the tyres down, it'll be fine... Oh, wait...

Reminds me of many years ago, I rebuilt a Series 3 Land Rover in my dad's garage. It went in fine, but after 6 months work, and, importantly, a new set of leaf springs, it wouldn't come back out again!

It rode about 3 inches higher, so we had to put a set of bare rims on it to clear the door frame enough to roll it out... :D

I thought it was just me that did daft things like that! Years ago I sold an old belt drive lathe to a chap in Leicestershire, took it up there in an ancient Bedford CA van which had a pair of builders roof bars on it. The new owner lived at an old forge, access to the workshop was through an archway under the main house. We unloaded the dismantled half ton lathe, put it together in his workshop, got paid and left. All was well until we went under the arch.

There was a sort of clang and the roof bars that were clamped to van's roof gutters landed in the yard behind us.

No damage done and the lathe buyer was falling about laughing. I never thought about the van rising back up about four inches or so on its cart springs when empty.

The roof bars went straight on his scrap pile. Naff things anyway!

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

I have successfully enlarged my entrance/exit. 

I thank you. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

That will certainly make access easier.

Quite. Still snug, just eased out a tad. 

Rob

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

I have successfully enlarged my entrance/exit. 

I thank you. 

Rob. 

I think I've seen a video where a woman used a plug to do this. I don't think it was a three pin one...

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Flood said:

I think I've seen a video where a woman used a plug to do this. I don't think it was a three pin one...

Ah yes. That will be on the EM Gauge Society's website. They're always going on about how far apart things should be. 

They get very excited over things being too narrow. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Expansion
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

So as to the avoidance of any doubt, here are a couple of views of my enlarged entrance/exit. 

Rob. 

20200524_112935-01.jpeg

20200524_113156-01.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

A big engine at Sheep Dip. More to follow.............

20200524_121536-01.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry about this, but from now on I am going to think of this entrance/exit as your Salubrious Passage.  Don't know why Swansea came to mind, but I think that in general I am more amenable to a Salubrious Passage than a Queen's Arcade, though as you will be aware both have been extensively redeveloped since we went up them in our younger days.

Which reminds me that I have an erection of my own to attend to.  After last week's fy rearrangement my own passage needs replacing by one with two entrance/exits; the degree of salubrity is yet to be determined, but I am of the view that salubrious is definitely the way to go.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4