• RMweb Gold

In addition, the signal box for Lambton Muffler arrived today.

This will look quite jolly in green and cream appropriately distressed. 

Rob. 

20210203_223818-01.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Looking way better now that you have toned down the cheese coloured bricks, much more natural. 

That signal box is going to look great with a makeover too and I must remember to fit finials to mine!

Barge boards are awesome as well but I forgot to photograph the end.....

Tomorrow. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have been attacking a piece of 0.020" plasticard with various gasket punches whilst experimenting with creating barge boards of a New Radnor / Golden Valley flavour.

You are a very  brave man. 

The station building for LM will not have matching bargeboards with the signal box, or with the engine shed for that matter.....

It will be something that I can live with. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On a minor line such as the ones we favour, mismatched building styles would be absolutely prototypical. 

Most branches built by independent contractor for independent railway company. Independent company absorbed by GER, LSWR, GWR, whoever, they rebuild the engine shed, put in a series of tin huts, Avery / Pooley provide a weighbridge and local builder puts up the brickwork. Big railway company resignals and installs Saxby & Farmer or own design of signal box etc. 

It's the perfect excuse to mix and match, then tie it all together with Big Four or British Railways paint schemes. 

As one of the other threads on here says: "Toto, we're not in Metcalfshire anymore..."

Of course you can live with it, it's life itself, just a lot smaller and no rain...

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

On a minor line such as the ones we favour, mismatched building styles would be absolutely prototypical. 

Most branches built by independent contractor for independent railway company. Independent company absorbed by GER, LSWR, GWR, whoever, they rebuild the engine shed, put in a series of tin huts, Avery / Pooley provide a weighbridge and local builder puts up the brickwork. Big railway company resignals and installs Saxby & Farmer or own design of signal box etc. 

It's the perfect excuse to mix and match, then tie it all together with Big Four or British Railways paint schemes. 

As one of the other threads on here says: "Toto, we're not in Metcalfshire anymore..."

Of course you can live with it, it's life itself, just a lot smaller and no rain...

Rob

When put like that, it makes perfect sense. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Good luck with the project Rob. My favourite East Anglian layout is probably Bawdsey, which appeared in a World of Railways video the other day. You might have to purchase some blood and custard Gresley stock to go with the green diesels though! :D

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

So did you manage to get some spray matt varnish in the end, Rob, and if so, what type?

Is it as good as the Humbrol Matt Acrylic?

Morning CK. 

I bought a tin of Halfords Matt Lacquer..........then I located two cans of Humbrol no. 49 Matt Acrylic Varnish in a secret place.

( On top of Sheep Dip which ordinarily I can't see into ) 

Therefore, little hut was sprayed with this as opposed to Halfords finest. However, I shall conduct tests later and report back. 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Liam said:

Good luck with the project Rob. My favourite East Anglian layout is probably Bawdsey, which appeared in a World of Railways video the other day. You might have to purchase some blood and custard Gresley stock to go with the green diesels though! :D

A lovely train set, Liam. 

In relation to the Gresley coaches,  they would be too long for what I have planned. 

When I get to it, the scenic section of Lambton Muffler will be the customary 4ft long by 16 inches wide.  This will house the entire terminus. Therefore the only Gresley coach may well be a single brake forming the branch passenger service. I already have the Thompson equivalent. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the Gresley and Thompson non-corridor stock was just over 50 ft long — about 10 ft shorter than corridor stock.

Of course, you could do as was done on the Kelvedon and Tollesbury and use an-ex Wisbleat and Upwool tramway coach, a.k.a, "Henrietta".

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Yes, the Gresley and Thompson non-corridor stock was just over 50 ft long — about 10 ft shorter than corridor stock.

Of course, you could do as was done on the Kelvedon and Tollesbury and use an-ex Wisbleat and Upwool tramway coach, a.k.a, "Henrietta".

Or Hattons 6whl stock.........

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, mullie said:

At least 'Henrietta' looks vaguely Great Eastern if you look at it with your eyes shut!

Martyn

I did squint at one of those but decided against it. 

I do fancy the idea of weathering the Gresley non-corridor brake and the 6whl stock. 

Its the panelling that appeals...

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

I did squint at one of those but decided against it. 

I do fancy the idea of weathering the Gresley non-corridor brake and the 6whl stock. 

Its the panelling that appeals...

Rob. 

Funny you should mention the 6whl stock Rob......

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Funny you should mention the 6whl stock Rob......

Go ahead.....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Too late...the BR crimson looks rather fetching...

Ah! I'm going to have a look at the L&NER Brown examples. 

• Agree 1